cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inks for Printers

jmd
Grafter

Inks for Printers

Not sure if this belongs on "General Chit Chat" but Ink is not Hardware so did not seem to fit in Computers forum.............. so anyway
Why is there such a variation in price of replacement inks for printers.  For example, I have a Epson CX3650 and Epson Ink set of 4 would cost me £39.99, at Stationary Box, Rymans replacement Inks would cost £30.00 - and have just bought some from a local company [Imagetek] that  charged me £14.60.  If I had ordered them on line they would have cost £12.20 but did not realise that when I rung them.  I could have had free delivery but needed the black so went and collected.  Friends have used these and found them good.
So as I said why would people paid more than twice what they need to pay?
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Inks for Printers

The only inks which are cheaper are where the printer manufacturer hasn't stitched things up with patent infringement lawsuits. Epsom are one of the few who haven't.
For future reference the Jettec ones are very good and this is one of the cheaper sites http://www.valueshop.co.uk/inkjet_cartridges_epson/Epson_Stylus_CX3650_Cartridges.asp
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

I use http://www.ink2u.co.uk ; Excellent service on line ordering, 24 hr delivery, and if there is a problem, you contact them by phone, send it back and they replace it no problem.... also they give a "discount" on empty cartridges returned to them too.... which makes the price even cheaper....
Now you have your new cartridges,  it is time to order your replacements, so that you will always have one ready !
Wink Wink Smiley
jmd
Grafter

Well, my last lot of ink cartridges have lasted for ages - I changed them before I moved in September.  They were cheap ones too. Smiley
But I just wondered if anyone can why there should be such differences in prices - again those 2 websites charge differently! Huh
Community Veteran

www.rubberfrog.co.uk has deals from time to time.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

I always advise people to be wary of non-genuine inks - you can run in to a manner of problems with them. With your printer there is also the issue that it's a pigment ink printer, yet cheap replacement inks will often be dye-based instead. FWIW, if you are ever tempted to buy proper Epson inks, Oyyy are a good place to look.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I've posted a number of times about high street "ink refill shops" but nobody has ever replied (certainly got a lot of ink related replies but not about shops) since this post has got more interest I'll try again here. Has anyone out there ever tried them? and are they any good/economic etc? there are plenty of them around, but I can't recall meeting/talking to anybody who's actually used one...
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Yep I have, wen't to Cartridge World in Middlesbrough for my Brother MFC-5840CN printer, it cost me for the set £39.80p
Community Veteran

The reason for the differences in price, is probably due to the "overheads" that the company selling the products have to pass on the the public... Also, some companies only put in the same amount of ink as the Original Manufacturers, which is considerably less than full capacity of the cartridges. When looking for replacements, it is worth checking the capacity against the price offered, and also whether they include VAT in the price, and also if shipping is free.
As for "ink/cartridge"  shops I reckon that any shop that stays for a year, must be doing something right, or appeals to enough people to pay the business rates, etc, and wages for staff. Shops rely on "repeat" business, not just "one off" sales.
firefly2
Grafter

am not sure that you get quite the volume of ink in the re-fill ones. my grandson has a shop that does both and his re-fill ink is very good. there are some that are iffy tho'. my printers are HP  but one of them takes six cartridges that I can obtain by post cheaper than he can buy them.  i buy hp ones for the pics. the adverts are in the back of the computeractive mag. I like to shop in " recommended good service"  ones. . I think it is a bit of a scam tho' when firms make their printers unable to function with refills. firefly2 Lips are sealed
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

The real reason for the price difference is that the printer is often sold as a loss leader
Just compare - PCWorld prices
HP Deskjet D1460 - Inkjet Printer £18.99
Black plus standard colour cartridge £23.70
As an aside - from the same link usb cable half price £9.99, standard price £19.99 (Tesco price about £1.99) - rip off  Angry
Community Veteran

Quote from: Oldjim
The real reason for the price difference is that the printer is often sold as a loss leader

Indeed - you see this with higher-end printers too. For example, an Epson R1800 used to have an RRP of something like £350, and cartridge RRPs of £12 each... the R2400 on the other hand had an RRP of about £550 with carts at £10 each. (Both have the same capacity). The £2 difference might not sound like much, but a full set of inks comprises of nine cartridges - and the 20-odd sets of cartridges required to make up the price difference wouldn't be much at all for the printer's lifetime if used in, say, a small studio that didn't want a large format printer.
Fixes: 105

Isn't it the case that some inks also come with a print head in the cartridge rather than the printer, making them more expensive.
With Epson the heads are in the printer not the cartridge which is why the inks are cheaper and the printers dearer, but then once the heads get blocked the are a pita to clean and get working again I've found.
Whereas Lexmark the heads are in the cartridge.
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran

rubberfrog have offers at the moment:
http://www.rubberfrog.com/gv_redeem.php?ref=777&gv_no=rubber_clear
SW.
--
3Mb FTTC
https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
Community Veteran

Have just checked out the "rubber frog" link, for my reman HP343  cartridges.... price £13.48
Checked out my "normal supplier"  Ink2U.co.uk  and a reman  HP344  (High yield) 18ml (as opposed to 14 ml) £10.95  
Edit..... prices include vat and delivery
Rubber frog may be doing deals , but only on "certain" items..... still worth checking other suppliers....
This is a "copy and paste" from the "ink2u" site.

*e.g. An original hp C9351A (HP21) inkjet cartridge is filled with 5ml of ink.
A remanufactured Ink2U C9351A (HP21) inkjet cartridge is filled to full capacity (20ml) of ink.

Which bears out my information earlier on in this thread.! !