cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Imperial v Metric

Fixes: 47

Imperial v Metric

An interesting question from a YouGov poll

The British Weights and Measures Association has reported that, following the result of the EU referendum, shops are regularly getting in touch to see if they can start selling food products in pounds and ounces again. Following Brexit, would you like to see a return to imperial measurements for produce?

I voted for retaining metric on the basis that senior folk are getting used to grammes and kilos and the young haven't known any different.

What do you think?

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
37 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Imperial v Metric

Metric makes more sense, be it temperature, mass, distance, volume or anything else, imperial is just annoying (even though I do refer to some things in feet & inches, but naffed if I can figure out how many of them are in a mile!), easier just to keep things as they are for now, then when the imperial lot have gone, then move to the metric system entirely... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

Feet and inches for me as making a mistake with metric by dropping a dot or missing a zero is a recipe for disaster. America kept imperial, why didn't we? 

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

There's a lot of americans (often engineers who need precise measures rather than fractions and "close enoughs") who use metric these days, a lot of products sold over there also carry both metric and imperial measures on them, and of course, merkin imperial is ever so slightly different to british imperial (E.G. US Pint (473ml) versus Proper Pint (568ml), and US Gallons (3.78L) versus UK Gallons (4.54L)), so aren't really interchangeable like the metric system which is the same wherever you go... Smiley

Minivanman
Hero
Fixes: 1

A merkin?, that's how George W Bush used to describe himself! Wink

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Merkin

All views expressed are my own but you can express them too if you want to be right about everything like I am.
Community Veteran

Yep, he's a merkin, and was prez for the merkin people, and it stuck, worldwide, cos the idea of a merkin is funny... Funny

Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Regarding US how about this one which was used in the steel industry when referring to oil film coating - mg/sq ft

Community Veteran

mg/SqFt is no worse than us brits using MPGs with tanks volumetrically measured & filled in Litres... Crazy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

As an Engineer I have done all my education in Metric, at school I did some Imperial but not much and it is more logical and avoids the conversion factors needed in Imperial. But weights and measures is something else, the old Imperial system is more anthropometric. Lengths related to parts of the body with the foot actually relating to the end of your leg, the yard being the length between the tip of your shoulder and the thumb on the other arm. The old thou ( thousandths of an inch) was easy to work with and was a logical extension to the use of a steel rule calibrated in 64ths. (One 64th equals 15 thou). I would like to see the end of gradients given as percentages which I think are meaningless to most people

To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

As an even older engineer - all my education and training was in the Imperial System and I used that during my early years as a design engineer where we used slide rules and the only way to check where the decimal point went was by a quick check using mental arithmetic (I got very good at that to the extent that I could get the answer right to within 10%)

We then made the decision to go metric - proper SI metric not your CGS, MKS systems - and I had a set of power/stress calculations in Imperial where the next update was in SI

The really big advantage in the SI system for me was that it was self consistent so odd ball conversions were not needed. This was really noticeable when I had to calculate the temperature rise in a water cooled copper/lead anode from one end to the other taking into account convective as well as conductive heat loss

Fixes: 47

PeterLoftus wrote:

I would like to see the end of gradients given as percentages which I think are meaningless to most people

I had cause to visit Matlock recently travelling down Lime Tree Hill.

The warning signs read 'Long Descent 1 in 7

Underneath is a red triangle hill warning with 14% on it.

I generally take it that if someone decided a warning sign was needed then I will exercise extra care and avoid getting in front of the large 10 wheel quarry stone lorries going up and down the hill.

Customer and Forum Moderator.
Product of the Tyrell Corporation
198kHz
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 7

In the 70s my father went to a hardware store and asked for 50 yards of garden hose. It's in metres now, he was told. OK, 45 metres will do. Will  that be half or three-quarter inch, sir? I see it's still the same now, albeit with the metric diameter often in brackets.

When playing lawn bowls my skip often says - you're a foot short, or a yard through etc. It wouldn't sound right to say 30 centimetres or a metre.

Not young enough to know everything
Luzern
Pro

twocvbloke wrote:

Yep, he's a merkin, and was prez for the merkin people, and it stuck, worldwide, cos the idea of a merkin is funny... Funny

In the spirit of how many mickles make a muckle, how many merkels make a merkin?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Luzern
Pro

But continentals still use the pound. They've just adopted it to mean half a kilo; in French 'livre', German 'pfund'.

Why can't us Brits be as pragmatic?

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Community Veteran

I worked with both in engineering and can't see any problem working with both now.

But as imperial is based on natural measurements I would like to see it back in the forefront with metric back to where it belongs, tagged on as an after thought.

At the very least I would like to see gallons back if only to see the shock on peoples faces as it dawns on them how they are being right royally screwed on fuel prices.