Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting thought.. Status.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Interesting thought.. Status.

Hi all
I've just had an interesting thought about how we judge people with 'status'. I can't help but wonder how different people see status and how they judge people by it.
So.. I'm wondering.. what status do you think you have? - What makes you think so (eg whats your job)? and what do you think of other peoples jobs and status?
I'll get the ball rolling..
I'm at the bottom of the ladder but I'd like to think I'm either lower middle class or upper lower class. I don't drive chavy cars, I don't wear a baseball cap, I don't wear tracksuits or other chavy clothes etc BUT I am out of work! I rank engineers, scientists and medical professionals much higher than bankers, politicians, solicitors etc. I also rank our armed forces over footballers, popstars and TV presenters - despite the latter entertaining us.
I'm sure there are some who will have other points of view though so it would be interesting to hear them!
7up
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
12 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Interesting thought.. Status.

DaveyH
Pro

I don't do status or stereotypes...
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

My status : -      Currently connected to XXXX XXXX XXXXXX Access: Local & Internet
However I shall shortly be "Off Line"...  Roll eyes
Apart from that... I`m too old to worry about what status "in life terms" I have... and similarly about other people`s status.... basically it boils down to... I like you or I don`t like you and that probably goes the opposite way too... you either like me, or don`t like me... either way.. I don`t lose sleep over it...
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: shutter
Apart from that... I`m too old to worry about what status "in life terms" I have... and similarly about other people`s status.... basically it boils down to... I like you or I don`t like you and that probably goes the opposite way too... you either like me, or don`t like me... either way.. I don`t lose sleep over it...
A good summation  Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

my status i think depends on the ability to look after yourself and your dependants
the UK has changed in my lifetime. I trained as an engineer in British industry and worked with a broad section of society in industry and jobs were provided for all sections  Smiley
I was then going out securing orders, and designing and constructing  Cool
where it all went wrong was we didn't invest and a lot of jobs were lost when firms closed in the UK but my training means I can travel the world still doing the job I was trained for (I'm now working on a Korean project in Saudi Arabia)
But modern Britain is dog eat dog and the only measure of a man is whether he can survive and support his nearest and dearest  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
RichAllen
Grafter

The only people who do that are the saddos who don't have a life beyond their Facebook accounts.
There's a few of those on my friends list.
Fixes: 47

I've always said that practically all levels of society are essential to society as it would be a very difficult place to live if we all achieved executive status.
No dustbins emptied, no-one on the checkouts at supermarkets, no food, no energy, no water etc.
I am statusless (new word) as I don't have superiors or inferiors.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I Treat people as they treat me, if they have respect and show interest in me then I respond in the same way.
No way (other than at school) would I ever address someone as sir and certainly don't like it when addressed in that way as I feel it's either said with sarcasm or someone indicating I am more senior to them. I Don't like any titles such as Lord, Earl, Lady etc and think they should be consigned to history.
If you don't know my name then a simple Mr will do.
PS: No it's not Mr Gleneagles !
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

So when you get your knighthood (for exceptional services in forum posting) would that change your view about titles ?,
and how would you greet the Queen ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: purleigh
So when you get your knighthood (for exceptional services in forum posting) would that change your view about titles ?,

I'd reject it. Meaningless bit of metal with a ribbon plus unwanted travel expense to go and get it. Seriously?
Quote from: purleigh
and how would you greet the Queen ?

Oi  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

I've known people from all walks of life and of all 'status'/class.  I have found ,on the whole, that whoever tgey were, if they were happy with their lot they were actually quite "classless". Not explaining it well, but a certain 'Sir' came into a bakery I worked at, with his entourage, and walked around withiut hats on in full view if the public. I took a handful of pal forage hats (the little white paper ones) and handed them out.  One of his posse tore into me "Do you know who you are talking to? How dare you?...." Sir Ian ( I don't mind giving him his title - he earnt it as far as I'm concerned, and my respect) turned to him and have him a public dressing down for his behaviour and finished by asking 'why are you paid so much money, when you cant spot an obvious error like this?".
I also know a builder, who used to get drunk every Friday and saturday, who is now megawealthy and the biggest snob you could ever meet. Makes Del boy look like the Dali Lama.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: doris
"Do you know who you are talking to?"

Tongue No, but I know what I'm talking to.
Cool My class : Standard