cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impossible food!!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Impossible food!!

Let me first say; I don't eat these things...
"Know what I fancy for lunch" said SWMBO "uhmm!!" I responded (fearing the worst) "one of those Tesco ready meals a Cauliflower Cheese" she said.
"Oh ok" I said and off'd to my nearest Tesco to get one for her.
Cooking instructions: Remove cardboard sleeve and film lid. no probs piece of cake....or so I thought.
The sleeve was easy, but the film lid defied all attempts to get it off the rim of the plastic bowl, I eventually stabbed it with a knife and ripped it around inside the rim, inevitably missing a bit that Mrs P attempted to eat.
Anyone got any more examples of difficult packaging?
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
14 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

Re: Impossible food!!

Yeah... those prepacked slices of meat.... they have a corner that is supposed to be the place to start ripping open the packaging... but unfortunately, it is cut at the same time as the whole base part, and is almost impossible to get it separated enough to grip...
The other thing is those "pull back" milk sealers... where it has a plasticky filmy tab you have to tear back to lift off... If you suffer from arthiritis or have greasy finger & thumb, or just a weak grip, they are very difficult to remove.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 40

The other thing is those "pull back" milk sealers..
They're even worse in Portugal, Milk comes in plastic cartons, the top has a plastic 'ring pull' which removes the seal. Only problem is that on about 50% of the cartons the ring pull just breaks off!. Thenyou have to use a knife to cut out the seal.
Community Veteran

Quote from: MisterW
the top has a plastic 'ring pull' which removes the seal

I've had a few of those here.
Can't remember which supermarket they came from.
Community Veteran

Quote from: Petlew

The sleeve was easy, but the film lid defied all attempts to get it off the rim of the plastic bowl, I eventually stabbed it with a knife and ripped it around inside the rim, inevitably missing a bit that Mrs P attempted to eat.
Anyone got any more examples of difficult packaging?

Have you noticed all the writing is on the loose outer sleve with nothing on the sealed packing. So my expectation is that all the product is probably brought in from Bulgaria and the BS telling you how wonderful it is and the instructions are written by a marketing type in Guilford who's no knowledge at all  Angry
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Some types of medication that come in sealed foil are my main gripe, there is no way you can cut the foil without damaging the package, press too hard and the tablet breaks or shoots across the room, buy a packet of enteric coated Aspirin 75mgs if you want an example.
Products that come in very thick and hard moulded cases are another bugbear of mine, even using a good pair of scissors it takes ages to open them.
Then there are products that once you get the lid off.............there is a second lid to get off.
Community Veteran

@ PeterLoftus...... probably knows how to spell Guildford though ! ! !  Cheesy Grin
http://www.sweatybetty.com/images/guildford%20sign.JPG
Community Veteran

@shtter even if I did I wouldn't admit it  Lips are sealed
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran

Ooops... nuther typo.....  Roll eyes Roll eyes Roll eyes
Community Veteran

Try taking the cellophane wrapping off an iceberg lettuce Wink
Community Veteran

or just cut it in half, and keep one half partly wrapped ! ! ...  Cheesy
Community Veteran

I have two strapping sons, neither of whom can get on with ring-pulls as fitted to can's of soup etc..
Can't say I'm over keen on them, but use a plastic hook shaped device.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran

there's a lot to be said for a bench-mounted vice, a lump hammer and a cold chisel.  get into anything with that kit.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

The ring pulls on the rectangular tins of sardines. or the twist key to open a tin of corned beef?
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran

Never use them, I always open those sort of cans with a rotary can opener around the edges.