Impact on my electricity bill of Government Policy

Community Veteran
Fixes: 54

Impact on my electricity bill of Government Policy

21 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Re: Impact on my electricity bill of Government Policy

And yet people will pay for it, if everyone stopped paying for everything, from mars bars to mortgages, the financial system would collapse entirely... Grin
nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

the larger problem is going to be replacing the current national grid with something that has the capacity to carry all those watts they are forecasting to be required by 2020, as more power stations go offline and nothing is being built we will be importing much of the countries base load electric supply, according ot official figures there isn't now the time required to build the plants that will be required before that point (forecast to be around 2017) and since renewables are unreliable we will be rather up the creek without a paddle as a nation either way in short order, it doesn't matter that we can produce 2 gigawatts of electric per hour on a bright sunny day, when a cloudy murky one we are lucky to get a gigawatt a week in total (and that's still only 2rds of the baseline power requirements)
the whole carbon capture nonsense annoys me, it was a con designed to steal money off the rich investment funds through selling carbon bonds as a trading commodity which they somehow underestimated and are now to scared to collapse the scam as worthless because it has several trillion pounds locked away (much of it from UK pension companies for groups like the armed forces the NHS the fire service the police force and of course MP's).
3 times the chancellor stood up and announced that the levies on the household bill would be reduced and 3 times this has failed to materialise, fair enough they did scrap the green tax but that disappeared when all the suppliers put their prices up to absorb the difference, worse they are now profiteering on the captive markets by failing to reduce the energy tariffs despite falling costs.....
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
itsme
Grafter

Scrapped the green tax? Thought it was just reduced/frozen
Community Veteran

Building an infrastructure for a country costs money. To fund this either the Government borrows money adding to the long term taxation burden or investors are offered attractive schemes where they can make money on providing an infrastructure.
Carbon pollution in the atmosphere is contributing to global warming, we need to alter our power generation infrastructure to reduce CO2 output. This needs funding.
My big gripe is that we "export" much of our CO2 generation to places like China and India when we buy imports from those countries. In effect the people who make their money from importing goods are subsidised because they pay no carbon levy. The whole cost of infrastructure upgrade is dumped onto our power bills. We need to balance this by adding a carbon levy onto imported manufactured goods.
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
nanotm
Pro

the amount of carbon produced dureing the industrial revolution pails into insignificance when compared ot the amount of carbon released into the atmosphere by all the people breathing.
if you really want something done about the amount of carbon in the atmosphere you need to lower the population of the planet and simultaneously increase the amount of woodlands occupying the planets surface, another thing that would need to be done would be to build high rise buildings instead of the sprawling mess covering up the countryside acre by acre every year and return much of current urban areas to there former greenfield lands
Community Veteran

the amount of carbon produced dureing the industrial revolution pails into insignificance when compared ot the amount of carbon released into the atmosphere by all the people breathing. 

Don't forget the foxes!  They breath too!  Grin
nanotm
Pro

as does every other animal on the planet, my point is that carbon tax was/is a new version of fools gold the simplest way to capture and store carbon is through trees, the phenomenon the clever egg heads dreamed up called global warming has a direct correlative effect to deforestation, the cycle of life requires that the forests be replanted for life to continue, and far from planting 2 trees for every one cut down (as some companies profess to do) there should be an effort to plant 2 hardwood and 3 softwood trees for every person borne, and there might just be a point at which the planet starts to recover from all the ecological genocide that has been enacted in the name of progress to date ....
Community Veteran

Quote from: nanotm
... you need to lower the population of the planet ...

The bad guy in my book series shows you how ..
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

It is only the ignorance of humanity that thinks they are the sole reason for climate change, the Planet Earth has been through eons of climate changes long before man could even stand up and scratch himself, this is just another one that is a part of the cycle of our planet, it's just the people who think up of the numbers and bar graphs that convince the stupid that it is humans who are the only cause...
Volcanoes emit a lot of greenhouse gases, decomposing plant and animal matter release huge levels of greenhouse gases, the earth's orbit shifts slightly cooling or heating the planet, the ice caps melt and refreeze every now and then of their own accord, etc., we haven't existed long enough to document these changes properly, yes burning fossil fuels is a problem, but those would have erupted and caught fire eventually anyway, we're just taught to believe that we are the cause...
To put it simply, s'all money-making bow locks really... Grin
nanotm
Pro

Quote from: twocvbloke
, yes burning fossil fuels is a problem, but those would have erupted and caught fire eventually anyway, we're just taught to believe that we are the cause...

it might not be that we are the primary cause of the problems but certainly we have to take action to prevent our actions from making our planet an inhospitable wasteland, we don't need to poison the land nor do we need to pave over it or cut down all the trees without thought of replacing them, in the middle ages several species were hunted to extinction and only after they were gone was it apparent that they were a necessity, various types of trees were wiped out in the quest for resources only for it to be discovered they were needed because they performed more than one function, we do need to take action, but rather than expending vast amounts of wealth the measures required are relatively simple and cheap....
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

But the green taxes are regressive they hit the poor rather than the wealthy. The poor spend a higher proportion of their income on energy and are least able to take any action to adopt energy saving measures. And has been said the case is not 100% proven more of a middle class fad.
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

One major problem is that there is no agreement between every country on the planet on what should be done and there never will be, we drive up our costs by introducing these measures whilst in other countries, in some cases poorer than us continue to destroy forests along with the eco systems they support.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

And I find it hard to argue with developing nations that the West has had the benefit of plentiful cheap energy in the past and that they need it now  to benefit their own people and develop their own economies. The prioritise reliability and cheapness rather than a low carbon footprint.
When I worked for Sonel in Cameroon (the state electricity company) it was understood that large sections of the population couldn't afford the true cost of electricity and there was a tacit agreement allowing large scale theft of electricity by means of illicit taps.  Huh
To do is to be - Neitzsche
To be is to do - Kant
do be do be do - Sinatra
nanotm
Pro

which was how the UK energy sector grew until parliament legislated and called it a universal service.....
the major problem with the developing world could actually be avoided by building the green power generation systems (like wind and solar) which whilst initially expensive are very cheap to maintain and then the cost of the power generated is cheap so making a charge of a few pence per day per property would see them have a universal supply situation that was nationally affordable (obviously charge the businesses more to subsidise the system) that way although they would need to sell 30 year bonds to raise the investment cash upfront they would still generate the cash over time to see a return on that several times the intial cost in a 30 year period, of course that requires a long term economic plan and the people in power with the will to get the job done, going for cheap to build dirty power stations is a nonstarter as they have much higher running costs and a shorter lifespan making them a higher cost alternative.
your right that taxation on energy always effects the poor more than the rich, the government tax of 5% on energy in this country was supposed to fund the national infrastructure support and replacement program (new power lines etc) but the fund was done away with at some point in the past and companies implemented the standing charge ostensibly to do the same thing and then use it to bolster profits instead having loaded the cost into the price per unit as well..... I don't mind paying for the upkeep of the service but the wholesale theft being undertaken by the companies needs to stop.
and in the developing world it would be a good idea if they utilise a state funded company as a universal service provider and don't allow private companies (just a commission to control the charges levied on customers) and indeed that would protect the people of the country from corporate theft we experience on a daily basis, so in many regards they are well placed to benefit from the mistakes made in the developed world by not making them themselves