cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Incandescent bulb ban.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Incandescent bulb ban.

There's been a LOT of misinformation about the phasing-out of the old tungsten light bulb in the style of "we're all doomed!". My neighbour believes that they are all going to be stopped but that's not true. The facts are (as taken from a quite complex EU document)....
1. In March, the European Union passed a directive banning traditional-style filament light bulbs, the first stage of which came into effect on Tuesday, 1st September 2009. The Directive is quite complex and includes a number of exceptions but, essentially this means that virtually all incandescent frosted bulbs (which are defined as omni-directional) will be banned from September and clear bulbs which are not category C energy efficiency rating or better (and which are also defined as omni-directional) be phased out over the next four years. It will not be illegal to sell or use these items, but retailers will not be allowed to re-stock after the dates detailed below.
2. Any bulb with a frosted, opal, pearl or other opaque finish - unless they are category A energy savers - will be banned from 1st September 2009. No if's or but's! This represents bulbs with an efficiency of less that 5%.
3. In recognition of the fact  that it is more difficult to replace clear bulbs with energy saving versions, the Directive provides for these not to be banned outright. Instead, a phasing out of the least efficient bulbs will be as follows, although this effectively means that only the best types of halogen energy saver bulbs will be able to meet the new requirements:
■All clear bulbs must be category E or better from 1st September 2009. The lowest energy categories are F and G.
■100W bulbs and above must be category C or better from 1st September 2009.
■75W bulbs and above must be category C or better from 1st September 2010.
■60W bulbs and above must be category C or better from 1st September 2011.
■All clear bulbs must be category C or better from 1st September 2012.
In other words, 100W bulbs banned now, 75W bulbs OK until Sept 2010, 60W bulbs OK until Sept 2011, 40W bulbs OK until Sept 2012, and thereafter all clear bulbs are a no-no unless someone comes up with a marvellous way of making them ultra-efficient!
4. Bulbs not affected by the ban are...
■Spotlights
■Striplights
■Special Miniature Bulbs (i.e. cooker hood bulbs, oven bulbs, fridge bulbs, etc.)
■Crown Silver Bulbs
■Daylight Bulbs
■Fireglow Bulbs
.... in other words any bulb that is "directional" in nature or which would be difficult or impossible to replace with a lower energy version (eg oven bulbs).
So the upshot is "don't panic", and you will still be able to obtain your lava-lamp bulbs etc without difficulty (unless all the recent press coverage causes panic buying!).
5 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: Incandescent bulb ban.

other words, 100W bulbs banned now, 75W bulbs OK until Sept 2010, 60W bulbs OK until Sept 2011, 40W bulbs OK until Sept 2012, and thereafter all clear bulbs are a no-no unless someone comes up with a marvellous way of making them ultra-efficient!

your choice of quotes is not helpful,what is banned is the restocking of the bulbs, all current stock in shops can be sold, and they can be used up to the time that they fail
there is already a long thread on this subject
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

See the first para...
"It will not be illegal to sell or use these items, but retailers will not be allowed to re-stock after the dates detailed below".
I've not seen this written elsewhere TBH..  so sorry if I've wasted my time!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

You didn't waste your time.
I thought of merging it into the original thread http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,79028.48.html but it didn't seem to be worth the effort  Embarrassed
Fixes: 47

But you could lock it in favour of the linked thread Wink
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Why bother - the original thread has died naturally  Grin