cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

In car Phone Charger (Mini radio station)

Fixes: 47

In car Phone Charger (Mini radio station)

I bought a mid priced double USB in-car phone charger off Amazon.
I gave it a try today and it delivers a healthy charge for my phone.
I then set off and switched on the radio......no broadcasts from my local BBC station Huh
I then tried Capital, again with no luck.
On arriving at my destination I had a fiddle with the radio and came to the conclusion that the local relay must be down.
I then removed the charger from the auxiliary power socket and the radio burst into life. Huh
I plugged the charger back in and silence returned.
To cut a long story short after swapping chargers and cables and doing a bit of Googling I came to the conclusion that the charger was radiating RF across all known frequencies and drowning out the stations.
Other chargers of a similar type incorporate RF suppression.
Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: In car Phone Charger

Complain to the seller that the item is  " not of merchantable quality"  in as much as, it causes RF interference, as you have experienced it... and possibly it does not comply with the rules on R.F. emissions in UK law....    Trading standards may be able to help you regarding that last bit...
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: In car Phone Charger (Mini radio station)

if that's the case it will either be a duff unit or not genuine, there's ECC rules about that sort of thing, if your purchased it off a UK or EU based shop contact them and alert them to the problem, if its from overseas you might be on a loosing front with that although if you paid with it through paypal then you can always claim the money back and get a decent one that is compliant, for stuff like that I tend not to spend more than a fiver and often get them from trixes play or amazon store when there on sale Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Community Veteran

Re: In car Phone Charger (Mini radio station)

I have a similar one that all but kills the local radio signal.
I also suspect it was the cause for the only breakdown I've ever experienced in my car due to excess RF confusing some of the sensors. I was driving along with it plugged in and suddenly lost power, the car was firing on 2 cylinders so I suspected slipped cambelt or duff coilpack. Tried for ages to get it going before getting a tow home.
Next day, car started first time and ran perfectly. I've not used the charger since and it has gone without a problem for a year and a half now  Grin