Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting report - but not too accurate

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Interesting report - but not too accurate

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/04/22/eu_booze/
It's once again an election issue, but Britain's reputation for binge drinking may be undeserved compared to some of its European neighbours, according to a shock official report.
However looking at the report the definition of binge drinking is 5 or more drinks on one occasion and the actual question in the survey is
How often in the past 12 months have you had 5 or more drinks on one occasion?
Have you seen how little beer you get in a standard glass in Europe - my guess is that 5 drinks (excluding the froth) is about a pint of beer.
5 REPLIES
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Re: Interesting report - but not too accurate

I gave up drinking a while ago, Not touched a drop this year, But when i did i was a binge drinker, Work all day, Drink all night, Work with serious hangovers and shakes, Then a drink to fix that at night, My benders as i called them lasted 1 week or 2 weeks sometimes more and it was far more than 5 drinks Grin
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

I haven't read to report to see if it defines "a drink". There's a difference between strengths and measure sizes of various drinks. I found one table that asked people who had a drink in the past month how many drinks they had typically had and around 10% answered less than 1. So are they getting a drink and leaving some of it?
In a quick scan I see mentions of "occasions" and "days". Some people may have few drinks at each of many occasions in the course of a day. Others may have "occasions" that last for a number of days.
One needs to compare like with like.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Looking at the questionnaire it states (pages 13and 15)
QC1b How often in the past 12 months have you had 5 or more drinks on one occasion?
[INT.: ONE DRINK = 1 glass of wine (15cl) OR 1 can\ bottle of beer or cider (33cl) OR 4cl
spirit]
This defines 5 drinks as a bottle of wine or 3 pints of beer
Obviously in my younger days when we used to go out to the pub on a Saturday evening I was a binge drinker as 3 pints over 3 hours didn't seem unreasonable  Embarrassed
Loombucket
Grafter

Oh great, now we can't even beat the Europeans at bloody drinking.
C'mon guys - some of you just aren't pulling your weight.  Roll eyes
sassy62
Grafter

Binge drinking=5 or moreHuh??...are they talking metric here?...
I tried to give up booze a few years ago..It was the hardest weekend of my life!