cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Interesting Concept - "McAfee plans to block certain websites"

shalom2010
Grafter

Interesting Concept - "McAfee plans to block certain websites"

http://www.neowin.net/news/beware-pirates-mcafee-plans-to-detect-and-block-infringing-content-in-the...
I wonder if McAfee users will be happy with this, if it's ever actually implemented?  Maybe it will be a user option like Parent Control.
However, is it really is a case of big daddy watching you?. What do you think of it? (and will it become wide spread, ISP's already block certain websites)
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Interesting Concept - "McAfee plans to block certain websites"

Anyone that visits these types of sites regularly will probably just ditch MacAfee and use something else!  Sad
Geoff,
York.
Community Veteran

NOD already do that to a some extent in stopping you visiting certain sites. Unless you disable it first.
Problem as I see it is "protection" software I buy is just for that.
Saying a site is "potentially dangerous" is one thing but being steered to a "shop" is a step too far. I just wouldn't buy software that acts as some sort of commercial sites pimp.
I could see the commercial attraction for McAfee and I can see this happening for free versions but not paid.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Maybe they could port them to Linux sites instead  Grin (Only joking you M$ users)
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

WOW!!  I don't download anything but I can see a major problem here for MacDaffy...
What size servers are they going to use with millions of people accessing the web at once, all that data being passed back and forth, plus the processing.  I can foresee many crashes and also a huge security risk.
Not going to work methinks.
Razer
Grafter

I've wondered for a long time when any browser maker would create something like this. So here it is, but from an AV product. As I thought in my wondering about a browser with this 'feature', people will just ditch the program.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Considering Firefox already uses Google's data to filter malware and phishing sites, it wouldn't be wildly difficult to filter another category of websites, if supplied with the data.