cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interference PLT report BBC

G3YBO
Grafter

Interference PLT report BBC

If you find that your internet is slow, check for interference with a portable radio.......It maybe your house or next
door using Homeplug/PLT...........Can be a problem for up to a half mile.....
http://www.theregister.co.uk/2011/04/13/bbc_plt/
http://www.ban-plt.co.uk
Regards
Roger
13 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Interference PLT report BBC

Erm?  Nothing in the BBC report, or the reports of the report say anything about PLT devices slowing down your internet, and its only the faster PLT devices when under load that interfere with your radio.
From the Register "The BBC engineers did find that when the PLT equipment had trouble making a connection – if it were, for example, on a separate ring main or used in the presence of a compact fluorescent lamp – it would fall back to the HF band and thus only bother the hams and their ilk. But the engineers noted that when the kit was running at top speed it was able to knock out the DAB reception entirely at one of the houses tested."
G3YBO
Grafter

Hi fourfourdeveon.............These units are so dirty and it has been proved they can cause interference with ADSL
Read through  www.ban-plt.co.uk and see tests.......
Regards
Roger
Community Veteran

I remain to be convinced about ADSL interference, not saying its not possible, far from it, but the jury is out and a campaign group will jump any any inference that supports their view.
I've used homeplug devices extensively for many years and have experienced the radio interference discussed, but have never experienced ADSL problems despite a home plug being plugged into the same socket as the router.
G3YBO
Grafter

Hi.............ADSL and ADSL2 both run up to 3Mhz, FTTC up to 4.3Mhz with plans to use up to 12Mhz, PLT runs 2 to 30Mhz and
up to 300Mhz on some units...........So in time I am sure it will all come out.....
Regards
Roger
geoffp0
Grafter

Has anyone ever used these units and do they work? I see there are some for sale on ebay Cheesy
Community Veteran

Quote from: fourfourdevon
I've used homeplug devices extensively for many years...
johpal
Grafter

I have used homeplugs for a year now, connecting my internet tv and blu ray player to the home network, as an adjunct to the wireless network. Never experienced any problems with speed, or radio (analogue or digital) interference.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Quote from: johpal
Never experienced any problems with speed, or radio (analogue or digital) interference.

But your neighbours might have.....  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

At one time a number of televisions suffered from interference from CB/Amateur Radio Transmissions, this was more down to the tv lacking suitable filtering than anything else and could often be sorted by winding the ariel cable a few time around a ferrite ring.
Not sure if the problem still occurs in today's TVs
No doubt with the ever increasing demand for frequency space more interference problems are bound to happen.
johpal
Grafter

@shutter
We are on very good terms with all our immediate neighbours, both with and without w-ifi networks. As I stated, no problems. Is it possible, the interference could skip a couple of hundred yards in all directions and cause my neighbour on the next street misery? Possibly, but I doubt it.  Tongue
Epyon
Grafter

I'm planning on buying 200mbps homeplugs
anyone suggest a good set?
Community Veteran

I've always found Homeplugs to be pretty much of a muchness.
However, I've also found the 200mbps devices to be absolutely no faster than the 85mbps devices.
David_W
Rising Star

I'm using a homeplug now, well, two of them.  One is plugged in by the BT master socket where my router is and I'm connected at a solid 8128 even though I'm at the very limit so really shouldn't be getting these speeds (31db d/s - 2 db above where I should be for 8128 with fastpath off) so the homeplug isn't affecting my DSL connection at all.