Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Impasse centers

Midnight_Caller
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Impasse centers

Hi All
Did you go to the "Impasse Center" in Middlesbrough?
I did and my lass did go to the Impasse on Corporation Road, by lass went to the one next door to the old Council Office was both of them have been demolished now.  I used to make me lass's lunch with us not having much money to spend on lunchs.
I went to:

• Impasse in the old Bins Building - on Corporation Road.

• Impasse Photography - Longlands

Impasse Middlesbrough, was a well developed resourced facility, and attempted to anticipate, needs and opportunities.  In Impasses buildings were excellent facilities for interests such as:
Woodwork - Ground Floor of the Bins Building
Audiovisual production - Longlands Building, has now been demolished.
Visual arts - Top Floor of the Bins Building
Fashion and general needlecraft - Bins Building
Catering - Bins Building
Theatre productions - Bins Building
Photography - Longlands Building, has now been demolished.
Garage - School Croft
Whatever the interest, facilities were made available.  The garage was equipped to commercial standards for engine and body work.  Each department was headed by a professional member of staff with the whole operation greatly dependent on volunteer help.
The buildings, though, were not to be self-contained centres for the unemployed but bases providing and releasing resources for all disadvantaged people in their local community.  With this in mind, Impasse pioneered a Tools Library providing a vast range of tools and equipment for some 5000 members to borrow for work at home.
Outreach work was a key element, with volunteers carrying out a wide range of work such as gardening and decorating for elderly and disabled people; in a specially adapted vehicle transporting those who were wheelchair-bound; taking into the community theatre productions of an amazingly high quality, and so on.
By the 1990s Impasse Middlesbrough was a small business with more than thirty staff and an annual budget of half a million pounds. It was regarded by many, including the local government chief officers with whom Impasse worked closely with, as a flagship and an extremely cost effective operation.
Now All Gone
[Edit]
Updated some info.
4 REPLIES
Community Veteran

Re: Impasse centers

Gary, sounds as if it was an interesting project.  Why was it demolished?
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

I do not no why it was discontinued.  The old Impasse Building was demolished wen the old Council Office was demolished, Impasse moved in to the old Bins Building on Corporation Road what is now a Restaurant and a Media Center.
Impasse Longlands Building has been demolished, there is a new housing estate their now.
[Edit]
Grammer.
[Edit]
Oh I forgot the Impasse Longlands Building use to be a car show room.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

It looks as though it was a Church based initiative and became a registered charity which then moved on to other things
http://www.artschaplaincy.org.uk/articles/impasse.html
http://www.artschaplaincy.org.uk/projects/impasse.html
Midnight_Caller
Rising Star

@Oldjim, I know it was a Church based initiative, but I did not know that it was a registered charity, it is sad that thay have dropped it and moved on to other things.
I got most of the info from your top link, but the rest of it is from memory.
[Edit]
I have done some more research in to Impasse
From Companies House:
Registered Office:
Impasse Middlesbrough Limited
72-80 Corporation Road
Middlesbrough 
TS1 2RH
Company Name: Impasse Middlesbrough Limited
Previous Names: Middlesbrough Impasse
Date of change: 09/05/1991
Date of Incorporation: 12/03/1986