cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Insurance Renewal = That's a First

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Insurance Renewal = That's a First

For the first time in many years I will just be renewing my current insurance without all the MoneySupermarket searching insuring palaver.

Maybe things have changed as the car renewal quote is within a pound of MoneySupermarkets and the house one is the same twenty pound less than the sites (due to being with the same insurers).

Maybe they've come around to the obvious that it's easier and cheaper keeping customers than chasing new ones with cut prices subsidised by the old customers.

More and more companies seem to be doing that now. I've heard that even some ISP's are doing that.Smiley

18 REPLIES 18
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Re: Insurance Renewal = That's a First

The will of the majority... for once. Thumbs Up

Community Veteran
Fixes: 22

@billnotben wrote:

Maybe they've come around to the obvious that it's easier and cheaper keeping customers than chasing new ones with cut prices subsidised by the old customers.

More and more companies seem to be doing that now. I've heard that even some ISP's are doing that.Smiley

Lucky You....   as for me......

I wish ! ! ! ..... and as for the rest..... Dream on ! ! ! ...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Well you must admit it's much harder for any service provider to charge considerably more than another. Decent service and a few pounds either way and we'll not move seems to be the order of the day. No?

idonno
Pro

I wait with baited breath. Surely leopards don't change their spots that often. Haven't got any insurances up for renewal at the moment but we'll see. Last time was back in October when I got a far lower quote online (over £100 less )and yet it was with the same company. Yes, I did phone them up but to be blunt, what a faff. What should have been a quick call started to turn into a marathon. I should have just let it lapse and renewed online. Would have taken a minute or two at best.

Sure I'd love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

@billnotben wrote:

For the first time in many years I will just be renewing my current insurance without all the MoneySupermarket searching insuring palaver.

Maybe things have changed as the car renewal quote is within a pound of MoneySupermarkets and the house one is the same twenty pound less than the sites (due to being with the same insurers).

Got my car renewal quote from LV a week ago which was £ 60 higher than money super market phoned LV to ask why and they immediately agreed to renew my insurance for £ £ 1.50 less than the money super market quote.

This is in contrast to last year when LV still wanted £ 30 more than money super market so I simply told them not to renew it and went with money supermarket but remained with LV.......simply makes no sense that it's cheaper to renew via money super market than with the insurance company direct.

I suspect as mentioned in your post it easier keeping existing customer than chasing new ones with price cuts subsidised by existing customers.

There is a lesson to be learned there by ISP but they seem slow at learning things.

Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Got my car renewal quote from LV a week ago which was £ 60 higher than money super market

My renewals are with LV so it looks like my price is a fluke rather than LV being a decent insurance company.

Someone just forgot to press the "fleece them" button when doing my quote.

@idonno wrote:

Last time was back in October when I got a far lower quote online (over £100 less )and yet it was with the same company. Yes, I did phone them up but to be blunt, what a faff. What should have been a quick call started to turn into a marathon. I should have just let it lapse and renewed online.

I did that once. Never again. They made out they were doing me a special favour. As you say, even with the same company, it's quicker to get the lower price online.

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 78

What surprised me, was how quotes can be so different with different companies if you change your car!. My renewal was due back in Dec. At the time I had a company car and we had a Fiesta 1.0 as a 2nd car. Now I was dropping the co car in  Feb and replacing the Fiesta with a new Focus Mk4 1.5. My quote for the Fiesta from the current insurer (RIAS) was about £160 , which was slightly less than the previous year. However, when I checked online for the Focus, they wanted £250!!. Now ok, the Focus is a higher group but that sounded a bit excessive to me. So i checked online , and most other companies were quoting the same price for the Focus and  the Fiesta, basically, with my NCD, it was more or less at a minimum premium level. So I phoned RIAS to double check and sure enough their online quote was correct. I was about to go with one of the quotes from moneysupermarket, when into my inbox popped an email from Aviva. Apparently, as an existing customer (due to my company pension being through them) I was now entitled to a permanent 20% discount. A quick check online showed them quoting £170 for both the Fiesta and the Focus. So I went with them, and sure enough when I changed the car the premium stayed the same.

Community Veteran

My car renewal, for the past 3 years with LV, were all higher than the one quoted on line in the comparison sites... so I phoned them and got it reduced to the on-line price.... this year... they tried to RIP ME OFF again, to the tune of £55 higher than last year... despite no claims, and a reduced mileage expectation this year.

So I did a comparison on line.... and RIAS offered me a better cover, including courtesy car and something else at  about the same price I was charged last year.,.. LV wanted to charge more for... I wrote to them, and gave them pics of the quotes... and said that if they could match the quote, I would stay with LV.. they came back with a reduction of £20 on their increased price.. so I told them to get stuffed, and am now with RIAS..

incidentally, my car insurance has doubled in the past 10 years.... !   yet I have not had any accidents or claims...

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

Quotes seem based more on chance than reality, especially those for a car and although ours must be peanuts compared to many, we always question the amount when it comes up for renewal... unless it's less of course.

Watching the Two Ronnies the other night doing an insurance sketch... "What you need to understand is that you give us your money and well, that's it"

These days I have to wonder which is higher, my annual premium or the value of my now thirteen year old Fiesta.  

Community Veteran

@Minivanman  the problem is not the value of the car, or the price of the premium to insure it....but the legal necessity of having to HAVE car insurance to be able to use it on the roads....  the consequences of not having it, far outweighing the premium in many cases... and the value of the car, which the law will dispose of, if you don`t want it back ! ! ! ..

Interesting point there.... when your car is stolen by the plod, YOU have to pay for it to be towed away, and then YOU have to pay rental charges for the tow company to store it... BUT>.. if YOU decide that you don`t want it back... do you still have to pay those charges  ? ?  

ffox
Aspiring Pro

@shutter wrote:

incidentally, my car insurance has doubled in the past 10 years.... !   yet I have not had any accidents or claims...

It could be other people in your area having many accidents, causing the area to be flagged as risky.  Mine has gone up by about 1/3 in the same time.  it went down this year!

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

You are right of course although paying for car insurance can be a problem and it is based in part at least on the type of cars we drive. All a question of balance between necessity, convenience, and how cool we want to look out on the road. Waiting for a bus does not pull the birds that's for sure.

How much to insure a hoop and stick I wonder. Roll eyes

Community Veteran

@Minivanman   at our age,... we should be more worried about "pulling a bird"... from a health and safety point of view, rather than being seen as " cool " in our motor ! ! ! ..

Community Veteran

On the other hand...... pulling a bird at the bus stop..... at least you have a chance.... you wait for ages for one to come along, and then there are three .......  ! ! !