cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Inconsiderate Parking

Lægen
Aspiring Pro

Inconsiderate Parking

Motorists who park on pavements are to be hit with a £70 fine under new rules published by Transport Secretary

The fixed penalty is designed to stop cars and vans blocking the free movement of wheelchairs, parents pushing buggies and  people on mobility scooters. 

To name but a few

Many times not enough room for walking pedestrians to walk past !

About time too. 

Though some street are very narrow round here..... parked on pavements both side of the road, wait & see how motorists cope.

Of course it appears to mostly be motorists who just have to park directly outside their homes !

They could walk not too far to park legally.

Screen Shot 2020-09-01 at 00.14.36.jpg

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/debate/article-8683251/RICHARD-LITTLEJOHN-needs-Extinction-Rebellion-wev...

11 REPLIES 11
Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 12

Re: Inconsiderate Parking

I know a song about parking. Had to give evidence in court about it. Better not say anymore on a public forum. Nerve racking - yes it was. Mentally I think I needed a change of underwear after those fun and games.

Once we won, I actually did my usual. Find the nearest pub and I wasn't exactly drinking diet cokes or light ales, put it that way.

Noticed on Facebook someone was moaning they got a ticket today. So my good old council are not taking too much time to take advantage of it.

I worked in parking as a student job. Nope I wasn't a traffic wardern, or what is the 2020 PC Name for it now? "Civil Enforcement Officer?". We were the engineers, just to collect the cash and deliver it to the treasury. I generally did the paperwork and driving. Checking the machines were working and had tickets in them and collecting the cash. Easy job, but it was obvious what we were doing, and I am glad nobody did anything nasty to me.

We were collecting around £13 grand in a day. Most in coins, but some notes. All the council made us do was wear steel topcapped shoes. Job was a walk in the park, just glad I am still here to tell the tale.

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 186

I know that it's popular to sound off about motorists but for those who live in non urban areas a car is essential. I live in a village that has one bus a day and no taxi service. On the main street there is a parking problem. Yes, residents do park on the pavement but there is an unwritten rule that regardless of which side you live, every-one parks on just one side. Yes, the pavement on one side is congested so those who want to use the full pavement width simply cross over to the other side. There's no yellow lines, no need for £70 fines and insisting that the road width is reduced, making it more difficult for traffic to get through. It just needs common sense and a bit of give and take. But no doubt some young fit car and older person hating cylist (or older person who wants to return to the 1950s) who thinks that free access to both roads and pavements is their birthright will complain sooner or later and insist on both pavements being clear for the occasional pedestrian. I think that there are many cases where there is only property on one side of the road where yes a clear pavement is needed but maybe only one and the other could be taken into the road to make it wider.

On the other hand I have a near relative who lives in what was once a two up, two down Victorian terraced house in London. You know the sort, streets of back to back tiny houses on a narrow street that sell for about half a million quid plus a shot. They are hardly wider than a car and every-one seems to have at least one and many two vehicles despite all the busses and taxi services. One is generally a Chelsea tractor for off roading, that is, mounting the pavement. Here vehicles park on both sides of the road. Even so, I hate visiting and tend to fold my wing mirrors in to drive down between the vehicles parked on the one way streets. If these vehicles were all to park fully on the road then very little could get through, only the narrowest of cars. No ambulances, refuse collectors, delivery vans etc etc could get through. Do you tell all these residents that they cannot park on their street and by the way the nearest place you can park is miles away and probably charge a fortune? Can you hear the howls of protest and imagine the political backlash?

Hopefully those tasked with handing out these fines will take a common sense approach and only use this very blunt instrument against those parking where a normal sensible person would consider to be irresponsible.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Nothing grinds my gears more than pavement parking and offering no defence here, but there are just far to many cars around and all we are doing is trying to fit a quart into a pint pot. 

Next door neighbours can park on the own proporty the same as myself which is just as well, but one has four cars for four people, the other has three cars for two people and for the Mrs and myself we have just the one.

So what's the answer?

Answers on a postcard .... if you can find enough room to say what you need to. 😉

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
Mayfly
Seasoned Pro

I have no problem with motorists parking with 2 wheels on the pavement providing they leave about 3' to get wheelchairs and pushchairs through. It's the thoughless inconsiderate ones that take up all the pavement who need to think again.

TTman
Seasoned Champion

@Baldrick1 

hopefully those tasked with handing out these fines will take a common sense approach and only use this very blunt instrument against those parking where a normal sensible person would consider to be irresponsible.

I think that you have a snowballs chance in hell of that happening. Not in the job description. How do you think they would pay for all the cycle lanes!!!!Angry

Strat
Fixes: 506

I think drivers would really have something to say if I and a few friends set up a table on the side of the road and proceeded to play a few hands of cards.

Police would be very quick to move us if we ignored the advice of drivers.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Mayfly 

I have no problem with motorists parking with 2 wheels on the pavement providing they leave about 3' to get wheelchairs and pushchairs through. It's the thoughless inconsiderate ones that take up all the pavement who need to think again.

But that there is problem Mayfly, they don't leave enough room for a wheelchair, and they certainly don't leave not enough room for a double buggy which unlike a wheelchair cannot fit through a standard sized door.

We regularly walk locally and quite often there is not enough room to get past some of cars where as you say, they take up all of the pavement - which means of course having to walk in the road in order to get past.

It is what it is and I understand that but it's still annoying none the less.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@TTman 

Reading earlier funnily enough that roads were not meant for cars, paved roads were actually intended for 'bicyclists'. There were those long straight roman roads of course, but the were not meant for cars either!  

Weird eh. 

Alex
Community Veteran

I rememvber speaking to one of the car park attendents in their office. Really nice person, he said.

Him: "If someone says they have lost their ticket, and they are an old lady and are nice to me. I'd put it through as a damaged ticket and let them out".

Him: "If it were someone giving me grief and being abusive I would charge them the £20".

The council can charge you the £20 for a lost ticket, but he was nice enough to be selective on whom to charge for it.

How my brain works.

Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

There are a couple of roads in this area where broken white lines have been painted along the pavement allowing cars to park on about a third of the width of the pavement.  There is no way a wheelchair or pushchair would have enough room to use what is left of that pavement.  If the authorities want to widen the road, move the kerb.

We must also consider the cost of repairing the damage to pavements caused by vehicles mounting them.  Near my local tube station the maintenance crews park their vans partly on the pavements overnight with the result that every paving stone is broken into numerous pieces making it look like uneven crazy paving and no doubt causing problems to wheelchair users and even pedestrians.

Alex
Community Veteran

Yes @Jonpe 

I know a song about vehicles mounting kerbs.

Seen one fatality about that, and another when two cars had a head on collision. Can't say any more there.