cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In the Cloud

Community Veteran

In the Cloud

I'll start this subject in Chit Chat but a mod may move it if it becomes too technical.
I want to know the best way to use the cloud.  I mainly use my desktop PC at home but also have a laptop and tablet. It would be nice to be able to access all my files on the desktop on the other devices whilst I am away from home.
Is this a simple thing to do?
23 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Re: In the Cloud

I use a combination of gotomypc for remote access and file sharing with also holding some files on google (docs). Works well from most locations where you have internet access.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Fixes: 125

I use TeamViewer for access between laptop, phone, desktop and tablet which works well.
Like AlaricAdair I also store some files in the 'cloud' but using OneDrive.
I think the name 'cloud' is misleading and leads to a kind of mystical approach to where one's data is stored.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

depends if you devices's share the same OS and file handling capabilities.
I use the onedrive facility with office online to access anything I need to from my pc /phone /tablet/laptop, all that's required is to install the desktop app and your files get synced every time you connect to the internet
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Quote from: Mav
I use TeamViewer for access between laptop, phone, desktop and tablet which works well.
Like AlaricAdair I also store some files in the 'cloud' but using OneDrive.
I think the name 'cloud' is misleading and leads to a kind of mystical approach to where one's data is stored.

Thank you for the info various people have posted.
I know what you mean by 'cloud' being misleading  but I am aware it simply refers to a remote storage.
What I am hoping to find is a simply way to store files etc and access them from other devices. It looks like onedrive may be the answer.
Why do you also use TeamViewer, is it just for additional capacity?
I looked at gotomypc but it looks like they charge for their use.
sjptd
Grafter

Dropbox and Google Drive also work very well, and (as for OneDrive) are free for smaller volumes: typically documents but not photos and certainly not videos.
My experience with Dropbox has been the most positive of the three:  OneDrive is a pain if you use Windows 8.1 and don't want to log in to the OS with a Microsoft account.
I also use TeamViewer.  Mainly for access to other people's PCs when we are working together; also for access to one of my PCs which I am migrating away from so is currently 'headless'.
Community Veteran

Thanks for your reply.
Being new to the Cloud my questions may be a bit basic, sorry for that.
I assume you can be selective as to what you put into the Cloud from your PC. Can you for example put files and your email 'sent' box' in the Cloud?
How/where do you select these from?
sjptd
Grafter

You can be selective but it isn't always as easy as it might be.  All the services are similar, but details differ between them.
Your best bet for email sent box (and other folders too) is probably to use web access or a separate mail client on each machine.  Again, the best way to arrange that depends on which email provider you are using; and (yet again) it isn't always as easy to set up as it might be.
Community Veteran

Just looked at TeamViewer. It states free to non-commercial isers. Is that free to download and to use?
Hope this isn't a silly question but if I have a PC with 30GB used on the harddrive can the whole volume be uploaded easily?
Once something is uploaded does it update automatically when amended on the main PC or a laptop using it?

Apologies, artmo, as I may have mislead you with my reference to Teamviewer which I mentioned after AlaricAdair spoke of gotomypc.
I don't use Teamviewer for file sharing per-se but rather to access my PC or laptop remotely to upload a file I may need, that's not already there, to OneDrive. One drive is ample for me as most of the files are keep are related to my OU course plus a few other files I may need at times. Most files are relatively small - presently there is only a tad over 1GB being used.
Further to what sjptd has said a OneDrive folder is created on the hard drive to which you drag any files to/from which is then synced with OneDrive. I have 25GB free OneDrive storage but don't upload large files due to my limited upload speed.
Teamviewer is totally free to download and use for non-commercial use. You can download software for each device to either just be remotely accessed or to be able to remotely access other devices. e.g. I have installed the software on my PC and laptop so I can use either to remotely access other devices as well as be accessed themselves but my daughter's PC has the software that only allows it to be accessed and not access any of my PCs within the same account.
Hope that helps.

Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain

sjptd
Grafter

Just looked at TeamViewer. It states free to non-commercial isers. Is that free to download and to use?  Yes, but as Mav has pointed out it may not be what you need anyway.
Hope this isn't a silly question but if I have a PC with 30GB used on the harddrive can the whole volume be uploaded easily?  You will probably end up needing a paid account to be able to upload 30GB.    Dropbox is initially limited to just 2GB free, and I think (it keeps changing) OneDrive and GoogleDrive both offer 15GB free.  There are some special OneDrive offers around at the moment up to 100GB, I'm not at all sure of the details.
Once something is uploaded does it update automatically when amended on the main PC or a laptop using it?  Yes.  Also, if you delete something on one it will be deleted on all.  However, all the systems give some level of backup for deleted files (typically up to around 1 month) and access to some historic versions in case you make a change by mistake or just need to see how a file used to be.
Community Veteran

@Mav and sjptd thanks for your continued help. What I think I should do is to install OneDrive and play around with it. So long as I don't put anything important on it I can't do any harm Undecided
My laptop is W8.1 and I noted your earlier comment.
Does Google have any advantages/disadvantages over OneDrive?

Although OneDrive needs a password to access I still upload some files in password protected zip/rar files.
I actually started by using DropBox but didn't like it. Then SkyDrive (as it was back then) had an offer for 25GB storage and went for that. I find it easy to access and manipulate but that is using a mixture of W7, W7 Pro and Android.

Community Veteran

Ah! You've answered another question for me - it works for Android does ti?
DaveyH
Pro
Fixes: 7

If you're going with OneDrive then Microsoft have a couple of offers to get 'free' additional storage ATM that may be of interest
The first is 100GB free for 2 years if you sign up to Bing Rewards
http://www.windowscentral.com/100gb-free-onedrive-storage-through-bing-rewards-now-available-everyon...
The second is 100GB free for 1 year to Dropbox users
http://thenextweb.com/apps/2015/02/20/dropbox-users-can-score-100gb-onedrive-storage-free/