Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting idea, but why so expensive?

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Interesting idea, but why so expensive?

I'd love to ditch the car one day, go petrol free and try something like this - but why are they so expensive? 

http://organictransit.com/product/elf-solo/

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
30 REPLIES
Pete11
Pro
Fixes: 3

Re: Interesting idea, but why so expensive?

Probably because of the carbon fibre panels, not cheap these days.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Minivanman
Hero

Carbon fibre? I only see that as an option.

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman     Well,..... you have got the "spec" there.... make one yourself... it will be cheaper of course, because you will not be paying for the labour, or skills needed.

You could google the idea and see what other manufacturers are offering and the prices...

Of course... you could also design one yourself, utilising parts from scrap cars....  Now that would be fun....

Pete11
Pro

Yes, the panels are carbon fibre..that's on the expensive version..not fibre glass. 

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Minivanman  Just found this....

http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/podride-e-bike-has-sweden-created-future-eco-friendly-transport-1555809

Not yet in production..... but estiamted cost is between euro2,000  and euro3,000

podcar

Minivanman
Hero

Think I'll stick to using my bus pass 'as and when' - but what a pity these things are not more cost effective as I don't do many miles these days and the idea of having a little self charging runabout really tickles my fancy and ticks all those boxes.

Maybe in another life, who knows. Smiley

Minivanman
Hero

".......Just found this"

Blimey shutter, no disrespect to the disabled but that reminds be of those 500cc 'Invacars' back in the 60s!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

shutter wrote:

Not yet in production..... but estiamted cost is between euro2,000  and euro3,000

I assume this is what you're paid per year to drive this, that's seriously ugly.

jab1
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 5

@Mook - I agree with your 'ugly' comment, but looking at 90% of 'real' cars on the road at the minute, I'd apply the same description.

I accept they are all computer designed these days, but why oh why do they have to be so 'Tonka-toy' like?

John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@jab1 - Tonka-toy", in this instance that I think is a very apt description.

Community Veteran

Hang on a second, pedal powered transport where the occupants are the engine and the technology is basically two bikes strapped together?

6aa4702cd6e63be3d6f4ec23a98270d499a42f1e

Jonpe
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 2

According to Gordon Brown the diesel car was the future. Laugh

Community Veteran

Remember the Sinclair C5? Well Sir Clive's nephew has designed a new version.

The New Sinclair

MKSlinky
Seasoned Pro

But it just a fancy pedal car.., where's the fun in that? At first I thought having solar panels it was electric but I guess that's for the lighting and bad boy sound system.

EDIT:

RALMFAO...!!!! Funny

Have you looked at the interior? No under-body to keep you warm or dry, you hit a Fox or Badger with this monstrosity and you'll likely end up sharing the cabin with him.

And then there's the wording, laughable really considering the cost...

CLIMATE CONTROL HEATING AND COOLING SEAT

$99.95

Nothing beats being comfortable when you’re ELFing. This pad can be popped into the microwave or freezer to keep you warm or cool on “those” days.

Climate-Control-3.jpg

WTFF?!! $99.95 are you kidding me? Blow that I'd rather sit on the Fox or Badger, at least they don't need microwaving or freezing first!!