cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Installing Ring Doorbell

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

Re: Installing Ring Doorbell

For those who were reading this thread about ‘Windscreen Wiper Weirdness’ the consensus appeared to apportion the blame to birds. Well thanks to my new doorbell I can confirm that this is indeed the case. I was greeted with notifications this morning and on viewing the footage there are two instances recorded in the early hours of the morning with a corvid of some type on the car.

I didn’t realise that the motion detection was that sensitive but there is an option to reduce its sensitivity, however if I do that then I might miss something important.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 27

@Mook   Yeah... well worth the money and the effort fitting it... now all you need to do is to get some long thin plastic bags to put over your windscreen wipers during the night.... ( Morrisons, ( and maybe other operators ) car wash facilities, offer them for rear windscreen wipers )

Fixes: 317

I have considered this type of device but I do have a security camera watching the front of my house including my car.

I includes in its coverage some public footpath and roadway.

Footage has been used to confirm non-delivery of two items from Amazon.

Footage has also been provided on request to the Police investigating a fatal stabbing a few hundred yards away.

They were looking for proof that a particular individual was in the area at the time of the incident.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 69.0.3 (64-bit)

Life is tough enough without adding Linux into the mix.
Minivanman
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 1

How do you confirm non-delivery, I always assumed they had to confirm delivery.

On one occasion (as it's the only one I saw) a delivery driver took a photograph of the package inside my front porch - mind you, he could then just have taken it away I suppose. Similarly, a 'must be signed for' letter containing an M&S gift vouchers for the Mrs from one of the kids was just left in the mailbox earlier in the week even though the postie knew we were at home. 

Community Veteran

@Mook  These devices are not cheap. Looks like you paid around £200 for your kit, would that be about right? Did you buy direct from Ring or did you find somewhere that offered a discounted price?

Community Veteran

@Minivanman wrote:

How do you confirm non-delivery, I always assumed they had to confirm delivery.

Replyif you report that something has not been delivered.... ( cos you were expecting it )... and the delivery guy says... I did deliver it at ( say ) 10:30 on such a date... you can check the video for that period ... no show, of delivery driver around that time... 

"confirm non-delivery"

Simples

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@shutter 

The delivery driver could say he left it with a neighbour, or by the back door. We has stuff left in our garage once. 

Just saying. Smiley

Like crimes such as burglary moving to urban areas because of wall to wall cameras in towns, will we now see an increase in 'lost deliveries' to those homes that do not have a video door bell. 

Highlighted
VileReynard
Champion
Fixes: 17

Have people forgotten that you can perform a procedure, technically known as a "knock on the door"?

If they casually scatter expensive deliveries in the vicinity of the door, they must expect to be accused of non-deliveries.

I don't have a doorbell; especially not a spy doorbell - if someone knocks on the door, I simply open it to aquire the necessary visual information.

"In The Beginning Was The Word, And The Word Was Aardvark."

Community Veteran

@Minivanman  "left it with a neighbour".... that is a "non-delivery" from the customer point of view.

UNLESS.. specific details of where to leave items are filed with the delivery company.  and , usually, the delivery person would leave some kind of notification that he had done so, in the form of a card through the letter box.. in which case, his presence at the address of delivery, should be noticed on the play back of the time he/she stated that he was there.

"by the back door".... generally speaking.. doorbell cameras cover the entrance way to the property from the front of the building to the street... in  which case... the driver, traversing to " the back door".. would most likely pass the observation area covered by the said door bell camera..... Roll eyes

Community Veteran
Fixes: 43

@artmo, I bought from the Amazon link provided, I did try to get a discount code but again at the time I couldn’t find one.

Because I work from home it wouldn’t be the first, or last, time that I’ve taken deliveries for the neighbours. But this camera isn’t for their benefit its for mine. If someone says they will do something or deliver something then don’t but say to me that we called but no one answered all I need to do is ask when to confirm or deny this.

Also, if I take a delivery for a neighbour and sign for something that turns out to be wrong, say a packet or box short, again I have the evidence to prove what I was given. I could of course decline to take anything for any neighbour, but what kind of neighbour does that make me!

idonno
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 3

Last time the delivery driver used a feather duster, I got a text message to say the parcel had been delivered....to my neighbour (it mentioned their name). I immediately went to the front door to bump into the delivery driver just about to put a card through the letter box! Even though I have a note on the door to say "ring the bell", a fair number quite obviously can't read.

Most deliveries round here tend to take a picture of your front door, time etc if you're not in.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
TTman
Seasoned Pro

Maybe this should be in the thread 'have you heard the one.....'

@Mook  How many comunity menbers does it take to instal a ring doorbellHuh

Quite a few.

Just a thought!!!!!FunnyLaughRoll eyes

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@TTman 

Only one surely, with 68,271 members available for advice. Wink

Community Veteran

@idonno wrote:

Last time the delivery driver used a feather duster, I got a text message to say the parcel had been delivered....to my neighbour (it mentioned their name).

What benefit would the delivery driver get in wasting additional time in calling at a neighbours. It's always possible you didn't hear him at your front door.

Minivanman
Seasoned Hero

@idonno 

Thinking that maybe if these delivery guys were given more time then they could actually knock on doors and wait rather than having to run around like the proverbial blue arsenal.

There again, with so many out at work double income families....  

Time was when we all knew who are dustbin men, posties and milkmen were, now it looks like we'll have to check those video's in order to find out. Sad