cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you stand behind the Car Boot Sale table..

Community Veteran
Fixes: 1

If you stand behind the Car Boot Sale table..

Back in April we downsized and moved from London to the "Frozen Norf", well Derbyshire to be exact. The process has left us with about 20 large cardboard boxes to be unpacked. As we've not required the contents in the past six months we've decided to go to the car boot sale with the boxes. This of course was the ideal opportunity for me to buy some new "essential" equipment in preparation for the car boot sale...
I'm now the proud possessor of a brand new iZettle.com CHIP and PIN card reader. This device costs at £100, but there are no monthly fees and the transaction commission rate is quite low, better than Paypal. The reader unit Bluetooth connects into my Android tablet (also iphone/iPad - spit!). I can now take Visa/Mastercard/Maestro/Amex/JCB payments. I've been playing with it this afternoon and taking card payments from myself. It all works quite well so when someone wants to pay me £150 for a genuine antique Hayes Smart Modem at the Car Boot Sale I'm all set to rake in the money.
The point of the above ramblings is that iZettle is based in Sweden. My son was working as a programmer for a British financial company (not a bank) and about three years ago built a working commercial quality card payment acceptance device . It was based around the iPhone. However the British company backed out of the project when resistance was raised by British banks. It was a chance for  Britain to seize a chunk of a developing market but the Establishment protecting their profit margins killed off the idea. The consequence is we know see "Johnnie Foreigner" taking the initiative.
Grrr....
Now Zen, but a +Net residue.
3 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Re: If you stand behind the Car Boot Sale table..

Unfortunately mate, britain has absolutely no interest in developing new stuff and advancing humanity. This country has stalled development wise.
Alll anyone cares about here is riches and making money out of other people (and often their misery). Japan and China are the big developers now, we're useless at doing anything. Look at the frustrations James Dyson had with his original dyson design. The vacuum cleaner companies didn't want to know because they knew it would put their consumables supply line out of business. They could have just bought him off for a few million instead but they chose to completely ignore him. Lucky for us he was one of the few willing to risk everything he had to progress the idea but there was no interest in this sad little country to help him advance it, he had to go it alone.
The UK used to be not only inspirational but also very respected for its engineering and research. Now we're pretty much useless. I admire your son for doing what he did but he needed to be abroad for something like that because this country is stuck in the past when it comes to anything money related - the rich are all thats important and nothing else.
Morons like David Cameron and Nick Clegg keep spouting magic words about industry, manufacturing and stuff like that but its all meaningless words. As long as they and their chums are ok stuff the rest of the population.
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 56

Quote from: 7up
Morons like David Cameron and Nick Clegg virtually all our politicians keep spouting magic words about industry, manufacturing and stuff like that but its all meaningless words. As long as they and their chums are ok stuff the rest of the population.
Slight correction - sorry but I am even more cynical than you it appears
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

I never thought /I'd see the day OJ  Grin
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!