Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Improvements to software and standards

gleneagles
Community Veteran
Fixes: 16

Improvements to software and standards

I use some photography software that gets a lot of good feedback from it users....often along the lines of, ' we asked for various additions and improvements....the company has listened and introduced those changes in it's recently released new version....'

I guess there are a few companies and services that actually listen to customers and at least make some attempt to improve services whilst keeping in mind costs, personally I have never owned or ran a business but to me it would be a B obvious thing for any service or company to do.......

We are born into history and history is born into us.
20 REPLIES 20
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: Improvements to software and standards

Reminds of the days when I used a well thumbed London A to Z - something any motorist living in the capital would never be without if they had any sense, and the publisher would ask to be notified of any errors - of which there would many given the way things changed.

B****r to drive and read at the same though. 😉

Now of course such things are used by street walking tourists... and very good they are as well. 

Just imagine trying to correct your sat nav! 

Good to hear about a company that does listen although I suppose being as cynical as I am it would be in their interest rather than just providing a service with no benefit to themselves.  

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 47

On the other hand.... it could be a "marketing ploy".... they never got any feeback whatsoever... but went ahead with the changes under the guise of...

"we listened to what you said......     etc    etc  etc ."

Much the same as PlusNet do....

They, do the reverse...  they listen to what their customers say..

. and do the opposite anyway...Huh

Strat
Fixes: 506

I noticed an error on Google Maps, notified them and it was corrected within 2 days.

Customer and Forum Moderator. Windows 10 Firefox 88.0.1 (64-bit)

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

Google maps still shows our house under restoration six months after we bought it eleven years ago with the roof half off and my old French registered LHD Transit parked up out front.

Maybe I should drop them an email. What do you think?

twocvbloke
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

Just imagine trying to correct your sat nav!

The Satnav people do offer a form to submit errors, but they only work if the end users actually bothered to keep their devices updated, like round here there's two streets of the same name, one of which I live on, different postcodes, different villages, but as they fall under the umbrella of a town that is neither here nor there, some of the satnavs get the two streets confused and send delivery people to the other one when they were meant to be here, resulting in missed or lost deliveries... 🙄

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman wrote:

Google maps still shows our house under restoration six months after we bought it eleven years ago with the roof half off and my old French registered LHD Transit parked up out front.

Maybe I should drop them an email. What do you think?

@Minivanman Aren't you actually writing there about Streetview rather than the map?

Has the map kept up to date; road not lengthened, not made into dual carriageway? Smiley

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Hero

I think I once saw in the lat couple of years a streetview of 2009! My chilhood road, pic dates 2012 and it didn't even reach my house somewhere near the van. In truth nothing had changed much, when I made a reminiscimg  and where di you live,dad visit about 5 years back with my son. 

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Indeed I am,  but if the street had changed how would they know as obviously they don't.

Not a criticism either, just an observation..... see what I did there? 😜

Luzern
Hero

@Minivanman  misssing link?🤔😆?

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Like Google maps, you've lost me there.

Luzern
Hero

it was your "see what I did there" that has confused me, and I confess to a joking reference to a/the missing link. Grin

Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Ah no, it was the use of the word 'observation' and the fact maps were being discussed. 😃

Mook
Champion
Fixes: 2

Normally software, both in its initial development and its life time use an iterative approach, by fixing bugs, adding features and testing in a continual cycle. The more user feedback a product gets, then in theory the better the product can be. But like all things in life product X from Vendor A won't fit the requirements of all.

Having said that if a software vendor doesn't listen to its customer base chances are those customers will treat the company with the contempt it rightly deserves and migrate to a competing product or spread discontent about it / them on the Internet.

I know that changing a simple function can have adverse effects to the product as a whole and in some companies the 'tools' used are ancient as no one wants to upgrade them for fear of breaking the product and the ensuing backlash.

I have worked in environments where it takes more than 5 people to authorise, code, build, test, approve and commit a trivial change to the code base. Yes, this approach has its advantages in that the product is usually very dependable but the equally the downside to this is the cost involved and the slow release of updates and versions.

RobPN
Hero
Fixes: 5

@Luzern  @Minivanman 

Perhaps you already know, but as it's not been mentioned I thought I would ...

On Street View, if you you click where it says 'Street View' (in the top left corner) there is a 'time-line' available where you can select images from different years.

Obviously the number of available images depends on how many times Google have visited the location being viewed.  Wink