cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you want cheap booze -

Seasoned Pro

Re: If you want cheap booze -

I've lived with depression for well over ten years now @twocvbloke and from my experience alcohol make matters WORSE. No solution at the bottom of a bottle!

If life gives you lemons, make lemonade.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 3

Only 10? been with it since my teens (I'll be 33 in august), alcohol is no solution I'll admit, but damn does it make you temporarily forget the illogical misery brought about by chemical imbalances in the brain coupled with life in general treating you like rubbish...

(I'm in the midst of a depressive slump at the moment, so, positive thoughts are few & far between)

Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Ah yes, the poor drinking all the booze. Huh

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2018/may/01/wealthy-professionals-most-likely-to-drink-alcohol-r...

Compare yourself to who you were yesterday, not who somebody else is today
Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

Along the same lines, has anyone else seen the news article in the Telegraph that ecstasy is highly effective in treating PTSD. Just a few weeks treatment sees a significant improvement. Ban alcohol and legalise ecstasy I say.

Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
Hero
Fixes: 5

I can't remember the details but I saw a TV program probably 2-3 years ago in which it had been discovered that a single dose of MDMA pretty much alleviated the symptoms of the person taking part.  I can't remember the disease in question, but the patient had a tremor and had very little manual co-ordination, but as soon as the MDMA kicked in (normally about 30-60 minutes) the participant could do things such as writing or walking more or less perfectly.

Community Veteran
Fixes: 15

But you must have spotted the flaw ?

How hard is it to travel to england and buy the stuff at a cheaper price ?

Will not be long before a man with a white van stocks up in England and sells the stuff at a lower price in Scotland whilst still making a tidy profit ?

I will be picking the van up tomorrow, there will be no shortage of customers, who says it's hard to make money ?

Cheesy

Community Veteran

@AlaricAdair wrote:

Along the same lines, has anyone else seen the news article in the Telegraph that ecstasy is highly effective in treating PTSD. Just a few weeks treatment sees a significant improvement. Ban alcohol and legalise ecstasy I say.

But the question is, ' How long does that improvement last ' ?

The next question is, 'Are you more likely to become more addicted to ecstasy than alcohol ?'

@AlaricAdair

I know your last sentence was said in jest ( I think)

Smiley

Community Veteran

If you want a laugh then nitrous oxide might be your thing.

Grin

Aspiring Pro

Just to confirm, this is just in Scotland, so "kicking Parliament out" probably isn't the answer. As for it being a stealth tax, am I right in thinking that it's a minimum price, not additional tax (and is designed to stop supermarkets selling cheap alcohol below cost price as a loss leader). - admittedly that will lead to a small rise in VAT income.

Cards on the table, I live in England, and don't drink alcohol anyway (Salvation Army member, and choose not to), but I'm reminded of a story about Charles Dickens walking along the road with a friend, and he gave some money to a man begging at the road-side. The friend chastised Dickens, saying the beggar would only spend the money on booze. Dicken's response was, "I certainly hope so. That's what I was going to do with it!"

Aspiring Champion

1109-1024-4

Community Veteran
Fixes: 21

@gleneagles the thought HAD crossed my mind 😉
Said to SHMBO yesterday "all that will happen is that sales will continue but from crooks rather than supermarkets". There is already a market for cheap booze in England (from France etc), it is just creating a market in Scotland for booze bought in England. I will be stocking up when I am in Durham in a couple of weeks time, probably save enough to pay for the holiday 😉
Hero
Fixes: 9
Aspiring Champion

Though this was meant to be a discussion group not a reference library....