cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interlude

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Interlude

Older members of this forum will remember the days of b&w T.V.... when there was only one channel.... and the programmes were a little on the DULL side  ( the only thing that has changed is the number of channels  Cheesy ) so Aunty Beeb thought it might be a good idea to have an "Interlude"... between some programmes....
As the Chit Chat has gone all "dull" and boring.... thought I would look for something a little lighter... so here is my "interlude"...

Apparently she was only 16 when this was filmed....
Don`t tell my you are not impressed.....
12 REPLIES
TORPC
Grafter

Re: Interlude

I cant go back as far as only 1 channel but can go back to 3 b&w channels (Dang that's showing my age!!!!)
That was amazing because that instrument must be hard to learn to play yet alone get to that level of expertise Smiley
Community Veteran

When I was a kid the Beeb stopped transmitting between 5 and 7:30 so that the family could have its evening meal in peace!  Cheesy
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

Who remembers the Potters Wheel interlude?
Potters Wheel
Community Veteran

..........and another one from days gone by Wink
Train Journey
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

How good is your memory, here is a list
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Oh dear! I remember most (but not all) of those... I seem to recall it didn't stop us watching the box though as we watched the interlude as well, some of them were a lot better than the programmes we were getting respite from.
My favourite was the express train ride speeded up; London to er! where? in a couple of minutes.
I really must get around to reviewing my last will and testament, or it may be too late.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@Petlew, London to Brighton. See post #4.
@journeys, thanks for the list. It brings back memories. Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Sadly I don't remember the interludes,but I do remember the public information adverts.
The comical 'ring a lifeboat' one',--  "Ooh look,he's waving at us".  >: Grin
And the "when you want a bus to stop,indicate clearly ".
Then the one at night ,before you got the anthem,o.e minutes silence, then 'THE HUM'..."remember to unplug your television.,we don't want any fires do we?". Wink
I may have the wording wrong,but the sentiment is there.
Community Veteran

While it wasn't an interlude (as far as I remember) but does anyone remember the public information film when the first motorway opened? that featured a family stopping on the hard shoulder and the driver getting out for a smoke and a wander, nonchalantly waving the passing traffic past them. The upshot even in those early days of motorways that it was a dangerous thing to do.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

@artmo, yes it was the Brighton Belle Pullman, a train I've travelled on several times, usually trying impress perspective girl-friends (who mostly remained conspicuously unimpressed, returning on the slow train, decidedly lighter in the wallet)

Community Veteran

@DB, I'd forgotten all about the National Anthem being played at the end of TV programmes.
I wonder if it's still played in cinemas Undecided I remember the rush to get out of the cinema before it came on Wink
Community Veteran

I very much remember occasional visits to the cinema with my Dad <ex-army and staunchly royalist> and Dad standing rigidly to attention to the National Anthem, he only didn't salute as he wasn't wearing his uniform cap (not meant to be a snide remark only an observation) and woe betide anybody who tried to push past along the row, twin brother and I were expected to follow suit. It was, to go with Dad almost always a war film showing.
I'm reasonably sure I can remember Mum saying Dad would stand to attention for the TV National Anthem in an otherwise empty room, we were usually in bed by then.