cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance gender discrimination

N/A

Insurance gender discrimination

Yet again we are being ruled from Europe - don't know why we just don't make our MPs redundant and save some money.
Now insurance companies cannot discriminate on the grounds of gender.  Am I missing something?  I thought that this is what insurance is all about - risk and evaluation of same.  If women drivers are statistically 'safer' drivers and therefore have fewer accidents, why should they not receive the rewards for this, including cheaper insurance?  
As a female driver for forty-odd years I haven't (so far) made one claim and I am sure that I am not alone.  It all sounds a bit daft to me and am fed up of us being ruled by faceless bods from other countries.  Angry
42 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Insurance gender discrimination

It also affects retirement annuities which will be very bad for men (but good for women).
As the old saying goes, "Be careful what you wish for"......
You wanted equality, and you're getting it, including the unexpected consequences.  Lips are sealed
(retirement age is another obvious one, though women still live several years longer on average)
I foresee a rash of cases saying women have too many toilets...... Roll eyes
PS It's OUR law that's being applied, it's just that the highest-level of "arbitration" on the meaning is in Europe and the "test case" originated in Belgium I think..
nadger
Rising Star

Quote from: HPsauce
I foresee a rash of cases saying women have too many toilets...... Roll eyes
Can't see that happening as SWMBO always seems to wait longer for the loos than I do  Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

I was going to post some pictures of a ladies urinal but that would really be in appalling taste  Embarrassed
N/A

You wanted equality, and you're getting it, including the unexpected consequences.

Not sure that in the case of driving a motor vehicle this is really to do with equality as it is a statistical fact that women are better (or rather safer) drivers than men.
What is actually going to happen is that female drivers are going to be penalised and paying higher premiums to counteract the young men who do have the propensity (statistically) for causing accidents.  How fair is that?
In any case, women are equal to men and better in many cases. After all, it is not us that cause wars, fill up Britain's prisons and get into drunken brawls at turning out time!  And when men get into trouble and want someone to talk to, who do they go to?  Yes, nine times out of ten, their mothers!
Community Veteran

Quote from: nadger
SWMBO always seems to wait longer for the loos than I do  Wink

Well yes, but that's "usually" because women take longer.
However to supply more loos because women take longer is sex discrimination.
Lets start a campaign: Toilet Equality; We Men need more toilets!  Crazy
Community Veteran

Quote from: poppy
How fair is that?

Don't confuse equality with fairness.  Wink
pierre_pierre
Grafter

this is a unisex one
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

In any case, women are equal to men and better in many cases. After all, it is not us that cause wars, fill up Britain's prisons and get into drunken brawls at turning out time! 
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/8858884.VIDEO__Girl_gang_goes_on_the_rampage/
A GANG of abusive teenage girls who attacked a male shop worker when he asked them to leave his store were captured on film.
Their violent physical assault was recorded by some of the store’s CCTV network and another video camera.
Shocking images show the girls grappling with a staff member and attempting to kick in a door while hurling verbal abuse.
Click on the link for the video
sabayon
Grafter

After all, it is not us that cause wars, fill up Britain's prisons and get into drunken brawls at turning out time!  And when men get into trouble and want someone to talk to, who do they go to?  Yes, nine times out of ten, their mothers!

Helen of Troy and Boudicca for your first point, The number of female prisoners is rising rapidly for your second point, Newcastle Bigg Market for your third and I'll not argue with the fourth. Smiley
Fixes: 125

I'm not so sure we can use simple comparisons.
Looking at a few sites (one below) it seems that men drive up to 65% more than women but have fewer crashes. It also seems that women take shorter journeys than men.
Car Accident Statistics
As another site put it:
Even so, it's hard to say women are better drivers, although they are statistically safer. Women have just as many accidents as men; however, they tend to be minor fender-benders. Men, on the other hand, tend to do the job properly when they crash, and as a result cost their insurance companies a lot more money.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran

Mav, both your sites are American.  I wonder if the same statistics hold here in the UK.
Community Veteran

You bet that the insurers will not lower the chap's premiums on this absurd EEC thingy!
Community Veteran

What is actually going to happen is that female drivers are going to be penalised and paying higher premiums to counteract the young men who do have the propensity (statistically) for causing accidents.  How fair is that?

Nobody said that young men cause more accidents, only that they have more accidents, and I believe that the statistics hold true for the UK as well - men drive more and on average make longer journeys (i.e. motorway journeys),  therefore they are more likely statistically to have an accident, and when they do, they're more serious.  The vast majority of accidents are minor dents and scratches at low speeds in car parks.
John
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Men do drive more than women, and on the occasions when a husband and wife are in the car it is usually the man that drives. he then has to put up with the back seat driving, nagging and mindless chatter as well as trying to concentrate on his driving!
[me=jelv]ducks[/me]
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)