cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you thought you were having a bad week

Anonymous
Not applicable

If you thought you were having a bad week

If you thought you were having a bad week fund manager Neil Woodford and broker Hargreaves Lansdown defiantly are.

Its a pity that inexperienced investors wanting to get better returns than low interest rates are caught up this

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-48573510

https://www.ftadviser.com/investments/2019/06/03/woodford-suspends-dealing-on-equity-income-fund/

Brian A    

7 REPLIES 7
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend
Fixes: 1

Re: If you thought you were having a bad week

Not sorry to say I have little sympathy when investors inexperienced of otherwise get their fingers burnt when chasing easy money like this.   

Don't limit the friends you haven't met with arguments you'll never have.
wotsup
Seasoned Champion

Greedy people are targeted by such schemes, remember ' if it seems too good to be true it most probably is'

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman @wotsup I'm sorry; I do not understand your hyper-critical comments on people, who invested in Woodford's fund. At the outset it may have dome well, and Woodford had been a successful fund manager with Invesco. I don't think folk were investing for easy money, as you say: more like those not in the loop, as deterioration set in did not move out timely.

Of course Woodford's track-record at Invesco was an attractive come-on, but many in many fields and of wide degrees of knowledge are prone to  take decisions based on that.

For myself, when Woodford went independent, I did think he needed to prove himself without the corporate support environment, so would not (could not) have invested at the time.

As to easy money, if that is what you think of investment in a sector that in general is wide based then a sock inder the creaky floorboard is for you, and also for your pension fund managers.

No risk: no reward. Generally we all benefit,

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
idonno
Aspiring Champion
Fixes: 6

@Luzern wrote:As to easy money, if that is what you think of investment in a sector that in general is wide based then a sock inder the creaky floorboard is for you, and also for your pension fund managers.

No risk: no reward. Generally we all benefit,

Very true. I play around with the stock market (small scale) but there is one rule I don't break, no matter how good the fund manager (supposedly) is, one doesn't invest in just one fund. Those that have really shouldn't have been investing in shares.

Have I been disappointed with my returns to date? Hardly, some make a savings account interest rate of 5% look like small fry. But you do need to keep looking at the performance of whatever the money is invested in. Its certainly not like a bank with fixed returns.

Ever helpful. Grin Sure, I’d love to help you out. Now which way did you come in?
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

I was not being "hyper-critical" of the stock market per se although I have good reason to be. I was being critical of those that play the market itself in order to get rich quick from investments. As for all of us benefiting because of our pensions well I'm sure those whose fund managers put their trust in the likes of Enron would disagree.

You take the risk you take the loss, just don't expect to take the sympathy when you do that's all I'm saying.

"But they that will be rich fall into temptation and snare...."

Oh yes, and that stock market crash a few short years back? I lost well over half of my small private pension which today pays me out the grand sum of just over £100 a month and although it's by the by, the DWP takes that off my Pension Credit which I would have had no need to claim in the first place had the market over which I had no control or say in, not gone pear shaped so thanks guys, well done. Thumbs_Up

Luzern
Hero
Fixes: 9

@Minivanman  I posted from what I saw in the posts. For any of my misjudgments I apologise.

That your misfortune should have been so great is awful, but had your investment manager spread your money well, I'm thinking.

Troubles like yours are utterly personal in their impact, and no other person can really understand. However investing seems to have been beneficial over a very long time.

No one has to agree with my opinion, but in the time I have left a miracle would be nice.
Minivanman
Aspiring Legend

@Luzern 

Thanks.

It could have been much worse and it was pure luck that I took 25% out via the pension drawdown option just before the poop hit the fan. Small mercies and all that, but it did enable me to complete the house restoration I was working on, the sale of which enabled us to by a place back here in Wales when I retired. 

So all's well that ends well, sort of. Smiley