cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Information Gathering

Community Veteran

Information Gathering

We've had a number of threads recently about the harvesting of emails and other data by the National Security Agency in the US.  There is an interesting article in this morning's Washington Post about this dealing with overseas emails.
Information Gathering

13 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 4

Re: Information Gathering

This the BBC's version of the story -
Snowden leak alleges NSA snooping on web contact lists
Community Veteran

I think it is basically the same info and the BBC does quote the Washington Post.
Thunderclap
Grafter

"During a single day last year, the NSA collected 444,743 email address books from Yahoo, 105,068 from Hotmail, 82,857 from Facebook and 33,697 from Gmail, according to the alleged internal NSA Powerpoint presentation."
Powerpoint? Is the NSA is using Windows?
Thinking about this, the amount of open-source personal information in an email is significant. Think of your last online order confirmation which included your name, address and customer number, etc. Details easily packet captured on any network in the chain - so it would be very hard for secrettrollboy1993 to hide on the grid when he's ordering his socks from Amazon. The NSA also assumes the bad guys live their bad guy lives online. It would screw the billion dollar budgets of the NSA and GCHQ if the terrorsits started using letters.
Of course there are many other persons-of-interest outside of the usual bad guy suspects. These may include terrorist politicians, terrorist journalists, terrorist activitists, terrorist celebrities, terrorist law abiding tax paying citizens....
Cool I always feel like, somebodies watching me... can't get no privacy
Community Veteran

Quote from: Thunderclap
terrorist law abiding tax paying citizens....

You only have yourself to blame if you threaten national security by paying your council tax on time.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

Needless to say i am as I type downloading all of my yahoo mail and transferring it to a mysql database. I am building my own webmail application so this was always planned anyway however this has just convinced me that I am doing the right thing.
Thanks for posting artmo.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

This video interview with Julian Assange has an interesting discussion on how the US can blackmail almost every influential person in Latin America, and how several regions in the world now want to establish an independent internet network for their citizens, so that the USA can't monitor all their private communications.
Lips are sealed
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: purleigh
This video interview with Julian Assange...

And with hard drives full of Wikileaks, maybe it's a case of how Julian Assange can blackmail almost every influential person in Latin America? Not that he's interested in Latin America...
Cool Electricty is power
Community Veteran

lol
It makes you wonder doesn't it.. what do they actually want with all of this information? - They clearly have some sort of interest and I don't really think terrorism is a genuine motive tbh. Any real terrorists online will be using encryption etc so why do they want to monitor the daily doings of the average public? Very strange.
With that said, I'm still downloading my 20k emails from yahoo folder by folder:

Totals so far:
Community Veteran

If you remember last year the bombing in Boston was partially solved by scutinising emails.
Community Veteran

Yes.. and thats a good thing but raises more questions.
Why do they want this data if it won't prevent a terrorist act (solving it doesn't save lives - it may stop lives being lost in the future but won't save those that just lost theirs).
If they claim it's to stop terrorism why didn't they stop the boston bombing?
Seems to me that the governments around the world just want the right to poke their noses into anyones affairs as and when they choose.
Community Veteran

Quote from: artmo
If you remember last year the bombing in Boston was partially solved by scutinising emails.

I thought that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev is denying all charges and has yet to be found guilty - so hardly "solved" !
Community Veteran

The evidence against him looks clear cut. 
Community Veteran

I wonder if he'll also be in the dock with shutter - if he does then he must be guilty lol