cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Indian Steam Railways (Running out of steam)

Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Indian Steam Railways (Running out of steam)

If you love steam railways, and have about 45 minutes to spare. check out this series of videos on youtube...
there are 5 parts, and each one continues the story as it progresses...

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Indian Steam Railways (Running out of steam)

thanks shutter.  it's interesting to see history in action, but i fail to comprehend the nostalgia for this filthy, stinking, noisy, unwieldy mode of transport.  these machines were grindingly hard work to operate - ask jeremy clarkson, he did a bit of stoking once.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

if you had a proper Tele you could have watched it there, one more to come
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

Quote from: artificer
thanks shutter.  it's interesting to see history in action, but i fail to comprehend the nostalgia for this filthy, stinking, noisy, unwieldy mode of transport.

Ahhh.... the yoof (deliberate mispooled)  of today!!!
Watch the "Titfield Thunderbolt" Young person!!!! Steam is ALIVE not dead like electric! Cry
I find the steam railways bring back  (?) times even though all the railways round me were ripped up in the 60's when I was growing up. (Thanks (NOT!!) Dr Beeching!) (sp?)
Lurker
Grafter

I like the romance and nostalgia of steam, but for commuting I can't fault our local electric service - quiet, clean air-conditioned carriages.
Diesel services would be third choice for leisure, and second choice for commuting.
Community Veteran

I always loved the old steam engines.  Missed them when they were taken out of service.