Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inkjet cartridge expiry?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Inkjet cartridge expiry?

Howdy Gang!

Few years ago - 2013 - the missus bought me a HP printer for my birthday. I explicitly asked her not to buy me one as she'd get the wrong one that i'd seen and wanted in a very distant branch of Tesco and it would lead to disappointment. So my missus being my missus and knowing better, well, she went and bought me a printer which was an hp 4620. Yes it was the wrong one but despite my request not to buy one i pretended she'd done herself proud (she was doing a uni course and it was more important to support that).

It wasn't much use as a scanner or printer. The ink cartridges ran out within something daft like a couple of weeks and the scanning was a bit flawed too. Anyway HP decided to try and keep me sweet they'd send me some XL cartridges for it for free. Before I ever bothered putting them into it, the missus got upset with it herself and demanded it go back to Tesco because it wouldn't scan / copy her uni work for her and she couldn't put up with it. So back to Tesco it went who insisted they weren't having it back but soon fell on their sword when they had to deal with their nightmare customer - me.

Anyway as the cartridges came from HP and not Tesco I didn't take those back with it because it was down to HP to ask for them back when they got their printer back. Some years later they still haven't.

Having sold a few things on ebay this week and made a nice little profit and realising that actually I can sell stuff instead of being a total failure, i thought i'd whack these on too. Only thing i'm wondering is will they be ok after so long?

There is a 2015 date on them (under a label) however the hp site says only certain cartridges expire - and these are not listed: http://www.hp.com/pageyield/en-150/articles/inkExpiration.html

But that 2015 date isn't a "made in" year because they were sent to me in 2013!

Thoughts?

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Inkjet cartridge expiry?

Peeling the label off it states "warranty ends" next to the date.

Community Veteran

I have an old HP printer and I usually get my well out of date cartridges off freecycle.

So far I've only ever had a problem with one and that wasn't a genuine HP.

Lots of out of date carts on ebay. Sellers usually have a picture showing the date and also mention it.

They all seem to sell ok still.

I just went and looked at the date on my next cartridge - 2009

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Some cartridges last for years if they're kept sealed, some dry out & clog up even when sealed, it's one of them hit or miss things, just remember to state when selling that it's expired (even if it doesn't have an expiry date, it's still "old") and sold as-is with no warranty...

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I refill and reset my Canon inkjet cartridges which can be refilled about 8 - 10 times before packing up but as I do not print many photographs these days those cartridges must be 4 or 5 years old, possibly more so as others have mentioned the only thing likely to go wrong is if the ink dries up. If they are well sealed this is unlikely.

Providing you mention on the advert the sell by date along with returns not accepted you should be ok.

Not sure how you get your payment but if it's via Paypal by the time ebay and Paypal have took their fees you will not be dining out on the proceeds of your sale.

Smiley

Community Veteran

gleneagles wrote:

you will not be dining out on the proceeds of your sale.

Mate you need to get out more... McDonalds ain't as expensive as you think it is!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

That depends on whether you actually want to eat actual food or the Mcdonald's offerings... Tongue