Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Important Disability Living Allowence (DLA) Warning

Hi All
[quote="Terrace Bar"]
Important DLA Warning
By gordo on: June 03, 2011, 03:25:42 PM
If you are or know anyone on DLA  Disability Living Allowence, please just take this as a word of warning, details are a little sparse,  I got this from a mailing of an internet based benefits help site (Benefits and Work), I haven't subscribed again yet so I don't have all the details excatly.  But enough to warn and take care myself.
Without their prior knowledge, the DWP has passed the names of many hundreds of DLA claimants to the company, which then contacts them directly.
The help site Benefits and Work is urging members to be very cautious if invited to take part in the trial, not least because of concerns over how wise it is to accept the £30 in vouchers being offered for doing so.
I believe that by accepting  £30 worth of vouchers, you are already breaking the law and in danger of losing benefit, don't be tricker and don't let anyone you know be tricked.
If you recieve a call from any company other than DWP tell them politely NO THANKS, and say if DWP want me to take part they will write to me first and only then will I take if I am forced to.  So kindly refrain from contacting me again.
This company  is interviewing hundreds of benefits claimants across the UK as part of the move to abolish disability living allowance (DLA) and replace it with personal independence payment (PIP).

Posted with permission.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Re: Important Disability Living Allowence (DLA) Warning

Fixes: 125

Scaremongering by the sounds of it.
I very much doubt receiving £30 worth of vouchers could be deemed breaking the law especially on a non-means tested benefit. Different if it was a regular income above the permitted work hours or income figures.
Jim's post seems to confirm what I say.

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

DLA isn't means tested iike income support or job seekers (means tested not NI contribution based) so a £30 gesture from G4S in conjunction with DWP and with their knowledge and approval shouldn't be anything to worry about. IF however you are also in receipt of Income support or JSA then you should not accept the vouchers. Only if you are in receipt of non means tested benefits should you accept. Sneaky that isn't it.
I'll admit its very rare for the DWP to like the idea of their customers having extra money but in this instance it looks legit. Of course.. there is something in it for the government if they can screw a few people out of their benefits under this new system so to me it looks like they're trying to bribe people to help them achieve it. The government want rid of the benefits bill (they'd rather people just vanish) so they'll do anything to make it harder to get benefits.
Looking at the photo though, the reference number looks to be a joke. The DWP always specify NI numbers in all correspondence.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!