cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information held by IPS

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Information held by IPS

In addition to the expected information IPS hold on customers such as Name & Address, direct debit details and amount of usage exactly what else do they keep ? and for how long do they keep it and most important of all why do they keep it ?
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Re: Information held by IPS

who or what is the IPS as Google doesn't help
pwatson
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

I'm guessing that IPS should be replaced with ISP?
Interesting article about the Data Retention Directive here.  Note that the EU has just rejected this however.
More info
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool If IPS is an APP they'll record your GPS and read your SIM.
Community Veteran

Apologies, it should have read ISP, perhaps I need a new keyboard or glasses. Smiley
nanotm
Pro

well there was a period a few years ago when all this came up and it was announced that all "header info" would be recorded and stored for a period of not less than 5 years  under plans announced as part of the prevention of terrorism act .......that fell flat on its face purely down to collection and storage (the collection side of it is what gave rise to DPI) when it was realised that it wasn't possible to collect and store the several terrabytes of data per day proposed never mind storing it for 5+ years......
that lead to the ad-hoc collection as required under the secret warrant scheme and or as per court order on a per customer basis, although apparently browser history logs are available for up to a maximum of 30 days (list of sites visited)
as to what each company individually chooses to store and how they use that information is actually down to them, so long as it complies with the DPA, some actively seek out household composition data and even go so far as to cross reference clients with various other registers (here in the UK most ISP's will for example have an up to date Credit Reference Agency dump on all customers who recently contracted/re-contracted with them as a bare minimum)
a certain ISP also attempted to circumvent the DPA by holding all its data storage offshore and then flogging the info to "responsible third parties", another tracks internet usage and uses that to provide targeted advertising, as far as privacy goes, if you don't want it tracked don't do it is the only infallible way to enforce your individual rights as every single service provider (regardless of what service they provide) will have a file on their customers to a greater or lesser degree of depth......
all of which makes the constant CCTV monitoring by law enforcement agencies and there partner companies seem pretty tame by comparison ......
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Especially when GCHQ duplicate much of the data collection activity.

nanotm
Pro

if the guardian are to be believed then all of that is also duplicated by the NSA which must mean they have built a space station in deep space about the size of a small planet in order to house all that storage, which reminds me apparently there's a new planet "x" on the edge of our solar system .....
Community Veteran

Some interesting stuff in the links provided by pwatson.
I think the Data Protection Act also includes things like the information held should be made available to the person it pertains to on request and that any such data should be accurate and held for a certain period of time.
When you consider the problems that have arisen from some organizations that have acted on information that is incorrect it makes me wonder if there is not a case for all firms to send you a copy of information they hold on you every few years just to ensure it is accurate.
nanotm
Pro

indeed that's true but since *most* companies charge you an admin fee between £10 and £50 to get that information (some combine the p&p some charge extra for that as well)
then theres the problem of increased scammer potentials (we already have a rather large and growing ID theft industry)
and thirdly the average member of the public would find out just how many companies hold files on them, I mean I'm far from paranoid about such things but I have 4 store loyalty cards, some 50- 100 online website membership accounts (mostly shopping based), a couple of payment cards, half a dozen service provider accounts (insurance phone internet water gas etc ) not to mention the various companies i've visited in person or phoned up for a delivery order......if every one of them sent me there files I'd probably get a few hundred "are we up to date" packs (because I totally ignored all the state subsidies stuff or the reference agencies, or the various financial institutes etc etc) and unlike some people I'm not particularly care free in where I put my details or who I order from......
never mind the forums or games company websites I visit regularly or my dedicated direct service providers (like DPD, RM, herpies etc) even though I don't often have cause to contract them directly....
actually just thinking about it theres probably a database entry in my name at my address in more than 20 UK based servers for companies whom I have never directly ordered or otherwise contacted about anything, yet they still require that data just to ensure other companies who do are able to without undue hassles .....
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

And most of the information will have leaked outside the EU, so you don't even have the so-called "safe harbour" rights.
I found this on http://export.gov/safeharbor/
While the United States and the EU share the goal of enhancing privacy protection for their citizens, the United States takes a different approach to privacy from that taken by the EU.  Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Which is one way of describing the NSA's activities, I suppose.

nanotm
Pro

https://new.export.gov/safe-harbor
you got the link wrong ....
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro

Not so! Cheesy
Both https://new.export.gov/safe-harbor and http://export.gov/safeharbor/
display the same platitudes - virtually identically.

nanotm
Pro

hmm I just got a 404 error on the first one, must be browser issue I guess
TORPC
Grafter

They both work in Firefox 28.0