cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inside the navy’s mighty new carriers

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

If you want to "catch up" on how the build is going......

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/inside-the-navy-s-mighty-new-carriers-1-7392587

EDIT   EDIT   EDIT   EDIT ...

Not entirely 100 about the QE.. but some very interesting facts and figures "surrounding" the ship...

100 facts about the Queen Elizabeth Class aircraft carriers

http://www.portsmouth.co.uk/news/defence/100-facts-about-the-queen-elizabeth-class-aircraft-carriers...

17 REPLIES
rongtw
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 11

Re: Inside the navy’s mighty new carriers

Going to be good for the Navy when its finished Thumbs Up  just hope they have the Aircraft for it when its ready .

Is the second carrier still  due to be mothballed ??  or will it go to the Navy

Asus ROG Hero Vii Z97 , Intel i5 4690k ,ROG Asus Strix 1070,
samsung 850evo 250gig , WD black 2 TB . Asus Phoebus sound ,
16 gig Avexir ram 2400 , water cooling Corsair H100i gtx ,
Corsair 750HXI Psu , Phanteks Enthoo pro case .
Community Veteran

@shutter, thanks for the link. Interesting as alwaysSmiley

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Why does it have twin islands and why are we doing it different to the rest of the world?  Don't tell me one is for ship navigation and the other is the aircraft control I know that Azn

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus Yes, indeed.. there are two islands, one for "Navigational/operational use"  and the other for Airside use... However.  ALL navy ships have a secondary "command and control" position, and an "emergency steering position".. there will be provision made that if one of the islands is deemed unusable to damage, and the other is still operational, the "secondary" positions can be use to "fight the ship"...

With a "single" island, the "secondary" or "emergency conning would be probably carried out "below" decks, and, although difficult, would not be impossible... however, "flying operations" would be at a great disadvantage if the single island was destoyed, or seriously damaged.

As for your question... "why are we doing it different to the rest of the world"....  Erm..

We invented the "angled flight deck"... Different to the rest of the world.

We invented the "landing mirrors"  ...  Different to the rest of the world

We invented the "ski jump"..... Different to the rest of the world,

We invented the Steam Catapult for launches.... Different to the rest of the world

We invented the Arrester wires for landing on....... Different to the rest of the world...

We invented the Twin Control Islands..... Different to the rest of the world..

Oh, and Nelson did a few things that were different to the rest of the world, too ! ! !

The Royal Navy, is the best .... ( but not necessarily the largest ) in the world,..

Community Veteran

Sooooo touched a nerve there Ticked off

There was no criticism intended just wanted to know Roll eyes

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

@PeterLoftus No... Indeed not...!... Just thought I would mention a few other " we do it different".. and the world follows ! ! !...

So ... Now you know ! ! ... Wink

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

A very powerful single egg in a basket.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

shutter wrote:

As for your question... "why are we doing it different to the rest of the world"....  Erm..

We invented the "angled flight deck"... Different to the rest of the world.

We invented the "landing mirrors"  ...  Different to the rest of the world

We invented the "ski jump"..... Different to the rest of the world,

We invented the Steam Catapult for launches.... Different to the rest of the world

We invented the Arrester wires for landing on....... Different to the rest of the world...

We invented the Twin Control Islands..... Different to the rest of the world..

Oh, and Nelson did a few things that were different to the rest of the world, too ! ! !

The Royal Navy, is the best .... ( but not necessarily the largest ) in the world,..

Well said!!!

People who question new developments and ideas are not suited to commenting on them because they would hold the world and its development back.

When I was in my teens I had this really crazy idea of RC helicopters... with cameras... that could auto navigate.. and even carry payloads. Amazon anyone?

I was labelled crazy by anyone who ever heard my ideas. My own parent wanted me to have nothing to do with electronics or RC aircraft... To put it bluntly my ideas were ahead of their time and had I been allowed to do it, I would have been at the forefront of drone technology many years ago (and very rich). I'll bet my parent mulls that over every day now. In 2011 i was mulling over giving it another go.. with a different slant - police law enforcement / search & rescue.. but even my own missus decided to start doubting me!!! Whats the point when your own partner has no damn faith?

I also had further ideas... for militarising them amongst many things.. thats happening now too but one of them was mid-air refuelling... thought that was safe.. but oh yes..: thats now in development too.

screenshot_490

Still.. I have other far out ideas.. and still my original RC ideas.. but the RC ones are too late to bother with now and frankly I no longer have enough motivation to bother trying to make a difference to the planet.

Even one of my most crazy ideas which I thought would be safe is now being hit on by the US military - underwater drones / missiles that sit at the bottom and can be launched remotely - an idea I had when getting into Estes model rockets at the age of 17 - now the USA are developing it:

screenshot_491

Heck.. the drones from missile tubes idea is now screwed too because the yanks are onto it:

screenshot_489

Any hopes I had were destroyed by a parent who wanted to stiff me of money and hope, fellow students / lecturers who thought I was crazy and anyone else who was looking for an easy person to attack.

EIGHTEEN YEARS LATER this stuff is happening. It could of happened a lot bl**dy sooner if doubters and nay sayers had got off my case and let me get things done. Too late now, I have a nipper to look after and a ton of other problems (many of which were created by loss of hope and giving up).

So PLEASE stop flaming doubting new ideas, it's really ****ing annoying to people who have the vision and inspiration to create new and better things. What if the cure for cancer is in someones head.. and they're being blocked by the nay sayers too - because their idea is too radical?

Sorry for stealing your moment shutter.. these doubters just really wind me up having had years of it myself. People seem to forget that this country was once a world leader in creating new advanced stuff.. vulcan bomber, trains, harriers, submarines, tunnels....

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

OMG all I said was why are there two islands Angel

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Are you really sure thats ALL you said?

screenshot_492

Community Veteran

Yes and I haven't had an answer Azn

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Because we're flaming innovators!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Community Veteran

Now, Now !... c`mon you guys.... play nicely... 

Roll eyes

Community Veteran

My guess is that there will be two admirals on board and they want a bridge each Cool smiley

To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra