Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the event of an accident

geewizz
Grafter

In the event of an accident

... pull this finger.
No, but seriously - In the event of an accident in your car, do you have a fire extinguisher available?
I was first on the scene of an accident this afternoon (seventh if you count the six people in the two cars involved) and one of the cars had smoke coming out of the front end. I shouted for a fire extinguisher so that I would have some cover while i attempted to disconnect the battery. Sadly, not one of us was carrying a fire extinguisher so I had to stand back and let it burn. Thankfully it came to nothing and the smoke stopped after a minute or so.
One of the first things I'm going to do tomorrow morning is to get a fire extinguisher fitted in my van. I don't want to find myself in that situation again but if I do, I want to be better prepared.
So, have you got one? Have you got a basic first aid kit too?
50 REPLIES
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Re: In the event of an accident

I have but it is about 10 years old, they do have a limited life, but I an not sure what it is, suppose I could ask our local fire station as it is a county industrial training centre. Shocked
geewizz
Grafter

True, they do need checked regularly and replaced when out of date. I reckon a small one for a car would have an expiry date set about 5 years after manufacture. I certainly wouldn't rely on a 10 year old valve in an emergency.
Do you carry a first aid kit, pierre?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

pierre it should say on the Fire Extinguisher, but it is 5 years from the date of manufacturing of the Fire Extinguisher, so your Fire Extinguisher is 5 years out of date!
If it is one of the bigger Fire Extinguishers you can get it refilled!
[Edit]
Have a look at this site
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Normally only a small First aid kit, But I have a rather large travel kit, has nearly every thing in it, stuff normal first aider dare not use, I used to be the first aider on work trip to Italy looking after about 20 idiots.  After one beach barby, about three days later, one of tem came to me could I look at his leg, he had tripped over a rock, still had about half a bucket of rubbish in a rather deep gash.  Cleaned it out by scrapping with scalpel, washed with bottled water, dont trust the taps.
Idiots?  came back to the Garage one day to find a Contract Engineer from Lucas Injection dissecting an injection pump with the aid of the tweezers from the first aid kit  Undecided Cry Lips are sealed
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Just looked at fire extinguisher, it is a Thorn Halon 1211one with a pressure gauge currently just on the junction between green and red.
Denzil
Grafter

Go and get it replaced/refilled then! A fire extinguisher that has too little pressure is fairly useless. Anyone who carries out should get one of a reasonable size. 1kg is OK. The smaller ones won't have enough powder to put out anything very much. If you do have to use it on an engine fire, make sure you don't heave the bonnet open, as this will give the fire extra air and could give you a face full of fire Embarrassed. Release the bonnet just to leave a small gap, and give the extinguisher a good squirt through that before opening the bonnet.
I read a recent story in a car magazine where the writer filled up at a filling station and had just paid when he saw smoke coming from the car. He ran to it and called for help, but the cashier did not shut down the pumps, and other drivers just stood watching whilst they carried on filling up!
BTW I do carry an extinguisher and a first aid kit. You need to know what to do with a first aid kit, of course, so I would recommend everyone to do a basic first aid course.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Denzil
....BTW I do carry an extinguisher and a first aid kit. You need to know what to do with a first aid kit, of course, so I would recommend everyone to do a basic first aid course.

I would also recommend fire extinguisher training as well. If it not used correctly (or the right type) it is a waste of time using it at all and may even make matters worse.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

I always thought Halon was a gaseous liquid and not powder Crazy
just looked it up, seems it is good but not now allowed as it is politically incorrect.  Still allowed in some circumstances though, might have to look for a replacement
Denzil
Grafter

OK, you're right, missed that. The point still applies - whatever the contents are they are no good unless there is enough pressure to push them out.
Community Veteran

Halon is very effective but lethal  Shocked
pierre_pierre
Grafter

just finished reading up on Halon, good article, gives alternatives and their uses http://www.firesafe.org.uk/html/fsequip/halon2.htm
Community Veteran

Its always the same if you carry an extinguisher you will never need it. I used to deliver brand new cars for a firm and remember a brand new one setting on fire on the motorway. We had to use our coffee and when that failed we were glad we had drunk a lot before starting the journey if you get my drift.
geewizz
Grafter

Grin I hope that car got a thorough valet service before it was put on the forecourt.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Had some Fire training at Heathrow airport. Halon is illegal to use nowadays in public places. the only place it is still available is in the Channel Tunnel I believe, it is as already pointed out lethal (if effective in use) in enclosed places. I believe it is the extinguisher of choice for aircraft engine fires.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.