cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Innocent people's DNA profiles won't be deleted after all, minister admits

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: Innocent people's DNA profiles won't be deleted after all, minister admits

The fundamental question is: "Do we belong to the State or does the State belong to us?"
It seems the Establishment see the entire population as subjects of the Crown  rather than individuals with rights such as privacy. Storing DNA for the convenience of the authorities, particularly the Home Office, is no valid justification for the practice of retaining the DNA of innocent people. If the Government really thinks DNA is important in crime solving perhaps they should not close down the forensics service.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 10

If DNA testing became compulsory there would always be a number of people who refused to supply a sample of their DNA so how would  that be obtained other than physically restraining them ?
Hardly acceptable in a civilised society.
The point made by the previous poster really needs addressing...... "do we belong to the state or does the state belong to us"
Quote from: Mav
Quote from: Matt_2k34
I think it should be done personally, keep it all on record.
Those who object have something to hide.  Shocked

Quite possibly but not necessarily.
I object to my DNA being taken and/or stored - unless I was to commit a serious crime which I believe I would never do.
I consider myself to be an honest, upright, law-abiding person and do not have anything to hide but I still DO NOT wish my DNA to be taken and stored by anyone.

Certainly would not want my DNA taken, I have nothing to hide but as previously stated it would be very easy for a criminal to obtain a sample of your DNA from a cigarette, tissue, or other item and then plant these at the scene of a crime, and at some future date the security services might also be prepared to do this, who knows how the future will pan out.
Why stop at DNA just implant a chip in everybody at birth so we can track their movements from cradle to grave and get immediate feedout if they take illicit drugs.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

@okrzynska
No, because like credit card details - you wouldnt store DNA in a database as data... any idiot would be able to view it.
You'd Take a sample, encrypt it in various methods then store this in the database - then when the police/etc. do a comparison, they run the sample through an encryption algorithm and compare the two. Bingo...
Similar to this, but with DNA not Biometrics - and ofcourse, increased security.

Thats all well and good but as I said earlier, do you trust any UK government with 100%? - especially with data. Remember they have done stupid things like sending CDs full of peoples data through the postal service (where they're consequently 'lost'). You can't trust the UK government or any of its departments to do anything properly.
Whilst your suggestion to you and me seems logical, you try telling that to some stuck up office manager who doesn't understand it and gets frightened of the words 'encryption', 'one way' and the like. Or the thought of the extra expense makes them decide against it. Besides, apart from that whats to stop the data being intercepted and recording before its encrypted? - Funny things happen in political circles and you should never forget that.
Who would have ever thought that by running a few newspapers you could run the country? Rupert Murdoch did.. and who would have thought that a young teenage girl could be his undoing causing his political chums to turn on him?
As I say, funny things happen in political circles.
I'm not totally against DNA records being kept but I do wonder just why the government is so determined to keep as many as possible, even from innocent people. Why the u-turn? There must be a reason for it.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

[quote=Benjamin Franklin, Feb 17th 1775]
They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety.

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: AlaricAdair
The fundamental question is: "Do we belong to the State or does the State belong to us?"

You belong to the State, I here you say why do I belong to the State?  here is why:
01) You were signed over at berth wen your parents signed your birth certificate.
02) The Government and all its constituencies are registered as companies at companies house.
03) The United Kingdom is registered as a companie at companies house.
All that said you do have rights, but at the end of the day you belong to the State.
As some of you are fond of saying "Get over it!"
Oddly, i quite like the idea of a police state

Your living in one!
pierre_pierre
Grafter

from Itsme link BaryZ link is typical hype, her case had nothing to do with DNA