cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

If you had a 3D printer, what do you think you'd be most likely to print?

TORPC
Grafter

If you had a 3D printer, what do you think you'd be most likely to print?

Some staggering results from http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/polls/vote/

I voted for Clinical (e.g. prosthetic limb)
What's yours  Wink
17 REPLIES
Devonian
Grafter

Re: If you had a 3D printer, what do you think you'd be most likely to print?

I wonder if I could print a car?
It might take a while, but I'm a patient guy.  Grin
TORPC
Grafter

Matchbox size, will be a tad quicker Roll eyes Wink
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool What no adult toys on that list? I guess that's the Fun category.
On [ German ] TV was some guy using his RepRap to stimulate interest in 3D printing.
He must have been using a lot of PLA ( filament )
Brings a new meaning to that classified ad of old - Discrete Adult Printing Service
Community Veteran

I'd print parts to make a better 3D printer.
I have 90% of a homebuilt CNC / 3D printing  machine but some of the bearing houses could do with reworking.
Community Veteran
Fixes: 7

I always wanted to invent things so for me it would be little parts to make a bigger thing such as things you would need to make with a mould etc which most folks cannot do at home - i always wanted to make things / invent but never had a chance
I need a new signature... i'm bored of the old one!
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

Quote from: 7up
I always wanted to invent things so for me it would be little parts to make a bigger thing such as things you would need to make with a mould etc which most folks cannot do at home - i always wanted to make things / invent but never had a chance
Probably illegal due to copyright but what about Lego, even design bits the official source don't make.
Fixes: 125

I'd print copies of SWMBO so she can be in the bedroom, kitchen and shops all at the same time Wink Cheesy Kiss

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

nanotm
Pro
Fixes: 1

I'd print lots of things your not supposed to .......
seriously though I'd probably create some form of vehicle and print the parts, given the current conditions round here it would have to be amphibious so being plastic wouldn't exactly be a drawback Smiley
just because your paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool NanoTM : You could even print your very own Aston Martin, as it seems most of the car is hand built from Chinese sourced plastic. At least your waterproof Aston would be 100% UK made - even though the RepRap is 100% made of Chinese parts.
nanotm
Pro

yeah I was thinking more of something submersible like the lotus they showed off in the bond movie all those years ago, except of course I had in mind that the wheels would remain in the normal drive position but have the aquadynamic spokes acting as steering (so nothing changes from land to water) but utilising some form of caterpillar drive (that's the water stream jet propulsion units fitted to jet skies and submarines that don't want the noise of screws.....) but as the whole vehicle would be made of printed plastic, the energy source would need to be eco friendly although I haven't figured out the air supply yet
but I'm sure that would be a simple enough problem to solve once I've figured out how to create a mac truck out of plastic that's fully submersible and yet still capable of normal driving operations, but being military minded I'd also have some form of plastic cannons mounted onto it and tender my construct as a new variant of stealth troop transporter for forward operations / assault carrier /supply ops where typical surface options were not practicable.........but then again plastic just doesn't offer the same level of ballistic /blast protection that sheet steal does (as the Israelis found out with there fibre glass missile cruiser)  so perhaps a more traditional floating platform (like a raft but without all the ropes and wood) printed as a single giant platform with wheels would be better suited to the purposes of mobility during floods......
meh i'll just get one and make a few dozen exploding pistols and sell them to the local gangsters, every time they fight each other there will be a two for one deal on deaths and serious injuries Grin
Thunderclap
Grafter

Cool NanoTM : Reading that reminded me of the infamous Soviet people's wagon, the deadly Trabant. It was made from 'duroplast'. An eco-marxists wet dream, duroplast was remelted recyled plastic with added recycled plastic. I understand the only thing not plastic on the monocoque body was the firewall, which was made from hardboard. You can see why East Germans took hammers to the The Berlin Wall. As what goes around comes around, maybe China Auto will be turning our plastic waste into 3D printed cars - ones you can play with in your local lake without a fishing license. Dear Top Gear / James May...
As for the ballistic properties of plastic, if you think about it, glass is only bullet proof because of the polymer layer. Even tank armor contains layers of plastic. Alegedly. With 3D printing, I would like to build a resin-carbon-fibre printer. Then scale it up to the size of an industrial milling machine. And print a light aeroplane. Just because I can.
nanotm
Pro

plastic coated to make it weather proof and to make it harder to spot through electronic means due to radar wave reflection properties of the outer layers......(actually that's the same for all military vehicles due to the type of paint used)
aircraft however are largely honeycomb structure of resin bonded compressed paper wafered between thin sheets of aluminium (to lower the weight whilst maintaining the structural integrity of the outer frame, the sub frame is of course a high tensile pure metal) if you want something that's technically superior you would need to figure out how to make the cyclonic resonance barrier then it really wouldn't matter what material you constructed a vehicle from, so long as it was sturdy enough to retain structure during use, something that's being experimented with for more than 20 years without any real success, the idea being that if you can make a vessel light enough but large enough to house all the equipment required for prolonged space travel then mount in the parts necessary for A.G (artificial gravity) and angle such things in a way that provides FTL gravimetric compensation  it would be possible to use cheap parts like plastic to create the vessel without fear of hull breach problems......never mind that such a barrier tech would have immeasurable uses here on earth (like personal safety devices/ storm shielding for ships and costal areas, flooding defence for large swaths of land etc, and that's totally ignoring the military uses for such devices)
I do seriously hope that 3D printers get cheaper to own and operate though because that will largely be the point at which many more closet inventors will start to create things that are truly innovate and massively beneficial to the human race, I read a report about how they cant be made cheaper because of the danger of people printing projectile weapons.........
Community Veteran
Fixes: 8

It will not be long before the type of illegal copying we have seen for Music, video and Software extends to hardware thus putting more firms out of business.
Counterfeit hardware has always been available but if the average person can copy stuff at home it will soon become widespread.
Thunderclap
Grafter

Quote from: nanotm
aircraft however are largely honeycomb structure of resin bonded compressed paper ...

That's the clever thing about my system, the printer prints the honeycomb - or a geodesic endoskelteton of the type that's found inside the microstructure of bird bones.
Quote from: nanotm
I do seriously hope that 3D printers get cheaper to own and operate though because that will largely be the point at which many more closet inventors will start to create things that are truly innovate and massively beneficial to the human race, I read a report about how they cant be made cheaper because of the danger of people printing projectile weapons.........

As if the bad guys cannot afford a room full of CubeX printers for their evil plan to dominate the world with an army of Bluetooth controlled nano-milliband robots.
The real eye watering bit - apart from overheating the filament - is the price of the filament rolls. They are becoming rather like the carts for 2D printers - affordable only by businesses. The Maker community needs to find something cheaper. I suggest super cooled water that spontaneously freezes when discaharged. Okay, that's of no use for a replacement gear knob on your unter-wasser Lotus, but great for party novalties, in Essex.