cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance company says I have had an accident - But I haven't

Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Insurance company says I have had an accident - But I haven't

Yes they can but that wasn't what the dispute was about. I wanted to cancel the claim and they've denied me the opportunity on the grounds of the other party. I have a friend who was formerly a motor insurance underwriter and a member of the CII and he assured me i could cancel the claim. DL basically wanted to put my premium up for the hell of it. They were made aware of the claim because at the time i couldn't find the owner of the other vehicle so i rang them to tell them what happened but i never said i wanted to claim. When i found the owner he wasn't overly worried and said he wasn't going to bother if i gave him the money for his number plate (which i did). DL have since confirmed in writing that there was no claim from him but its taken over a year for them to confess and they only did so after getting the ombudsman involved.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: okrzynska
Yes they can but that wasn't what the dispute was about. I wanted to cancel the claim and they've denied me the opportunity on the grounds of the other party. I have a friend who was formerly a motor insurance underwriter and a member of the CII and he assured me i could cancel the claim. DL basically wanted to put my premium up for the hell of it. They were made aware of the claim because at the time i couldn't find the owner of the other vehicle so i rang them to tell them what happened but i never said i wanted to claim. When i found the owner he wasn't overly worried and said he wasn't going to bother if i gave him the money for his number plate (which i did). DL have since confirmed in writing that there was no claim from him but its taken over a year for them to confess and they only did so after getting the ombudsman involved.

I had a car broken into and the radio stolen and I took the car to the recommended panel beaters and I then had a problem telling the insurance company to limit the repair to just replacing the glass as this did not affect NCD. But the premiums went up as would yours as their believe we are a higher risk.  
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

Quote from: artmo
HB this site may help:
Ombudsman

Thanks artmo, but looks like I have to wait another 4 weeks  :crazy:
or the company has sent no response after eight weeks,
Community Veteran

You saying that, Direct Line ignored me for over 6 months. I got in touch with the ombudsman, they apologised to me saying they'd not had chance to look at it etc, sent me another 4 leters saying the same thing and then ;etter 5 turned up saying they'd already dealt with it, sent me a letter last year and here's a copy of it.
Its a load of maloney what they think they can get away with these days. I'm aware of the non-claim thing putting up premiums but they still can't reduce your NCD for it. Direct Line did though. I'm still fighting them now!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

All you guys who have 'false' claims against you, where the insurance company are not co-operative do have a very powerful weapon which no-one has mentioned.
The data protection act entitles you to see All information relating to yourself, held on computer. if they with-hold it they are not just being obstructive -  they are breaking the law.
prichardson
Grafter

Certainly do hope this doesn't happen to me come renewal.
Having had a not such an accident near enough outside work (join responsibility), I notified the insurer to asses this and get their take on it. As part of this, I advised I didn't wish to pursue it but warn them of possible incoming claim.
It was settled direct with the other party to pay our own costs.
I shall not name my insurer at the moment due to ongoing issues with them, namely that they confirmed in writing they supplied my personal details to a third party (nutshell, DPA breach) contrary to my wishes and most certainly outside of contract (a party that has nothing to do with the claim process).
It's not the first time it has happened with them (I received the personal details of five of their other customers, including a subset of their financial details), so have no faith in my claim being closed now, so roll on August to find out.
Community Veteran

Quote from: rogadodge
All you guys who have 'false' claims against you, where the insurance company are not co-operative do have a very powerful weapon which no-one has mentioned.
The data protection act entitles you to see All information relating to yourself, held on computer. if they with-hold it they are not just being obstructive -  they are breaking the law.

It's powerful but most companies do expect this stuff. Plus they'll nearly always charge you the £10 for it which they can by law. It's not just information held on computer, its all information which relates to you.
The problem is that while they may provide you with information, it isn't guaranteed to be truthful or correct information and its down to you to detect and prove it if it isn't.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 11

The insurance companies are quick to get your premium but are less quick to deal with any queries that crop up following a claim.
Pity they don't put as much effort into dealing with unusual queries as taking your money.
Community Veteran

I had an accident which resulted in my car being totalled.  My insurer got me a new car and provided me with a legal firm who got me around £2500 for injuries and out of pocket expenses.  When my renewal came up the increase in premium was around £2 a month.  I am insured with Aviva.
Community Veteran

Aviva quoted me £4.4k last year  Shocked
Community Veteran

Guess they see you as a bad risk Undecided Undecided
Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

UPDATE:
I contacted the FOB as my 2 months have passed without any reply. After 3 weeks I got a letter today saying I needed to contact a DIFFERENT INSURANCE COMPANY  Cry And give them a further 2 months  :crazy:
However I got a call from them (the insurance company I was to write to) saying that they had got a complaint from the FOB and looked in to it and AGREED I DIDN'T HAVE THE ACCIDENT  Cheesy
They say it was probably a wrong reg number and that the claims clearing company SHOULD have contacted my previous insurers to say NO WASN'T HIM, but didn't causing me hassle 3 years on.
They say I will get a re-issued NCB form and to inform my current insurer that I was right when I said I had 4 years not 1 year, and to contact them if need be.
I then asked for some compensation for the hassle involved so we will see if I get anything out of them (or the previous insurer).
So nice to see lighting a fire under them sometimes works  Roll_eyes
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If an organisation is holding inaccurate personal data about you they also fall foul of the Data Protection laws. Try contacting the Information Commissioner's office.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Aviva quoted me £4.4k last year 

Ouch!!
Many years ago I had a car insured with an insurer called 'The Insurance Company', (I think they were base in Bristol) one evening, after visinting a friend, I came out to find my car had been 'keyed', I was young at the time and absolutely horrified but I called the insurer who reassured me that they had a 'not at fault' policy (I do remember they were one of the few insurers not operating 'knock for knock' at the time).  The bottom line is I got the damage repaired without having to pay my excess and without loss of no-claims discount (the following year my renewal showed another year of no-claims and was cheaper than the previous year).  Sadly, I do not know what happened to this company (I think they got taken over and things went donhill from there).  It's a great pity that none of the current insurance companies seem to operate in this way, they all just want to take your money and do little or nothing to protect the innocent.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
Isawitall
Grafter

Quote from: P
Certainly do hope this doesn't happen to me come renewal.
Having had a not such an accident near enough outside work (join responsibility), I notified the insurer to asses this and get their take on it. As part of this, I advised I didn't wish to pursue it but warn them of possible incoming claim.
It was settled direct with the other party to pay our own costs.
I shall not name my insurer at the moment due to ongoing issues with them, namely that they confirmed in writing they supplied my personal details to a third party (nutshell, DPA breach) contrary to my wishes and most certainly outside of contract (a party that has nothing to do with the claim process).
It's not the first time it has happened with them (I received the personal details of five of their other customers, including a subset of their financial details), so have no faith in my claim being closed now, so roll on August to find out.

Data Protection Act: Section 35
(2) Personal data are exempt from the non-disclosure provisions where the disclosure is necessary—
(a) for the purpose of, or in connection with, any legal proceedings (including prospective legal proceedings) *my bold*, or
(b) for the purpose of obtaining legal advice,