Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the days before Woke

Baldrick1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 190

Re: In the days before Woke

There’s a whole new vocabulary that you have to learn. A couple more that I have picked up recently from this forum.

‘My bad’ does not precede ‘leg’ etc. but means ‘that’s my error’.

‘Reaching out’ does not precede ‘for my trusty hammer’ etc. but means ‘contacting me/us’.

In retrospect in my young days being ‘cool’ stopped meaning ‘feeling cold’, but hasn’t that changed again and now means ‘I like that’?

7up
Community Veteran
Fixes: 14

thats sick.. used to mean something bad too. Now it's the equivalent of sleek, brilliant etc.

In fact these days it's the latest politically uncorrect thing to use words in the complete and opposite way they were intended for.

Thankfully you can still say "that's twisted" without it meaning something else but it's only a matter of time.

Oh an whats with sanctions? - Iraq had plenty of sanctions and yet my ex employer used to sanction overtime..

I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

I have no problem with new words emerging or old one decaying, the problem is when driven by the woke/PC/snowflake/über feminist brigade certain words are suddenly deemed offensive. Some are I grant you, such as the N word coming as it does with the caveat that it can only be used by a certain racial group.

Nobody should want to cause offence, but it's become even more confusing than trying to work out the whys and wherefores of those car coolant colours. Add to that autocorrect software, plusnets arbitrary naughty step words and American English, it's a wonder anybody can even string a sentence together. 

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
jab1
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 74

I still use words for the meaning they had when I was taught them at school 50 years back - if someone doesn't like it - tough.

John
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 32

@7up wrote:

Oh an whats with sanctions? - Iraq had plenty of sanctions and yet my ex employer used to sanction overtime..

'Twas ever thus.

It's essentially 'permission', either for or against.

A journey of a thousand sites begins with a single click.

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Strat
Fixes: 514

It's a language designed to confuse the elderly........but we have Urban Dictionary Thumbs_Up

I remember Dog Latin, designed for the same purpose.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0 (64-bit)

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

@Strat wrote:

ITYM Pig Latin ?

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

He-may

Cheesy

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Eciselypray!

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Strat
Fixes: 514

@198kHz wrote:

@Strat wrote:

ITYM Pig Latin ?

It had variations in name and format across the country.....dialects?

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 89.0 (64-bit)

198kHz
Seasoned Hero

Unlike the similarly named language game Pig Latin, Dog Latin is more of a humorous device for invoking scholarly seriousness

https://www.definitions.net/definition/dog+latin+language

ADSL2+   Billion 7800N
Jonpe
Hero
Fixes: 9

Since teachers decided to be trendy back in the 60s English language has been poorly taught, and the young watch an awful lot of US TV so for example the American gotten has replaced got as the past participle of the verb to get.  Yes, I know the same word was used in English originally but not for quite a long time until recent years.

One fairly recent development that I find jarring is plurals used as the first part of compound nouns, e.g. languages teacher and sciences teacher instead of the correct language teacher and science teacher.  The news reports on the BBC text service are full of these.

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Language apart at least most of you do not have to suffer Wenglish.

Mrs Minivanman will often says things like  "I'll be there now in a minute" and once when on canal holiday and checking where we were my son asked "where by are we" as a single word "wherebyarewe". 

We all still chuckle about that one. 😆

idonno
Champion
Fixes: 6

@Jonpe wrote:

Since teachers decided to be trendy back in the 60s English language has been poorly taught,

Language is forever evolving. 😄 I recall being in Singapore, back in 2010, where I met up with an English teacher. She was bemoaning the fact that her students were speaking Singlish rather than pure English and it was on the rise. Simple reason for Singlish was the multitude of different languages spoken in Singapore. As you travel around what is a pretty small country, you suddenly realise that they all speak their own lingo. Mind you I never did get to grips with Singlish - not much good outside of Singapore. Maybe the UK is going the same way.

I see English quite frequently labelled American English! No doubt they invented that as well.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

I do recall reading @idonno that American English especially the spelling is actually closer to the original (1600s) English and that our own has adapted/merged with French spellings. 

Not sure if it's true but it sort of makes sense and would go some way to explaining the differences. Still annoying though when that autocorrect kicks in regardless of any settings.