cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Infront of me at the filling station

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Infront of me at the filling station

Was a light aircraft, the pilot suggested I didn't pump fuel until he'd taken off, his take off was over in about a second, rev'd the engine seemed he was airborne.
Anyone know what kind of plane?
7 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Infront of me at the filling station

Autogiro?
nadger
Rising Star

Nothing like an autogiro  Smiley
I recall, as a lad, seeing them http://www.ventnorradar.co.uk/Cievra.htm
Community Veteran

Looking more closely at the photo, and the fact that there are 2 planes in view that look to be "out of scale" I'd say remote controlled scale models.
Possibly as big as 1/18th scale?
x47c
Grafter

I was trying to read the language on sides of the fuel pump, to see where in the world this was taken.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

@x74c:- Iceland, place called Hrauneyjar
@HP:- must admit they do look like remote controlled models, the 'out-of-scale' could have been me cropping the image, but they were both manned, one had a pilot only, the second had pilot + pax (one behind the other), another image below.
They were being used on the film set of 'Oblivion'
Community Veteran

Well it's not a Pitt Special as they're biplanes, but something equally powerful/aerobatic?
x47c
Grafter

Good STOL performance, tail dragger, high wing, low speed of flying,high manoeverable, seating one behind the other
Piper Cub is one possibility that fits the billing and looks right.
They may well be other candidates.......
Its not a Maule or Cessna bird dog - rudder shape wrong in both cases - these two are more rounded than square as in the image.
It won't be a Fiestler Storch - best STOL aircraft ever from the days of WWII - German made:could and did land in a street The Shuttleworth museum has one.
The pilot may have been worried about static electric igniting petrol fumes when he asked you not to fill up until he was well out of the way.
you are supposed  to bond the aircraft and fuel bowser/pump with an earthing/bonding lead to minimise this possibility.
The passage of fuel into the a/c also generates static as well as the a/craft generating it through the air.