cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you punch a steel plate it hurts

Community Veteran
Fixes: 55

If you punch a steel plate it hurts

I don't normally post links from here http://nannyknowsbest.blogspot.com/2009/10/veni-vidi-vici.html partly because it is normally just a pinch from the Daily Mail and partly because the language isn't usually suitable for this forum - however I thoght this was an interesting example of there is always someone else who is to blame
Last year a yob punched a legionary in full armour (18swg) and broke his wrist. The teenage pupil was at one of our shows we do every year for a Water Board. The 15 years old boy asked if the re-enactor's armour was plastic. He was told it was heavy steel but he then assaulted the poor man, who of course felt nothing but found himself staring down at a youth rolling on the ground in agony with a broken wrist.
The teacher in charge of his group, scolded our Member for wearing ‘dangerous real armour’ and we faced several months of hell- 32 letters, threats, and finally a hearing in court against a professional Barrister, funded by a local authority claiming damages for the incident in favour of the boy, who stood to one side of the court grinning at the victim of his assault. The case has cost us £3,200 in time and finally engaging a Solicitor, who agreed to waive most of the other fees. He was as incensed as we were.
Last week, the Recorder threw the case out with the remark to the young man, ‘If you are so stupid as to punch steel plate, when not only a clear warning was given but only a complete idiot would not see that the armour was real, then you deserve what happened to you, no matter how painful!'

5 REPLIES
Community Veteran
Fixes: 2

Re: If you punch a steel plate it hurts

Stand up the recorder and take a well deserved bow. Common sense at long last prevails. I suppose its too much to ask that the yob was obliged to pay all the court costs etc.
Experience; is something you gain, just after you needed it most.

When faced with two choices, simply toss a coin. It works not because it settles the question for you. But because in that brief moment while the coin is in the air. You suddenly know what you are hoping for.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

You honestly have to wonder don't you... how did it go so far in the first place?
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: Petlew
Stand up the recorder and take a well deserved bow. Common sense at long last prevails. I suppose its too much to ask that the yob was obliged to pay all the court costs etc.

Read the blog - I think you will approve!
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
VileReynard
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 9

Surely it's a legionnaire, not a legionary?
And were the Romans able to manufacture "steel plate" - it seems doubtful!

Community Veteran
Fixes: 55