cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Ring Doorbell

Anonymous
Not applicable

Installing Ring Doorbell

I bought a Ring Pro video doorbell the other day and thought I’d take to installing it today. However having had a quick look I need to install the new bell push 12 > 15 inches further up the door frame than the existing one, so my question is, how do I move the existing wire up without ruining the filler on the door frame and two, without breaking the bell wire.

Presently the wire comes out of a hole in the filler that surrounds the door frame so I need to move this up so what’s the best and least destructive way I can to this?

Your suggestions would be appreciated.

56 REPLIES 56
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

Re: Installing Ring Doorbell

@Anonymous   Photo`s of the area of the existing bell push wiring, and the proposed placing of the new one would assist .

Anonymous
Not applicable

That makes sense @shutter so here it is. The new doorbell would go at the top of the picture as viewed.

doorbell

ffox
Pro

Could we see the wiring on the inside?

shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

My suggestion.

Mark up the place for the new bell push.

do "preliminary  fix".. of new bell push. ( so the wall is drilled for screw fitment etc)

wire the new bell push with sufficient length to travel down the door frame in the corner.

remove the existing bell push cover, and button.

Do the connections to the existing bell push wiring.

insulate the joints with insulating tape.

Replace the old bell push cover... having taped over the hole where the push button was.making a nice finished job !. 

Using brown silicon sealant, cover the new wiring in the corner, to camoflage it.

Re-fix the new bell push into place.

and test !.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Not a full face video of the caller then @Anonymous , just their right ear'ole. Wink

How about this instead?

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is nothing to see @ffox, it's all hidden in the wall as the existing doorbell was installed at build.

Anonymous
Not applicable

I've got a 45 degree mount for it @Minivanman, as that same thought crossed my mind which is why I need to move it as I don't want to view their belly buttons either.

Anonymous
Not applicable

@shutter, I theory yes, but my head won't allow me to do that. The perfectionist in me wants needs to remove the existing bell push as it will only confuse and anything else is to untidy my my head.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 191

Take the hit!. Carefully dig out the filler where you want to fit the new device. If the wires come down the wall they may pull back through the filler. Otherwise dig out the filler and do the job properly rather than you having to look at a bodge job for ever more.

Anonymous
Not applicable

OK I've just been out and removed the old bell push from the door, only to find that the wire doesn't come out of the filler but a hole in the masonry! I'm not having a bun fight with a doorbell so I'm just going to call the sparky in to do it. From what I can see it may well be that he has to strip out all of the filler between the pushes, run a wire up to the new push and cover it with silicone to hide it. Hmm, now where have I heard that one before!

I also need to replace the mains transformer as well from the existing 8v to the 24v provided in the box so he can do it all and I won't die in the process.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Agree with @Baldrick1 here. 

It would bother me as well, but short of repairing the rendering after you remove the original bell as best you can and then repainting the entire side....

Trying to patch in with the existing wires can be a real pain at times especially when trying to do a tidy job. 

PS.

Just reading your last post and "I'm just going to call the sparky in to do it"

Sound like it's turning out to be one very expensive door bell!

Ours, no batteries (or wires) needed. Smiley

IMG_3018 3.JPG

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
maisonsmith
Hooked
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Minivanman wrote:

PS.

Just reading your last post and "I'm just going to call the sparky in to do it"

Sound like it's turning out to be one very expensive door bell!

Well it sort of was, there was the expensive, the silly expensive option and the stupidly expensive option, I'll give you one guess as to what option I chose!

artmo
Community Veteran

The Ring comes as a wi-fi device as well. Why did you choose the wired one?