cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting 'facts'

Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20,080
Thanks: 3,678
Fixes: 394
Registered: ‎06-04-2007

Interesting 'facts'

I thought I'd start a thread along the lines of 'I never knew that'.

 

So, to start with, if all the gold in the world mined so far was to be remoulded into a cube each side would be under 70ft long.

 

I thought it would have been a lot more.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

53 REPLIES 53
Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 29,037
Thanks: 2,798
Fixes: 414
Registered: ‎14-04-2007

Re: Interesting 'facts'

Gold is a product of a dying star.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,718
Thanks: 1,456
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎23-09-2010

Re: Interesting 'facts'

A couple of foot of that would be plenty for me.

Does that count as a fact?Smiley

Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20,080
Thanks: 3,678
Fixes: 394
Registered: ‎06-04-2007

Re: Interesting 'facts'


@billnotben wrote:

Does that count as a fact?Smiley


Of course... just not sure it's interestingTongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Posts: 11,367
Thanks: 3,704
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎04-11-2014

Re: Interesting 'facts'

Humpty Dumpty is not an egg.

 

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Posts: 16,827
Thanks: 5,142
Fixes: 866
Registered: ‎21-04-2017

Re: Interesting 'facts'

I look like Ori the dwarf from The Hobbit.

Oh wait, you said interesting.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 6,718
Thanks: 1,456
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎23-09-2010

Re: Interesting 'facts'


@Mav wrote:

just not sure it's interestingTongue


I just knew someone would say that.

That's a fact.Smiley

Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 20,080
Thanks: 3,678
Fixes: 394
Registered: ‎06-04-2007

Re: Interesting 'facts'

... still not interestingTongue

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 6,835
Thanks: 328
Registered: ‎13-07-2009

Re: Interesting 'facts'

Pteronophobia is the fear of being tickled by feathers.

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 14,945
Thanks: 1,009
Fixes: 12
Registered: ‎01-08-2007

Re: Interesting 'facts'


@Strat wrote:

Gold is a product of a dying star.


Er actually you're wrong.. it's the product of billions of years of burning in that star.. not just from the dying phase.

But here on earth it's a bit different because our planet isn't on fire if you've not noticed! The stuff we got here was collected billions of years ago from asteroids smashing their way around the universe after multiple stars exploded to bits... probably wiping out numerous species of intelligence I should imagine.

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Highlighted
Seasoned Pro
Posts: 883
Thanks: 257
Fixes: 4
Registered: ‎17-02-2017

Re: Interesting 'facts'

Here's something interesting..

Steve Davis is not very interesting.

Now isn't that interesting. Cool_smiley

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Highlighted
Hero
Posts: 3,923
Thanks: 802
Fixes: 18
Registered: ‎30-07-2008

Re: Interesting 'facts'

'Plusnet Forums' is an anagram of 'mournful pests'.  Huh

When somebody says it’s not about the money, it’s about the money.
Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 29,037
Thanks: 2,798
Fixes: 414
Registered: ‎14-04-2007

Re: Interesting 'facts'


@7up wrote:

@Strat wrote:

Gold is a product of a dying star.


Er actually you're wrong.. it's the product of billions of years of burning in that star.. not just from the dying phase.

The temperatures and pressures found in a main stream star are insufficient for creating heavier elements like gold.

It takes the far higher temperatures and pressures created in a supernova or a star collision.


 

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Highlighted
Community Veteran
Posts: 3,829
Thanks: 44
Fixes: 1
Registered: ‎24-09-2008

Re: Interesting 'facts'

Barns, Outhouses and Sheds are all units of volume - One barn is equal to 1.0×1028 m2. The name derives from the folk expression "Couldn't hit the broad side of a barn", used by particle accelerator physicists to refer to the difficulty of achieving a collision between particles. The outhouse (1.0×106 barns) and shed (1.0×1024 barns) are derived by analogy.

Highlighted
Moderator
Moderator
Posts: 29,037
Thanks: 2,798
Fixes: 414
Registered: ‎14-04-2007

Re: Interesting 'facts'

If you were to remove all of the empty space from the atoms that make up every human on Earth, the entire world population could fit into an apple.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 74.0 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.