Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you liked Bernard Manning..

ste
Grafter

If you liked Bernard Manning..

..does it make you a racist?
Almost everyone I mentioned his death to yesterday gave me funny looks, and said things like "Good Riddance." and "Racist fat b******."  -- I couldn't believe it  Huh
I don't think people realised how much the bloke did for charity.
What do you think?
16 REPLIES
glloyd
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Re: If you liked Bernard Manning..

If he was a racist why was his club filled with many of the people he told jokes about? Trouble is these days you dare not tell a joke that mentions any race or colour without being branded a racist.
prichardson
Grafter

He was of a different generation and it was likely this, that he got away with many comments clearly worse, than those banded about in the likes of Big Brother.
The BBC has a news article (citing other news, but I aint read that yet) about him penning his own obituary.
There is a quote which rings so true, it set my mixed feelings about him aside
Like him or loathe him there was no way of ignoring him
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: ste
.I don't think people realised how much the bloke did for charity.

I wasn't aware that doing a lot for charity gave one carte blanche to be a racist!
A very funny man, shame he resorted to some of the material he did.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£13/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ste
Grafter

I wasn't aware that being a comedian gave carte blanche for some people to say the nasty stuff I've been hearing, either.
pdavidson
Grafter

I think people are right when they say that it had something to do with a different generation. Nothing gives anyone the right to be racist but we can't judge the past by the standards and taboos we have today.
I think we have to remember that things considered racist today were previously just another joke that poked fun at someone different to the comedian. Maybe we're wiser now, and maybe we're not. Maybe we're all losing the ability to laugh at ourselves.
As a woman I've laughed myself to tears over some of the Lee Evan sketches involving womens behaviour during an arguement but I know other women who'd leap at the chance to claim it's sexist.
I suppose what I'm saying there is that the real barrier between being "<insert anything here>ist" and staying the right side of the line is whether or not you're having a good humoured poke at a behaviour that's different from yours or making out that the behaviour in question is bad/stupid/wrong. It's the intention that people have to worry about rather than the words and our focus should be on stopping those with bad intentions who take or incite action against people just because we're not all the same.
Went off on a bit of a tangent there didn't I? I'm not a BA for nothing..... :/
Big_Jay
Dabbler

The problem is everyone has becomce so obsessed with what is and isn't racist, it's hard to ever know what the right thing is to say. For instance, the recent big brother stuff over the use of the 'N' word as they put. Does that mean that black people using it as a term of endearment (as you often hear especially in films) but that not accepting it from people outside the black community means they are being racist? And if so is it for using it themselves or for not accepting it's use by others?
From that you get into the whole grey area of 'the meaning behind a words use' which is a whole huge can of sardines to open.
End of the day, there always ahs and always will be comedy about racial difference. Wether you choose to accept it or revile it, is nothing more than personal choice. And while that choice may affect what other people think of you, so does the colour of your shirt or your preference in the canteen at lunchtime.
Guy was funny, some material was far less than politically correct, some people accepted it some didn't, nuff said.
Big_Jay
Dabbler

Sorry think i may have turned this into a 'has racism all gone mad' kinda discussion from here on lol
glloyd
Rising Star

Why is it racsim when refering to some races and not others. My wife is Irish I have never known her or her family or friends be offended by Irish jokes. In fact some of the best ones I've heard were from Irish people. The same applies to the Welsh (I'm Welsh).
A couple of years ago there was a series of comedy programs on channel 4 that had an all black audience and all black cast. 90% of the joke told on that program was aimed at white people and many of the names used to refer to them were less than flattering yet not one protest of racism.
I think some people are able to accept jokes about themselves and laugh at them whilst others play the race card. Many in Bernard Mannings audience were the very people he cracked jokes about.
Ianwild
Grafter

As you asked, my take equates to:
Borat and his Cultural Learnings of America for Make Benefit Glorious Nation of Kazakhstan = Racist and funny.
Bernard Manning = Racist and not very funny.
Ian
eeldu

Why can't  one  dislike other races .  I think the problem  arises  because we are inundated with differnet  cultures  which are completely alien to the English  way of life -  Why is it a crime  to want our own people here in the UK and no one else    I dont want  all and sundry  to  come and swamp  our island  so I suppose  Im a racist. I will never change my views  on non English just dont like them .
I  thought  Bernard  Manning  spoke in a comical way  what  grass roots englsihmen thought .  I admired his  jokes  whoever they  were about
Sweechgate

What a hot topic;
If you set aside the content, and bearing in mind I am one of the minorities he ripped into, I loved his comedy act because he had immense talent, timing and was a master of his unique art. He clearly was passionate about his craft and never pretended that he was anything but a simple man, he had no ego unlike some modern bland alternative "to" comedy acts. He was charitable in heart as well as in supporting the needy.
I do not believe that dishing insults without malice in comedy is in itself racism. Would you say that Father Ted insult the Catholics & Irish people? Do you find that funny, or is that a taboo subject too? Are we going to check and censor every comedy script?
Rowan Atkinson Spoke to the Lords on 25.1.05 2005 defending this very freedom, Would you say he is a racist and a religious bigot?
http://www.eclipse.co.uk/thoughts/rowanatkinson.htm
Sometimes an art form is not appreciated by everyone but that does not excuses trying to ban it (exceptions do apply) but at the end of the day it made me laugh, just as much as Borat, Tony Hancock, Alf Garnet, Bob Monkhouse...etc.    Is that a crime?
Some of these comedians does (or did) enormous good charity work, and one should not automatically associate their specialty comedy brand with their personal views. It is just a stage act after all, albeit controversial by today's sensitized double standards.
Would it make us more civilized if we were to erase all references or archive footage of this kind of comedy from our historical banks?
Now remind me, Why did the chicken cross the road...?
Community Veteran

Quote from: glloyd
Why is it racsim when refering to some races and not others. My wife is Irish I have never known her or her family or friends be offended by Irish jokes. In fact some of the best ones I've heard were from Irish people. .

Don't the Irish tell their Irish jokes about "Kerry men"?
I don't know what Kerry men think of this.
I find it every sad the way that the whole PC thing has gone. We should be able to laugh together about each other with out worrying about offending each other.
glloyd
Rising Star

Indeed they do just as most countries tell jokes about people from other parts of their country.
It has long been my belief that many that shout racism are in fact racist themselves. People who cannot laugh at themselves are in my opinion very sad people.
ste
Grafter