Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Innocent people's DNA profiles won't be deleted after all, minister admits

Hi All
Just seen this:
[quote="The Telegraph"]
Innocent people's DNA profiles won't be deleted after all, minister admits
The DNA of more than one million innocent people will not be wiped from police records, The Daily Telegraph can disclose.
The DNA profiles of everyone arrested for a recordable offence are retained by the police
Instead the police will retain DNA profiles in anonymised form, leaving open the possibility of connecting them up with people's names, ministers have admitted.
The admission appears to break a Coalition commitment to delete all innocent profiles, apart from those accused of violent or sex crimes, from police databases.
Civil liberties groups accused the Government of a “disgraceful U-turn” and a “breach of promise” to destroy innocent people’s DNA.
It is the latest in a list of about-turns by the Government on key pledges, such as the selling off tracts of forest, axing free school milk for some children and capping welfare handouts for all claimants at £26,000 a year.
Currently, in England and Wales, the DNA profiles of everyone arrested for a recordable offence are retained by the police, regardless of whether they were charged or convicted.
This has meant that the police’s national DNA database holds more than five million profiles, including one million people with no criminal conviction.
Experts say storing the DNA of innocent people gave them an unfair “presumption of guilt” in the eyes of the police.
The Coalition agreement last May said the Government would “adopt the protections of the Scottish model for the DNA database”.
DNA samples from innocent people would be deleted, apart from those accused of a sexual or violent offences, which would be held for five years.
However, Home Office minister James Brokenshire admitted to MPs on a committee which is considering the legislation that police forces will retain innocent profiles.
Read More Here

Related news articles:

Debating ethics of DNA database - BBC 9th January 2008
Millions of profiles from DNA database passed to private firms - The Tlegraph 25th Jul 2008
European Court judgment on DNA retention - Law Gazette 8th January 2009
20 REPLIES
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Innocent people's DNA profiles won't be deleted after all, minister admits

If everyones DNA was taken at birth would this not help reduce crime ?
And immediately everyone up to the age of say 18 ?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

To your Question "If everyones DNA was taken at birth would this not help reduce crime ?" Short answer No
matt_2k34
Grafter

I think it should be done personally, keep it all on record.
Those who object have something to hide.  Shocked
I dont think any data like this should be purged, and tbh id quite like an independant body to be set up between countries EU/NATO etc, where the data can be shared - how often have you seen in the news that XYZ has been released from prison in ABC and we had no record so he got let off with a misdemeanor - for example...
Oddly, i quite like the idea of a police state - being able to walk down the street without having ot clutch my wallet walking past alleys ... sounds awesome  Wink
Regards
itsme
Grafter

I hope that you are already bald. If not a when you start to lose your hair you will be leaving your DNA all over the place for others to pick up and leave at a crime scene and if the police are lazy in their investigation you could be inside for a long time.  Grin Wink
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Quote from: PlusComUK
If everyones DNA was taken at birth would this not help reduce crime ?

I personally think this would be the single biggest crime deterrent ever however for those of us already alive our rights should be grandfathered and those innocently recorded.. well i have mixed views on it. If you're recorded you're less likely to do something stupid and get into trouble.
Of course the big risk here is (and this is in response to Matt2k) that the dna could be used for non law enforcement purposes. The police have been exposed by the phone hacking scandal recently, they've also been found to be selling car crash details to injury lawyers, and lets face it any british government is about as trustable as a banker.
What on earth would happen if all those DNA samples/sequences were to fall into the wrong hands? - Someone (from the past but in the future) like Hitler or Sadam Hussein? - both of which had a particular admiration of chemical weapons. There is no way of knowing how the government will use these samples once collected. While I do agree that most people who object may have suspicious reasons, there are other things that you must also think about here. Seriously, how many of you really trust any UK government 100%?
And for those of you who wish to laugh at me reply, just remember we've had politicians jailed for selling arms to Iraq..
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Fixes: 123

Quote from: Matt_2k34
I think it should be done personally, keep it all on record.
Those who object have something to hide.  Shocked

Quite possibly but not necessarily.
I object to my DNA being taken and/or stored - unless I was to commit a serious crime which I believe I would never do.
I consider myself to be an honest, upright, law-abiding person and do not have anything to hide but I still DO NOT wish my DNA to be taken and stored by anyone.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

matt_2k34
Grafter

I consider myself to be an honest, upright, law-abiding person and do not have anything to hide but I still DO NOT wish my DNA to be taken and stored by anyone.

Because....  Huh
If your not gonna do anything wrong, you have nothing to hide and nothing to be concerned about.
@okrzynska
No, because like credit card details - you wouldnt store DNA in a database as data... any idiot would be able to view it.
You'd Take a sample, encrypt it in various methods then store this in the database - then when the police/etc. do a comparison, they run the sample through an encryption algorithm and compare the two. Bingo...
Similar to this, but with DNA not Biometrics - and ofcourse, increased security.
Regards
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Think of several cases recently where DNA was used to identify bodies, if they have no reference to other DNA, how do they match them up.
Personal experience, lost a nephew in the New Zealand earthquake, and approx 50% of the bodies had to be DNA identified
So Gary get a life what are you trying to hide
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

If you believe NCIS, in the USA every serving military personnel and most government officials have their DNA taken for identification.
Don't know if that applies here in the UK.
Community Veteran

Nothing to hide.
Sure.  I totally believe it would ONLY be used for the purposes of crime detection  Roll eyes
B.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

and if you believe that, A lawyer dismised on false pretentions
and didnt claim unfair dismissal
Community Veteran

We can trust our police to follow the rules and never abuse their position of power.  Grin
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: pierre_pierre
and if you believe that, A lawyer dismised on false pretentions
and didnt claim unfair dismissal

For the full story http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/uknews/crime/6563877/City-lawyer-fired-after-police-kept-record-of-h...
P-P Do you understand how the criminal searches work, which have 3 levels, the 1st level is just to check that you have a record but disregard spent convictions  and the search can be requested by an individual. The other 2 levels of search can only be requested by certain bodies with the 3rd level returning any reported or suspicion of crime.
Edit: The above case has nothing to do with DNA in my opinion the outcome would still be the same even if fingerprints and DNA were not taken.
Fixes: 47

So much personal data is collected about an individual from birth so what's the problem with an extra piece.
No-one points to me accusingly because my details are on a Register Office database because it's normal and no-one thinks anything of it.
If everyone's DNA was taken and stored at birth it would be thought of in the same way and I have no problem with that.
Barry's link cites the case of a person who's name appeared on the DNA database and which therefore raised suspicions as to her integrity. If it was standard practice this wouldn't be the case.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation