cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting question..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Interesting question..

I was in the shed the other day and found some old floppy drives I'd stashed there ages ago thinking "I best hang on to these in case I need them for something". FF a few years and I realised I'd not needed or used a floppy in around 10 years  Crazy Apart from some stepper motors I figured they've got nothing useful and chucked them in the metal bin.
Now I was just sat here a few moments ago waiting for a vitual machine to shut down and I for some reason put my finger on the cover for my DVD rewriter and pulled it open to see the drive inside. It suddenly made me realise I'd barely used that either  Crazy
So, am I the only one who pretty much only uses usb drives now? Do you still use your optical drives? Anyone still using a floppy?
This should be interesting..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
30 REPLIES
itsme
Grafter

Re: Interesting question..

Optical Drives, occasionally used, last time a couple of weeks ago with TV recordings of the Tour De France
8'' Floppy 28 years ago
51/4 18 years
31/2 10 years
Fixes: 47

I burned an Linux Mint ISO to a DVD the other day mainly because I have about 40 blank DVDs and no spare USB stick handy but I can easily see the day coming when the drive will only get used for playing music or film DVDs.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 8

8"   Floppy media - last used 20+ years ago.   The kids found they made excellent disposable Frisbees Roll eyes
5"  I still have a 'spare' drive and a box of media with some old DOS assembler bits 'Archived'   -  Why?    I forget Grin
31/2"  Still needed to maintain my HP ML150 G5 Server.   HP in their 'Wisdom?'   only issued the SATA and RAID drivers on Floppy - but on a machine that didn't have such a drive.   Expensive HP USB Floppy drive needed to get it fully functional.
Maurice
Fixes: 121

I haven't used a floppy for around 10 years.
I tend to only use the DVD burner for making mp3 CDs for the car and burning holiday videos I've edited for sending to SWMBO's family.
I have considered getting a Blu-Ray burner but wouldn't really use it often enough to warrant the expense as I only know one person with a player and that's SWMBO on the VIAO laptop I gave her last year.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

DaveyH
Pro

Haven't used an optical drive for a couple years, and before that was only really used to rip DVD/Blu-Rays and i stopped doing that when I realized I  had TBs of storage full of Movies i'd likely never watch again..
And haven't used a floppy drive in 22 years (since I left school)
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Is this the 5 1/4" or the 3 1/2" size of floppy - or indeed the 8" floppy?
I have used all of these, although not recently...

Community Veteran

I still have a 3.5" USB drive, but it hasn't seen the light of day in years now. I have nothing left on floppies!
My last 5.25" drive went out with the Ark! 8" discs went out with the Winchesters!
My 2 optical drives (d/l) are in regular use though for home movies etc!
Geoff,
York.
Thunderclap
Grafter

As of two years ago, exclusively USB memory sticks. But they are now being userped by the NAS Server and Cloud Drive (Amazon DropBox etc) My colourful floppies and their drive went to Silcon Heaven a long while ago. Even on the laptop, the optical drive is used once in a blue moon for hard backups and the odd DVD viewing. The PC had it's totally redundant DVD-RW removed to save power and heat. For most people, floppies are in the garage with all the other tech-litter - like VHS tapes. When SSD prices fall, the hard drive will be another thing to put into a box; just in case it's useful in ten years time. Wonder if someone is still using the old-skool mag-tape drive?
Community Veteran

So do any of you use your 3.5 inch slots for anything else? - Those of you that even have them!
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 121

I have a spare card reader somewhere which I am thinking of using next time I open my case for a spring clean.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Razer
Grafter

Used my blu-ray drive yesterday to install a game from DVD. Also used it recently to test rip a blu-ray disc. I can at any point need the drive, whether it's for CD, DVD or Blu-ray, and I've used the burn feature many times this year for various things. What I didn't use with my previous drive was the lightscribe feature. That feature was like opening a present on christmas day and losing interest on boxing day and ultimately I think it is/was a bit of a gimmick. In fact I still have some blank lightscribe discs long after replacing the drive.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Amazing how things have progresses from the days of Tape, eprom's & cards. Smiley
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

My main PC has a (presumably) functional diskette drive.
It also has parallel and serial ports.  Grin
I have a second PC, sitting next to me which hasn't been powered up for the last couple of years.
It has a SCSI tape drive (takes DAT tapes).
I also have an external SCSI disk drive attached to it.  Grin

Razer
Grafter

That's a point. Parallel and serial ports. I wonder every time I vacuum my PC why they still keep putting them on motherboards. I haven't used either since circa 1995.