cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In car cameras

gnicholson8
Grafter

In car cameras

So, basically I've had a couple of run ins on the roads nothing major problematic but people out there drive like cunts these days and as I drive on one of the major roads to and from London it does get a large amount of them but today was the last straw, some stupid open top lorry carrying gravel/stones had its canvas top not secure properly which has caused a rock (about the size of my fist) to hit my car (I was passing him on the outside lane) leaving a massive scratch on my roof.
Now I can't find the name of the company (J Mitchel something or other) and don't have the reg of the vehicle so I've decided to install a Dashcam onto my car.
So has anyone used these or can recommend one? I'm not looking to spend an awful lot but I want one that will be able to capture registrations and incidents should they take place.
16 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: In car cameras

Someone I work with uses a GoPro camera, but he's into flying model helicopters and uses it for that.
I've seen motorbikes use them on the road in London. I think they're also waterproof so handy for people into diving.
Fixes: 47

Maybe something like this dedicated unit.
Personally I don't have anything fitted but have considered doing so and this would be on my short list.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
gnicholson8
Grafter

Cheers for that, looks pretty good but some peoples review says the resolution is quite poor (even though it's listed as 1280*480)
Going to investigate that one a bit more, looks interested but that's a weird resolution listed unless that resolution is for front/back camera side by side.
Alex, Thanks for the GoPro (my sister uses one as a driving instructor but they're a lot more expensive than I wished to spend)
Fixes: 47

Having had a closer look at the customer's video, number plates need to be very close to be readable but that may be down to upload quality.
I would be interested in your final choice.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
Community Veteran

If these devices are fixed permanently to the dashboard wouldn't this present a security risk allowing someone to break into the car and steal the camera?
gnicholson8
Grafter

They're usually held in by suction cups and can be placed in the glove box and some add extra security as they record when engine is off/attempt theft,
who in their right mind would break into a car to steal it's security camera :p
dick:quote
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

You'd be surprised - I suspect savvy car thieves are in the minority.
Community Veteran

Thank you Alex Smiley
On TV recently they showed a thief who was captured on a dashboard camera that was working whilst the driver was not in the vehicle but left the camera working.
gnicholson8
Grafter

Yeah I guess, most thieves seem idiotic, My actual car park overnight/at work is pretty secure but it is suction mounted (like most GPS Units)
I am looking at this one, looking for a actual video of it in use though.
This one
Video Here

Better video here in 720p
Community Veteran

have you seen some of those russian crash compilations?  apparently many russians fit cameras to make sure that they get evidence for the insurance company.  comes in handy when a meteor passes across the sky.
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

gnicholson8
Grafter

Quote from: artificer
have you seen some of those russian crash compilations?  apparently many russians fit cameras to make sure that they get evidence for the insurance company.  comes in handy when a meteor passes across the sky.

Yeah, I mean it's another reason why I want one, it just makes it so much easier if something does go wrong. the Meteor one was amazing Smiley
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Saw this and thought of you... Smiley
Shows the value of dash-cams

gnicholson8
Grafter

And this is exactly why I want one, people can't be trusted any more.
Something similar happened to my sister (she is a driving instructor and blamed it on one of her students who were driving) and the person who hit her called the police/ambulance claiming to be injured, she just waited till the police arrived and let them watch the footage.