cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incorrect Grammar and Bad Spelling

zedingrove
Grafter

Incorrect Grammar and Bad Spelling

It appears to be the norm for grammatically incorrect sentences/paragraphs in all electronic communication...
In two instances from top blue chip companies, received an email from Barclay's promoting some new isa!
There were three incorrect usage of words and one spelling mistake... Reading Three mobile's terms and conditions
I came across Channel Islands misspelled (Channal) along with Guernsey (Gernsey), then reading on a complete sentence
which made no sense at all. This has all now been rectified since pointing it out to them.
I won't even mention this Forum (oh I just did).
Can I be one of a very few left, which desires better use of the English language!  Crazy 
97 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Incorrect Grammar and Bad Spelling

to quote a well  known larger lager advert..........
probably  Cheesy
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

I agree and this could definitely be better with an occasional pronoun and preposition  Grin
Quote from: zedingrove
Still getting used to this keyboard, three years used a tight fit laptop keyboard, now have one with keys twice the size....
Community Veteran

Um  Roll eyes
zedingrove
Grafter

Is that allowed?
To take a quote from another thread thus confusing readers of this thread.... Crazy
Fixes: 47

for 'confusing readers' read 'enhancing the content' Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

Well, I`m fik, but I clikked on the quote and it brought up yur orig posting, so I wern`t confuesed by it one bit......  Cheesy
and if strat says it`s ok.... then its ok by me too !... (that makes three of  us.... I think...  Roll eyes )
David_W
Rising Star

*avoids pointing out the grammatical error in the original post and goes back to sleep*  Crazy
kmilburn
Grafter

one thing to remember,  watch out for Muphry's Law
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

It must be said, considering that on many most computers MS Word and its spellchecker are just a few mouse clicks away, I never cease to be amazed how many professional websites have errors.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

On my iMac, using Apple OSX, the inbuilt spellchecker highlights every mistake I make, when I type , whether it's Word, TextEdit, a forum entry , or whatever and a right click on the mouse gives me alternatives to auto replace the badly spelt word.
It's not failsafe, and I do check the posted entry, sometimes autocorrect takes over, as I type without looking at the screen, and even proof reading before posting isn't failsafe.
But then, if someone doesn't have the basic spelling and grammar skills, proof reading is a waste of time.
Personally, on all forums, if there are spelling or grammar mistakes, I don't bother reading or replying to any posts. Waste of time IMHO.
This forum is better than most, apart from angry newbies it seems.
(And yes, I've read, re-read, proof read, checked on post etc. hopefully no glaring errors !)
Community Veteran

Quote from: PlusComUK
speling

Rule 1) of proof reading; never trust your own, get or employ somebody else to do it if it matters.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

I think what these good people in this thread are trying to say zedingrove is; have you actually read your earlier posts?
St Paul comes to mind.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Fixes: 47

I think built in spell checkers are making us lazy.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Because I am not as nice as David W
Quote from: zedingrove
Can I be one of a very few left, which who desires better use of the English language!  Crazy