Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ikea

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Ikea

I see Ikea is to close down its Coventry store putting 350 jobs at risk.

Have we fallen out of love with all that is Swedish and is Ikea going to go the same way as Habitat and that everyday sale store MFI.

Shame really and not to everyone's taste as their furniture especially did have a bit of a budget feel about it, but they did a good range of rather innovative stuff for the kitchen... and great shelves. Boring I know, but I liked 'em - which is more than I can say for their simply atrocious hot dogs which you could not resist but hated yourself for it afterwards!

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
21 REPLIES 21
Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

Re: Ikea

Building a store in a Coventry city centre block is not a good thing, especially with IKEA where people neeed a big carpark close by to take their flatpacks home - ever tried getting a flat pack onto a bus ?  Whoever decided to build a massive store there needs sacking, build them out of town with a huge car park.

Highlighted
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 943

We've got an Ikea in Sheffield that's relatively close to the city centre with a really big car park and it seems to work well. 

Most of the furniture in my house is from there, I like the style, it's cheap and pretty long lasting in my experience. Thumbs_Up

Having said that I've replaced the coffee table twice, but that's over 10 years and at about £17 each you can't really go wrong.

As part of the Ikea experience whenever I go I always visit the cafe for food and tea while deciding what to buy. 

I'd be disappointed if the store were to close down around these parts. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Anoush Mortazavi
 Plusnet Help Team
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

Well that might explain it then. 

Never been to the store in Coventry, just the one south of Paris, Croydon, and Cardiff all of which have massive car parks - but none as I recall with a bus stop. 😃

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

@Minivanman wrote:

but none as I recall with a bus stop. 😃

You should visit the one in Gateshead, it has it's very own bus stop in the car park on a circular route that goes around from the metro centre via other stores in the area, plus two mainline stops on the road outside the car park... 😁

And carrying the uprights for their Hejne shelves on a bus, mildly awkward, but doable, cos I've had to do just that... 😂

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Well Gateshead is a long way from here by bus, and unless they stock different items than Cardiff (my nearest one at two hours and eighty five miles away) - what's the point? 😂

I would take the Mrs more as she just loves the place, but she will insist on buying stuff we never actually went in there for!

Hang on though, I think I can smell hot dogs!

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,099

@Minivanman wrote:

@wotsup 

Well that might explain it then. 

Never been to the store in Coventry, just the one south of Paris, Croydon, and Cardiff all of which have massive car parks - but none as I recall with a bus stop. 😃

Err no. Ikea in Coventry has its own multistory car park with large lift access to every level also offers home delivery.

The problem is the multi floor lay out makes it unweidly to navigate.

It was an interesting idea, but ultimately didn't work.

Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@dvorak 

Not sure what you are saying there, that those I mentioned visiting have bus stops, or that Coventry (which I have never have) has a car park.

Highlighted
Fixes: 1,099

Coventry has a purpose built multi storey car park on the site.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Ikea Cardiff car park is on one level, but access after pick up is via a lift and that seems to work just fine.

Highlighted
Seasoned Champion

This is one of the reasons town and city centre business sites  are becoming

a bad place to do business...build it out of town with a decent carpark, 'and they will come'

The law of unintended consequences cover this, government is worried about the demise of the high street

and trying to encourage businesses - while doing stuff that discourages the customers.... Doooohhhhhhh.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/news/coventry-news/coventry-congestion-charge-clean-air-16372736

Highlighted
Community Veteran
Fixes: 41

IKEA southampton is a multi story carpark...after struggling in , and eventually finding a parking space..... . you get a lift up to the top floor,... then you HAVE to walk on a set route ... designed so that you pass EVERY item on sale, on each floor, slooooooooowly... very sloooooooly ... especiallly on a sat`day or sunday you amble down through the floor levels, to the basement, where you can pick up any purchases you may have been gullible to buy on the way through sheer boredom... only to find that you must then take the lift back up to the top floor ( about 5 or 6 .... maybe more) to get another lift down to the level of your car... once in the car.. you then have to drive ... sloooooooowly  down the helter skelter exit road, to the basement to pick up any "larger" items, before rejoining the queue, if someone is kind enough to let you in,.. and then queue to exit the site, on to the main road, where the traffic is also horrendous... as everyone is now going home, thoroughly miserable, because of the traffic jams...

Ooh... don`tcha just love shopping at IKEA ! ! Undecided

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

@wotsup 

"This is one of the reasons town and city centre business sites are becoming a bad place to do business"

From what I'm observing and certainly in my local town, shops that supply needs are now becoming 'shops' that supply wants.

Many are becoming rather bohemian if that's the right word with craft sellers, coffee shops that we used to call cafes and tiny twee antique establishments - which are all very nice if you wear baggy trouses, have a neatly (optional) trimmed beard along with a bun in your hair - and sandals with socks are an abosolute must. 

Oh hang on, haven't we seen those types in Ikea and wasn't that where it all started? 

Highlighted
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 5

Went to Ikea once, on the Purley Way.  Got lost inside the shop !.

Highlighted
Aspiring Legend

Blimey, does that mean Croydon has two of 'em.

I know the one using part the old power station in Old Town, but not that one. Was in built on the site of the open air swimming pool? 

Used to freeze my nuts off there... well almost. 😬