cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indicating before pulling out from stationary...

Fixes: 121

Indicating before pulling out from stationary...

SWMBO has mentioned her instructor says that if there are no vehicles in view then there is no requirement to indicate before pulling away from a parked position.
When I was taught in the 80's I was told to always indicate even if you haven't seen another vehicle as you may have missed it in a blind spot.
What to do for the test? My thought is to indicate anyway.
The only time I was told that there was no need to indicate is when there is only one route; like entering a dual carriageway where there is no break in the central reservation to turn right or a sign telling you to turn left/right.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

61 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Indicating before pulling out from stationary...

What about:
a) The vehicles you haven't seen?
b) other road users such as cyclists, pedestrians, horse-riders etc.
Idiotic instructor in my view.  Crazy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

You wouldn't be failed for indicating when it was unnecessary (unless the indications you gave were wrong). You could be failed for failing to indicate.
I suggest there's an obvious conclusion!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)

This is what I tell her but it doesn't bode well that I have to contradict what the instructor has told her on a few points.
Good job I am able to take her out and help her practice Cool
Main reason for asking here is that maybe things have changed for the test. Us experienced drivers wouldn't necessary know about new or changed requirements.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

shalom2010
Grafter

I found the answer!!!
"signal if necessary before moving out"
It's in the Highway Code have a look at https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203
However under Turning Left:
Use your mirrors and give a left-turn signal well before you turn left. Do not overtake just before you turn left and watch out for traffic coming up on your left before you make the turn, especially if driving a large vehicle. Cyclists, motorcyclists and other road users in particular may be hidden from your view.
https://www.gov.uk/using-the-road-159-to-203/road-junctions-170-to-183

That has formed part of SWMBO's and my discussion: what constitutes as necessary?
I have always indicated, and still believe one should, before moving off from a parked position.
Maybe the instructor is interpreting it much more loosely. I prefer to err on the side of caution.

shalom2010
Grafter

Well it has not been defined in the HIghway Code, so is it not up to the driver to make that decision? I would think that one signal's if someone if going to see it - as an example if
you are in the countryside with no one about would you still signal? In a busy area like a city I think it is wise, but not in the middle of nowhere.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

What hardship is it to signal "unnecessarily"? I would have thought it more of an effort to make a decision than to signal instinctively every time before moving off.
Fixes: 101

think of the electrons!
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I was taught to always indicate just in case you don't see someone.
I failed my first test but passed the second.. how I'll never know as I forgot to indicate on a major roundabout (until half way round lol), scraped the kerb a few times and a few other silly mistakes. I think playing loud club music may have had something to do with the examiner never wanting to see me again lol
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran

As a precaution I always tend to indicate.  It certainly doesn't do any harm.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

So,..... whatever happened to the mantra......
Mirror........... Signal...... Manoeuver  
Seems to cover just about any action when driving...
Manoeuver.... (needed to check the spelling of that before posting...  Roll eyes )

noun
   1.   a movement or series of moves requiring skill and care:
   2.  a carefully planned or cunning scheme or action:    
  3.   [mass noun] the fact or process of taking carefully planned or cunning action:

So, pulling away from a parked position is a "carefully planned or cunning action, requiring skill and care"... ipso facto.... Mirror..... Signal.... Take cunning action ! ! !   Cheesy
CX
Grafter

I had an idiot instructor who would tell me stupid things like this (in between smoking during the lesson).
In the end, I just did what my parents taught me, along with common sense, and passed. It's so easy to miss a cyclist; particularly this time of year where they might just be getting their heavy dark coloured jackets on for warmth, and it's not necessarily dark enough for lights.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 3

Quote from: Mav
SWMBO has mentioned her instructor says that if there are no vehicles in view then there is no requirement to indicate before pulling away from a parked position.

I was told the same by my driving instructor , when i was learning about 10 years ago. He was a very good instructor , i passed the theory and test within 8 weeks.
Regards
Mike
Mike