cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian tech support scams, US FTC crackdown...

IanSn
Grafter

Indian tech support scams, US FTC crackdown...

There's been a lot of talk about this on this forum.
Let's see if this makes any difference...
"FTC cracks down on tech support scam run from India."
"At the FTC's request in six cases, a federal district judge froze the US assets of 17 people and 14 companies that have been accused of taking part in the operations. The FTC has also shut down 80 internet domain names and 130 phone numbers used in the US to carry out the scams."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/2012/oct/04/ftc-cracks-down-tech-support-scam?CMP=twt_fd
6 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Re: Indian tech support scams, US FTC crackdown...

Doubt it will make any difference here, the calls I got were all INTERNATIONAL labeled, not UK.
As I said a couple of weeks ago I got a CPR call blocker, works great if one of these calls in it hangs up on them, I get one ring on my extension before it is dropped.
St3
All Star
Fixes: 2

Ive been getting 4 INTERNATIONAL calls every day now for 2 weeks, yesterday i picked one up and there was an american lady on the phone asking if such n such lived here, i had friends round so i placed on her on loud speaker and i pretended to be a little old lady with bad hearing, trying not to laugh after 8 mins on the phone she hung up \0/
But again this morning ive had 2 more calls .... all my missed calls read INTERNATIONAL. Im glad i have caller display otherwise id chuck my phone out the window lol
Win 10
i7 7700k
GTX 970
prichardson
Grafter

I supposed it will assist in some cases.
Bear in mind that many of these companies request you visit a pretty official looking website in order to be able to start remote access sessions as part of the very scam they operate.
Efforts to close these down hamper them and the work to shut them offer will often assist globally. Though it does become that slightly be wasted, when such scan sites can be setup a dime a dozen.
IanSn
Grafter

This isn't a UK operation to crackdown, its the FTC. Calls out of the US would show as international, and so would the call centres in India, of course.
But, yep, it doesn't take too long to set up a new one... though databases, etc., could be a hassle to move.
Having your assets seized could be annoying as well!
But at least they are doing something in the US, unlike here where you can report this stuff till you're blue in the face and nothing happens  Angry
Heloman
Grafter

Slightly OT, but I like this "Indian support" scam:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=RMGggfdl9r4
Smiley
Community Veteran

Quote from: P
I supposed it will assist in some cases.
Bear in mind that many of these companies request you visit a pretty official looking website in order to be able to start remote access sessions as part of the very scam they operate.
Efforts to close these down hamper them and the work to shut them offer will often assist globally. Though it does become that slightly be wasted, when such scan sites can be setup a dime a dozen.

passed on proof prior to post?