cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the internet age, should councils continue to fund public libraries?

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

In the internet age, should councils continue to fund public libraries?

Library protest day was held yesterday....................................... Whadda do we want?.........SILENCE PLEASE
Do you have a view?
Visiting and joining a local library (where ever I am) has becone a enjoyable ritual.
16 REPLIES
nadger
Rising Star

Re: In the internet age, should councils continue to fund public libraries?

My wife is a regular user of our local library and always has a few books on loan - nice to be able to renew them on line.
She never uses internet herself.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

er um, my local library has at least ten internet terminals, for those who dont have one at home Crazy Crazy
Ellis
Grafter

Our County Council closed a village library about two years ago. One of my colleagues in the Cyclists' Touring Club took it over and has been running it with volunteers ever since. It's not easy but it's a way of keeping the village library going. The County Council supply the books.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As a voracious reader I'm saddened by the closure of libraries. However in this part of west Hertfordshire near Watford there are a lot of small satellite libraries that frankly have a very limited shelf content, there is also a mobile library visiting most parts of the area regularly. If I want to visit the library I usually go to the main central library where the choice is much larger (using the local to return books)
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Tricky subject. If you don't use a library then you may not be bothered about them closing.
I Found that many of the books were fairly old and some out of date so I tend to purchase magazines or books via Amazon (due to good discounts and free postage)
However many people, in particular those with children may not be in so fortunate a position as myself so I think Libraries should be improved but more in line with modern technology so more people could have access to computers to access internet services, something which I think the government is trying to encourage.
Steve
Pro

I rely on my local library for Internet access If mines was to ever go down completely.
Fixes: 47

Years ago I used to spend much of my spare time in the Reference library in Sheffield and had membership of my local library.
A busy lifestyle took away most of that spare time and with it my reading time.
Recently a purchase of an Amazon Kindle has meant I am reading again and enjoying it. Maybe I'll join my local library once more.
With regard to Steve's post above libraries probably now offer far more services than when I last visited.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Quote from: gleneagles
I Found that many of the books were fairly old and some out of date so I tend to purchase magazines or books via Amazon

Oddly, I find this a library attraction, if I can't get them from Amazon.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

When I retired I enrolled on a short (free course) at the local college and this gave me access to their fairly extensive library which included many of the most recent magazines & daily papers.
I was surprised at the lack of security. You did need to go through a barrier to make sure no books were being taken out but I was never asked for any identity.
Not that I am suggesting anyone who is not entitled to be there should use the library but there are a number of free courses for anyone who may wish to take them up.
jmd
Grafter

Nottinghamshire County Council opened our new library in Worksop last September and it is excellent - they have regular supplies of new books [well, so far!], lots of internet access, cafe, toilets, and regular events/exhibitions.  On a Wednesday morning you can go and have a cuppa and chat with others about books they are reading and every so often they have had authors along to speak.  They also have lots of childrens activities on Saturdays - the other week there was a "Horrid Henry" Day!
I use the library a lot - usually go once a week at least.
In the smaller villages the hours have been cut but their is also a mobile library that goes round.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: gleneagles
When I retired I enrolled on a short (free course) at the local college and this gave me access to their fairly extensive library which included many of the most recent magazines & daily papers.
I was surprised at the lack of security. You did need to go through a barrier to make sure no books were being taken out but I was never asked for any identity.
Not that I am suggesting anyone who is not entitled to be there should use the library but there are a number of free courses for anyone who may wish to take them up.

I believe that College and University Libraries are part of the British Library and as such are open to the general public. I know that I can use the local college library using my normal library card. The local college was rebuilt only a couple of years ago and the library is on the ground floor and not controlled by the normal security turnstiles which one has to have a electronic pass to enter the building. So the general public can enter the library without going to the security desk to get a pass.   
Ellis
Grafter

Itsme,
Not all University Libraries are open to the public, the Cambridge University Library certainly insn't. One of my neighbours does maintenance work at the CUL and he had a job to get a card to allow him to use the library. Although I still do casual work for the University, I cannot use the library.
Community Veteran

A company, Library Systems and Services, has come up with a plan to run our libraries on behalf of local authorities.  It says with reductions of a third in budgets they can still rescue many libraries presently threatened with closure. They are currently in talks with a number of library authorities. This is from an article in yesterday's Sunday Times.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Cant see how they could do that in my library, Its virtually fully automated, one person on enquiry desk, and only other staff putting items back on shelf