cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance company says I have had an accident - But I haven't

Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Insurance company says I have had an accident - But I haven't

How do I go about proving I wasn't involved in an accident (3 YEARS ago!)
I have a letter from my bike insurer saying I have 4 years no claims (dated 2009) I went to re-insure the bike and the new insurance company says I only have ONE years NCB and had an accident in 2008, (A HEAD ON collision which I am sure I would remember having on my bike!)
When I contacted my old insurance company they said the claim was made AFTER the letter was issued and it would not honour the NCB.  Shocked
I asked for details and was told to contact another insurance clearance company - which I have but have not heard from them for 6+ weeks.
I can see no way of refuting this claim as I was never contacted about it at the time and the insurance company is fobing me off  Cry
36 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Insurance company says I have had an accident - But I haven't

Sounds like a case of clever identity theft to me, you should be contacting your former insurers and telling them you think they've been defrauded, put it in writing.
Fixes: 123

It may not be identity theft but mistaken identity.
A claim could have been made against you direct from the third party's insurer to your insurer who subsequently contacted you by post. If you never received this letter then your insurer may have just accepted liability because they never received a reply.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

44devon is correct, sounds like an attempt at identity theft (somebody pretending to be you at the scene of an accident, gave your name and insurance company then vanished)
Quote from: Hairy
How do I go about proving I wasn't involved in an accident (3 YEARS ago!)

Think it is up to your previous insurers  to prove you were involved in an accident, trying to prove a negative event is difficult, ask them for copies of all the paperwork relating to the accident, (time, date and location, they must keep them by law) and information of any claims made (as you believe the claims are fraudulent), explain to them that you believe somebody is pretending to be you and that you want to take the paperwork to the police, be prepared to go to the financial ombudsman (http://www.financial-ombudsman.org.uk/) with regard to the fraudulent insurance claim in your name.
Keep copies of all paperwork, if you write (as 44Devon suggests) post by recorded delivery.
HTH
Community Veteran

You should be entitled to see all the paperwork in the case and I would send a recorded delivery letter to them asking for full details.  As Mav says it could be mistaken identity.
Community Veteran

Remember thought, its the insurance company that's been defrauded not you.
Although as you've lost your no claims you may technically have been defrauded too.
Community Veteran

As I said I was told to contact their claims company which I did on 24/3 (only 4 weeks not 6 as I thought before)
I asked them :-
They claim that you say that I had a head on collision on 04/06/2008, can you provide me with details of this claim please.

As I say I have heard nothing back from them.
What do I do next financial ombudsman?
Fixes: 123

What I forgot to mention, and this happened many times when I was working in claims, a simple error when the third party writes down a registration number (especially when the offending vehicle fails to stop)  can bring up a similar vehicle during a MIB check.
A good handler will follow this up and check all details but many don't due to the number of claims handled in a day.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Sounds iffy doesn't it.
If you were in a head on collision then surely you would of been taken to hospital, had the law involved etc.
I'd start making enquiries if i were you..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

A head on collision on a motor bike just doesn't involve a simple exchange of details - ambulances are normally involved (I am told I have never had one!) Also the bike was insured fully comp but was never repaired ?
Community Veteran

Quote from: Hairy
A head on collision on a motor bike just doesn't involve a simple exchange of details - ambulances are normally involved

Isn't that what i just said?  Grin
Community Veteran

HB this site may help:
Ombudsman
Community Veteran

Good job this thread came up though as i had a claim in 09 for a prang. The other side said he'd not claim as he was going to scrap-it-in for a new car anyway so he said he'd not bother. 1.5 years of arguing with the insurers later they've finally admitted he never claimed but he could still do so within 6 years. Seeing this topic reminded me so just done a tax check on his car and its been canned. Can't claim on a car that can't be inspected so they'll be getting another letter from me shortly.
itsme
Grafter

What was the argument with the insurance company?
Community Veteran

As far as I know if you have an accident even without putting in a claim, your insurer can still take this into account when setting your premium.