cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inflated opinion

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Inflated opinion

Fed up with scrambling round filling stations trying to find and often having to pay to check and perhaps inflate the car tyres, the Mrs has suggested we buy one of those 12v air pumps instead.

Never used one and no idea if they are any good or of any value, so has anybody got an opinion on 'em as I'd hate to waste twenty or thirty quid or whatever on something that might be totally useless.

Two types 'out there' - mains and/or 12v plug in. 

71lz+XbCkHL._AC_UL320_.jpg

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
32 REPLIES 32
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Inflated opinion

Hi  Minivanman

I had one which plugged into the cigarette lighter after my old foot pump which I had had gave up the ghost but found it very very slow

Went back to a dual foot pump picked it up from the local Machine Mart

https://www.machinemart.co.uk/p/fp200-twin-barrel-foot-pump/?da=1&TC=GS-000310200&gclid=Cj0KCQiAk53-...

HD

Community Veteran
Fixes: 44

Once upon a time... I had a Renault 12.. which had inner tubes in the tyres... often had punctures.. and kept a puncture repair kit plus the tyre levers in the boot.. along with an already repaired spare tube... having to use a foot pump once... trying to get the bead to reseat, was a nightmare... so I bought a 12volt plug in tyre inflator from halfords for about £6  and it worked fine... actually it was also used to pump up a tourist coach front tyre which had stopped outside my motor accessory shop in Preston a few years later... and they is really big tyres !..

so now I always carry my trusty tyre pump... and it is excellent to check the tyres at home once a month or so.  ( also got a couple of different pressure guages, for a quick check) . Remember... under or over inflated tyre pressures. and uneven tyre pressures can cost you money... firstly in tyre wear.. secondly in MPG. and thirdly, if you have an accident, and the tyre pressures were wrong, the insurance company can void the policy, saying that you neglected to make sure the car was properly maintained and roadworthy...

so.. YEP  definitely.. keep one in the boot.. and use it often..   (also saves you having to pay for "free" air as it used to be ! ! )

This is a "modern" updated version of the one I bought.... same thing, different casing ( more modernish) .. !

https://www.amazon.co.uk/260psi-Compressor-Built-Flashing-Hazard/dp/B001HCSDR2

compressor.jpg

Aspiring Legend

Looks interesting @shutter 

Like the idea of that flashing light! 

Not a bad price either.

@HelloDuck 

I have one of those and never found them much good besides which, hard work on my now old legs!

Hero
Fixes: 5

@Minivanman 

I've never owned or used one of those (so I've no recommendations of any particular device), but I've heard friends mention them.

You can get combined tyre inflator / jump starters which means only carrying/stowing one item such as this one (which when I clicked on it offered "40% off your first purchase" via a pop-up coupon code).

About 3 months ago a friend who'd just had his alloy wheels refurbished was having problems using his portable inflator to check his tyre pressures due to the very short length of valve stem left exposed (slightly more than needed to put a dustcap on) for neatness by the refurbishing company, and his attempts had led to him releasing air.

I've got an airline PCL (garage type) inflator which is connected to a compressor so I told him to bring his vehicle round to my place to try that, but that still wasn't successful until I screwed a valve extender (like a sort of dust cap with an opening on the end of it) borrowed from another car.

I started inflating his tyres and he told me "No need to do that one as I've checked it and it's correct." but I did it anyway.

He wanted 29PSI 39PSI in all wheels tyres and the one which he'd said was OK was only registering 35PSI on the certified accurately calibrated PCL inflator (which is less than a year old).

The moral of that little tale being that although they may be handy for inflation, don't rely on the accuracy of the pressure gauge, and maybe use a secondary tester such as this to verify.  Smiley

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

I have one similar to the one @shutter refers. It works fine to just top up pressures by a few psi but can't deliver much volume, so wouldn't easily inflate a completely deflated tyre. Mine has been modified because one of the switch contacts failed, it had to be the inflator pump contact rather than the light contact didn't it! So after the wiring mod, mine will inflate but the light doesnt work😄

I'd agree with @RobPN s comments, the gauge isnt accurate. I have a manual one like the one linked to check pressures.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

Also use one plus an additional gauge for checking the pressure, works off the cigarette socket.

usually check my tyres every couple of months, usually it’s the same tyre that requires a couple of lbs to get it to the correct pressure.

Not sure how much these garages/petrol stations charge for use of their pumps but more convenient to do it at home.

No idea if it is false information or not but once read that some of these devices that can be used to do a instant puncture repair by injecting a sealant into the tyre can end up meaning the tyre has to be replaced

Community Veteran

@MisterW I have, actually, used mine to inflate a replacement tyre on a rim... .. the main problem was getting the initial seal around the bead to the rim... but with my exerience of tyre fitting in a Motor Accessory shop, I knew that having a clean rim surface and a well lubricated ( washing up liquid) tyre bead, and bouncing the tyre whilst pumping up with the little compressor soon had a reasonable seal, .. Yeah.. it took a bit of time, because as you said, it delivers a "small" volume.. ( what do you expect with a tiny pump ! ! ) but it did the job...  Always checked the pressures with a secondary tester after inflation, to make sure...

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 162

Not sure how much these garages/petrol stations charge for use of their pumps but more convenient to do it at home.

When I looked the other day, the local Shell station wanted £1 for 7 mins!

Community Veteran

Yikes!   .. that certainly is "inflation"... ! .... makes it worthwhile spending out the cash, if only for the convenience of doing them at home.

Aspiring Legend

@RobPN 

Like the idea of that secondary tester as I never thought if although I did have one years ago which I'd forgotten all about. I had always wondered just how accurate those both those home and garage tyre inflators were though. 

Slightly off topic but on checking the reviews of a particular inflator that seemed to be quite popular, one reviewer said that they were offering a £10 cash back if they gave it five stars!

Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 4

I bought Ring RAC601 several years back for same reasons as yourself. Excellent product used on our two cars, neighbour's daughter's car (she has me round her little finger and knows it), kids' dinghy, and wheelbarrow. Still on Amazon for £24.25

Hero
Fixes: 30

I've used this Michelin cig lighter type for around 10 years, and would happily pay the current Argos £30 price to replace if necessary.

The older I get, the earlier it gets late.

ADSL2+   Billion 8800NL
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

I got fed up using a foot pump every time I checked my tyre pressures. Especially on soft ground.

I now use an electric one I bought in a charity shop for 50p. It's worked fine for years. Has Halfords on its plastic case but I won't hold that against it.

Hero
Fixes: 5

I haven't visited Halfords for quite a while but I had some time to kill a couple of days ago whilst waiting for my car to be MOT'd at another nearby business so spent about 15 minutes wandering around in there.  I was shocked at some of the extortionate prices being asked for things such as windscreen wiper blades etc. compared to online prices for the same brands of items from different companies.  Shocked