Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Income Tax Breakdown Letters

Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Income Tax Breakdown Letters

From today, millions will be sent letters showing how much income tax they pay – and what it is spent on.
The biggest proportion of your hard-earned tax goes on welfare
Is it just a ploy to soften up the Electorate for more Benefit / Welfare cuts ?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2818168/How-biggest-chunk-hard-earned-tax-goes-welfare-Avera...
11 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Income Tax Breakdown Letters

Quote from: PlusComUK
The biggest proportion of your hard-earned tax goes on welfare

The second biggest proportion will be on millions of letters that show what our taxes are spent on. Angry
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: PlusComUK
Is it just a ploy to soften up the Electorate for more Benefit / Welfare cuts ?
Yes it is. Sickening isn't it when we cant help those worse off in 2014 in a country that has...oil for one.
Infinity
Pro
Fixes: 2

Osborne's tax summary dismissed as propaganda by the TUC
The letters show that 24.5% of government spending goes on welfare payments.
The first statements showing taxpayers where their money goes are "very misleading", the TUC says.
"The chancellor is relying on the fact that many people think spending called welfare all goes to the unemployed," said the TUC's general secretary, Frances O'Grady.
She said the government was trying to soften the electorate up for further cuts.
alanf
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

In principle I think this is a good thing. Local authorities have to send out breakdowns of where the funds that they spend go. The local authorities include the documents with the Council tax bills so no additional postal charges. Why are HMRC sending out these letters in November rather than with tax demands / letters requiring tax returns be completed?
Community Veteran

Quote from: alanf
Why are HMRC sending out these letters in November rather than with tax demands / letters requiring tax returns be completed?
Not all taxpayers get letters from HMRC regularly or ever.
It sounds good in principal and will no doubt provoke many further questions, not least:
1. Define the terms used (e.g. Welfare) in terms we understand
2. Provide much more detailed breakdown of the larger items.
Without at least that information, speculation and the drawing of totally incorrect conclusions will be rife!  Cry
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

After a bit of digging http://www.ukpublicspending.co.uk/uk_welfare_spending_40.html and the two biggest ones
for central government are
Family and children (CKSFC) 15.9
Social exclusion n.e.c (CKSSE) 29.2
and for local
Social protection (current) (LKSOP) 54.5
and I don't know what the acronyms mean
So perhaps AndyH could help
Fixes: 105

i got mine today..
Will Moderate For Thanks
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I think it's quite clear that David Cameron is making a rod for his own back.
All he seems to enjoy doing along with his pal George, is picking on the most vulnerable in society and then amplifying their need as some sort of cause of the breakdown of our country. Nothing to do with unwarranted wars, investments in iceland, expense scandals, over spending on foreign travel, foreign aid etc.
Lets face it, we're a small island and we have a limited amount of cash yet our governments for years have enjoyed selling off profit generating public services to private companies, spending higher and higher amounts of money and then wondering why we've got into such a mess. Oh of course... it's the POOR PEOPLES FAULT!
Cameron has just fired himself.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Agreed,
Totally clueless about what's going on in the country
Steve
Seasoned Pro

Quote from: 7up
All he seems to enjoy doing along with his pal George, is picking on the most vulnerable in society
That lot in wastemonster is now trying to turn us against each other with this distasteful stunt. Burn them all and let us be governed by the  ' British ' ? monarchy instead.
Community Veteran

Quote from: HPsauce
It sounds good in principal and will no doubt provoke many further questions, not least:
1. Define the terms used (e.g. Welfare) in terms we understand
2. Provide much more detailed breakdown of the larger items
The BBC seem to have made a start on #2. here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-29898083
Interesting that they say
the welfare section includes pensions paid to nurses, doctors, police officers and fire crew. Many might think this is not really "welfare" spending.