Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ink Cartridge Failure

billnotben
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Ink Cartridge Failure

So there I am printing out a few postage labels when the print output goes half right half crazy then up pops a message ink cartridge failure. Don't you just hate that when that happens.

Never had that before on this HP printer. I'm told cartridges are good for a few refills and as I've refilled this one more than a few dozen times I guess that's why.

Funny how you get used to things though like looking on eBay for a replacement, realising I need it now, and then finding one in a local store at a cheaper price. That was a bit of an eye opener. I guess with rising postage costs and fees, online is no longer the automatic cheaper choice.

26 REPLIES 26
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 52

Re: Ink Cartridge Failure

Try removing the cartridge, and giving the electrical contact area a good rub on a double thick sheet of kitchen roll... 

if you can get to the contacts in the machine.... try to give them a clean off with a soft cloth.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Well the certainly don't last as long as they used to that's for sure, and put anything other than a brand new one in my Canon Pixma and it throws a real wobbly. Given up buying colour, stick to black and white, and not big on printing stuff out anyway. It gets used more for scanning and the occasional copying if anything.

Horses for courses.  

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 6

@billnotben 

Many years ago I used to refill my HP cartridges, both the tri-colour and the black ones.  The first few times the ink I was using was quite good but then that source dried up (no pun intended) and after trying another type which wasn't much good I gave up completely with the colour ones.

I tried a couple of different black inks after that and none were as good as the one I'd previously used, and occasionally I'd get drips or blobs of black appearing.  Finally one day wisps of smoke appeared from the printer and it refused to print.  I had a look inside and couldn't see any burning but assumed it was dead, and as I needed to do some printing fairly urgently I bought a cheapo from Argos - can't remember whether it was Canon or Epson.

After setting it up I started a print job and went downstairs for some lunch or something.  Whilst downstairs I could hear the noise the printer was making - it sounded more like a coffee grinder or food mixer - nothing like my nice quiet HP!

Not long after that I had another look at the HP and discovered the 'smoke' I'd seen had come from burning (probably more like vapourisation) of the ink at the black cartridge caused by deterioration of the copper which forms the jets and conductive tracks at the print-head which, for those not familiar with them, is an integral part of HP cartridges.  This lead me to conclude that the litre bottle of black ink I'd been using was most likely acidic and had 'eaten' the copper, and possibly formed some sort of conductive gunge to short-circuit the tracks.

Luckily there was no damage to the printer as once I'd installed a brand-new black cartridge it printed perfectly.

Moral of the story is, IME, the refilling of ink cartridges can cause problems in time.

The Canon/Epson was swiftly sold as there was no way I could put up with the racket it made.

Edit:  changed some references to 'b&w' cartridge to black!  Embarrassed

idonno
Champion

@billnotben You certainly do need to shop around. Sometimes its cheaper to buy a new printer. With ink jets I've had varying success when it comes to refills. Some makes are fine, some protest etc. 

But I'm sort of in that ball park at the moment with the colour laser. It prints OK in black and white but if I need colour I get red dots in certain areas of the page. Damn annoying. I've had it apart to clean it but with much the same result. Daft thing is the part to cure it costs £230. For £30 more I can buy a whole new printer! One bright bit the dots have moved from the left of the page to the right recently so maybe they might vanish entirely.

Fortunately, I don't do much printing now except for when the wife wants new price lists done and what does she want on it?  ..... A splash of colour! 

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
billnotben
Community Veteran

Yes I did all the usual contact cleaning on the printer as well as the cartridge plus a few other finger crossing tries.

Even though the cartridge was fairly cheap it was still the same price that I bought the entire printer for. There was a lot of ridiculous offers a few years back. I think I picked it up from a mini local Tesco shop. At the time I did think shall I buy two? Worth it just to get an extra pair of cartridges.

It did make me think with rising postage charges and fees maybe in ten years time we'll look back at online shopping as a passing phase. And it's not exactly "green" is it.

This time I avoided trying some cheapo "remanufactured" cartridge. The last one turned out a bit of false economy as refilling it was a bust. It just failed to print. Even doing the cleaning fluid trick failed to get more than a few lines of print before conking out again.

shutter
Community Veteran

RobPN
Hero

@billnotben 

Apologies if you already know about it, but as you've an HP printer you may be interested in the HP Instant Ink scheme whereby you pay a monthly subscription and get replacement cartridges sent to you according to your projected needs.  Monthly costs vary and depend on how many pages you need to print.

I've not used it myself, but ISTM that if you do enough printing it could be worthwhile, saving you all the bother of cartridge refilling etc.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/

HelloDuck
Pro
Fixes: 3

@RobPN wrote:

@billnotben 

Apologies if you already know about it, but as you've an HP printer you may be interested in the HP Instant Ink scheme whereby you pay a monthly subscription and get replacement cartridges sent to you according to your projected needs.  Monthly costs vary and depend on how many pages you need to print.

I've not used it myself, but ISTM that if you do enough printing it could be worthwhile, saving you all the bother of cartridge refilling etc.

https://instantink.hpconnected.com/uk/en/l/

My daughter uses this HP service and finds it very good

HP

billnotben
Community Veteran

Thanks for all the info.

Being super stingy I'm hoping this cartridge and the bottle of refill ink I have will last me a few years.

My last ink refills were from a charity shop 50p basket.

I did see a couple of new sealed cartridges in one local charity shop. I had to look twice as they were 301's. Close but no cigar.

RobPN
Hero

@HelloDuck wrote:

My daughter uses this HP service and finds it very good

HP

(My bold)

Have you been at the sauce @HelloDuck ? (HP Wink of course!) 

You usually sign off with 'HD' !  Cheesy

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

There really ought to be a standard size/shape/design for ink cartridges; even if you buy a printer of the same brand as the one you already have, you can't usually use the ink cartridges from the old one, or even new unused ones you'd bought for the old one. 

I've mentioned it on this forum before but my Epson printer cost £29.99 at Argos.  When it started demanding new ink cartridges, I discovered that it would have been cheaper to buy a new printer if they were still available.  When I ordered Epson branded cartridges from a company based in Hemel Hempstead, they arrived from Germany but the cartridges had "Made in the UK" on them.

My printer is mainly plastic so to dispose of it rather than replacing the ink cartridges isn't exactly green.  However, when you order original ink cartridges, they are made in the UK, then shipped to Germany before being posted back to the UK, which isn't green either.  You really couldn't make it up.

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

@shutter wrote:

Two on line suppliers I have been using over the past 5 years or more.... 

Prink     https://www.prink.co.uk/    

StinkyInk      https://www.stinkyinkshop.co.uk/ 

For years I refilled my own original Canon cartridges, usually worked for between 8 - 10 refills, then error messages.

These days I cannot be bothered with refilling and use the links mentioned above, for the amount I print these days one cartridge can last me 6 months.

Slightly different topic but still on printing…..what about paper for colour prints, is there much difference between brands?

And Cannon paper, is it a set price or does the price vary depending on supplier.

We are born into history and history is born into us.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Thanks @gleneagles 

Due for another change of cartridge ( I use them despite the printer telling me it's empty when it's not) and I don't have mu normal spare.

👍 

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
Thomas A. Edison
shutter
Community Veteran

@gleneagles wrote:

Slightly different topic but still on printing…..what about paper for colour prints, is there much difference between brands?

And Cannon paper, is it a set price or does the price vary depending on supplier.

Depends on whether you are printing Photo quality or just colours on a "normal" document type paper.

Obviously. printer paper quality will vary .... Paper is sold on a "weight" measurement known as GSM.. for more info, perhaps you could google  "Printer paper quality GSM"

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=printer+paper+quality+gsm&source=hp&ei=kifKYPajCMWV8gKYw7G4Cg&ifls...